Johan Larsson

mjd1001

The moves will be for other NHL players.

Perhaps.  We'll see.  Kind of a shame though; it seems like both Larsson and Grigo are really developing chemistry.  And Girgs is Girgs.  I just don't like the thought of losing any of those guys at this point.  I'd almost rather waive Gionta.

Given the Sabres prospective line up, 3rd C does seem like the slot for him. especially if the draft brings us a top center and bumps Reinhart, Girgs, and even Grigs down. Some of those guys are going to need to move to wing.

I think you may see Grigorenko or Zemgus move to wing. They are big bodies who can play low in the corners.  The one thing about Grigorenko is that he can be a C/LW highbred where he takes faceoffs but generally slots in the wing position. 

I think you may see Grigorenko or Zemgus move to wing. They are big bodies who can play low in the corners.  The one thing about Grigorenko is that he can be a C/LW highbred where he takes faceoffs but generally slots in the wing position. 

It's a shame he can't be an RW, that's really where the team needs talented bodies.

This is my favorite spelling of hybrid ever.

They could theoretically put him there.  The only disadvantage is taking one timers coming across the ice really. 

And playing the pucks on the boards.  Realistically any handed player can play any position, they just have to get used to it.

Oh so like Leino? *Ducks*  :ph34r:

I find that I increasingly type internet stuff out as I say it in my head and a lot of the time it comes out more or less phonetically. Too many there/their/they're and to/two/too errors. Then I feel compelled to go back and clean them up.

Take the damn chicken off your head!! You'll type a lot better then!!!

Lol!

He should definitely be in open competition with Cody McCormick for the bottom line job as far as I'm concerned.  While Cody is signed for 2 more years at 1.5M figure, I just don't see the point of having him but as a bench or 13th or 14th forward.  With what Johan Larsson has done, he should have the chance to come into camp to compete and make the team regardless whether as a C or LW. 

Zemgus Girgensons > Johan Larsson

I mean we are discussing Larsson in a top 6 role but pretty much everyone considers Zemgus in that 3rd line role.  If Larsson is top 6 than Zemgus is top 3.  It would only be logical.

If people believe Johan Larsson is a top 6 forward their crazy.  Top 9, that would be debatable.  He's a good fit on the third line or fourth definitely.  He should be on the team as should Deslauriers.  

He should definitely be in open competition with Cody McCormick for the bottom line job as far as I'm concerned.  While Cody is signed for 2 more years at 1.5M figure, I just don't see the point of having him but as a bench or 13th or 14th forward.  With what Johan Larsson has done, he should have the chance to come into camp to compete and make the team regardless whether as a C or LW. 

If people believe Johan Larsson is a top 6 forward their crazy.  Top 9, that would be debatable.  He's a good fit on the third line or fourth definitely.  He should be on the team as should Deslauriers.  

The Sabres have a coming log jam. They have a bunch of C and LW prospects that are looking promising, but few RW. Rather than put a reasonably talented guy on the fourth line where he won't be playing to his potential, it probably makes sense to keep Cody Mc (or pick up the equivalent on the market) and use these assets to bring in better RWs. 

Zemgus Girgensons > Johan Larsson

I mean we are discussing Larsson in a top 6 role but pretty much everyone considers Zemgus in that 3rd line role.  If Larsson is top 6 than Zemgus is top 3.  It would only be logical.

I think when people talk Zemgus as a third-liner, they mean role, not value. They want him matched up against the toughest opposition, but still top-six, if not top-three, in ice time.

I wouldn't judge too quickly.

Larsson has shown the most growth of any prospect other than Risto.

He may be playing above his head right now, like Foligno did under similar circumstances as a rookie.

Or his AHL game (all situations two-way guy who can score points) may transfer completely to the NHL.

We won't know for a few years what he actually is, but the guy is earning his ice time.

think it would send a bad message to write him in as a part-time player before next season starts. 

The part I find interesting about this discussion about top six or not, is if not him, them whom?  Keep in mind my optic is 1-2 years.  Everyone seems to dismiss him as top six, but fails to indicate who on this current roster, AHL or draft will come in next year and be the two top centers.

So let's look at the list, subjectively, with a 1-2 years lens:

0.  Ennis:  Seems like his game is better when he is not the center.

1.  Girgensons:  Seems like he should be the shutdown center on the third line.  Not because he is not two top, but he could be the guy that helps keep the other teams top line in check.

2.  Grigs:  Not likely in my eyes.  He is making strides, but he needs some additional time.

3.  McDavid:  Too much pressure, too soon for top line, maybe second line.

4.  Reinhart:  Possibly, but has yet to show it on the NHL level.  Might be better at a wing for the next two years.

5.  Larsson:  Good fit between Moulson and Ennis.  Has established himself and shown he has the vision to work on top line.  Is getting minutes and playing well against the best the other teams have.

6.  Eichel: If not McDavid, then it's probably him.  Has not competed at a pro level yet.  Too soon to pencil him in ahead of anyone above him on the top two lines.  Until I see him compete above the amateur level, I can't anoint him.

7.  Free Agent Pickup/Trade:  Not sure who that would be.  Maybe a Staal could be traded/pried out of Carolina.  Free Agents look thin.

So who would be the top two centers from among THIS pool?  I know folks don't see him like I do, but I just don't get where the Center that replaces him comes from unless you believe it has to be Girgs, Ennis or McEichel.  He just might grow into the role with a couple of years of experience.

A civil debate would be appreciated.

Edited by wjag

The part I find interesting about this discussion about top six or not, is if not him, them whom?  Keep in mind my optic is 1-2 years.  Everyone seems to dismiss him as top six, but fails to indicate who on this current roster, AHL or draft will come in next year and be the two top centers.

So let's look at the list, subjectively, with a 1-2 years lens:

0.  Ennis:  Seems like his game is better when he is not the center.

1.  Girgensons:  Seems like he should be the shutdown center on the third line.  Not because he is not two top, but he could be the guy that helps keep the other teams top line in check.

2.  Grigs:  Not likely in my eyes.  He is making strides, but he needs some additional time.

3.  McDavid:  Too much pressure, too soon for top line, maybe second line.

4.  Reinhart:  Possibly, but has yet to show it on the NHL level.  Might be better at a wing for the next two years.

5.  Larsson:  Good fit between Moulson and Ennis.  Has established himself and shown he has the vision to work on top line.  Is getting minutes and playing well against the best the other teams have.

6.  Eichel: If not McDavid, then it's probably him.  Has not competed at a pro level yet.  Too soon to pencil him in ahead of anyone above him on the top two lines.  Until I see him compete above the amateur level, I can't anoint him.

7.  Free Agent Pickup/Trade:  Not sure who that would be.  Maybe a Staal could be traded/pried out of Carolina.  Free Agents look thin.

So who would be the top two centers from among THIS pool?  I know folks don't see him like I do, but I just don't get where the Center that replaces him comes from unless you believe it has to be Girgs, Ennis or McEichel.  He just might grow into the role with a couple of years of experience.

A civil debate would be appreciated.

What we are likely to see next year is four lines playing close to equal minutes, especially at the beginning,  with no undue pressure being out on any of the kids. While I could still see a veteran centerman being brought in, I think the more likely scenario would be a veteran winger and a veteran upgrade over Gorges.

For the record, I am a big fan of Larsson, expect Grigs to be traded although they may want to wait if they think playing him judicously could increase his value.

Maybe we SHOULD be saying...who does he fit with...and NOT what # rank of center should/could he be.

If he is a good fit between Moulson and Ennis.....long term (we have seen many line combos work short term, but not always long term), then keep him there.  If they play off of each other well, don't force someone else between Moulson and Ennis just because they "should" be better.

Whether that if your fisrt, second, or third line doesn't really matter. Next year, the lines that play the best will get the most ice time. I think the era of a dedicated first, second, and third line in the NHL doesn't have to still exist.

Edited by mjd1001

I really like Larsson. He was one of my first avatars (for a brief time) when the trade happened. But I still don't see him as a top-six center on a contender.

I was losing hope on him, but he's really come on strong late. He's been one of our best players, but that's not saying too much. He will hopefully continue to improve and maybe even prove us wrong, but I think all we'll need out of him is to be a guy that can move up and down on lines at both wing and center when we need him while consistently contributing as a bottom-six forward. If he can secure a spot in the bottom six while still being good enough to occasionally slide into the top six when players are out then he's a success story.

If there's a true success from this season it's Larsson. He was cast off to me until the most recent call up and appears to be one of those guys the light just went on. I'm really pleased with his progress. I believe he earns a spot next year and don't care what line it's on and hope he doesn't either.

I really like Larsson. He was one of my first avatars (for a brief time) when the trade happened. But I still don't see him as a top-six center on a contender.

I was losing hope on him, but he's really come on strong late. He's been one of our best players, but that's not saying too much. He will hopefully continue to improve and maybe even prove us wrong, but I think all we'll need out of him is to be a guy that can move up and down on lines at both wing and center when we need him while consistently contributing as a bottom-six forward. If he can secure a spot in the bottom six while still being good enough to occasionally slide into the top six when players are out then he's a success story.

Every good team has at least one player that exceeded expectations. I have no idea if the Sabres will be Larsson or Baptiste or Bailey but I will tell you that the same people that continually tell me how high they are on Pysyk going forward sing Larsson's praises. Some have even compared him to Forsberg, I know, heresy but who knows. I'm sure when Datsyuk came up there were people saying how he would be an awesome third line center but no comparison to Yzerman. You just never know who but I guarantee that there will be some surprises and some dissapointments.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.