Johan Larsson

mjd1001

Every good team has at least one player that exceeded expectations. I have no idea if the Sabres will be Larsson or Baptiste or Bailey but I will tell you that the same people that continually tell me how high they are on Pysyk going forward sing Larsson's praises. Some have even compared him to Forsberg, I know, heresy but who knows. I'm sure when Datsyuk came up there were people saying how he would be an awesome third line center but no comparison to Yzerman. You just never know who but I guarantee that there will be some surprises and some dissapointments.

Certainly. While Datsyukian-type surprises are becoming more and more rare with the way scouting has changed it'll still happen. You could probably find one or two guy on every contender that far surpassed their expectations and that's how they got where they are. Maybe Larsson does that. It would be a nice gift from Darcy.

What we are likely to see next year is four lines playing close to equal minutes, especially at the beginning,  with no undue pressure being out on any of the kids. While I could still see a veteran centerman being brought in, I think the more likely scenario would be a veteran winger and a veteran upgrade over Gorges.

For the record, I am a big fan of Larsson, expect Grigs to be traded although they may want to wait if they think playing him judicously could increase his value.

I expect them to bring in a D-man to pair w/ Bogo, so Risto and Gorges can be 2nd pair, w/ Pysyk (assuming his health is ok) w/ Zadorov, Weber, or another UFA as the 3rd pair.

IF they land McEichel, I expect Reinhart to start in Ra-cha-cha with McEichel, Larsson, and Grigo the top 3 centers.  (No good feel for the order early in the year.  Expect them to be 1-3-2 by New Years Day.)  Expect Kane & either Moulson or Ennis the top 2 winger.  The 1 that drops and Girgs on 2nd line.  With Gionta and Foligno or guy they bring in via trade on 3rd line.  Outside chance Hodgson would still be here.  On the unlikely chance that TN is back, no way Hodgson is back.  Expect Cody centering 4th line w/ Nick and ? on his wings.

Reinhart comes up before the end of the year.  IF they don't get McEichel; expect Reinhart in Buffalo in October and Girgs starts the year as 1 of the top 3 centers.

LT, I'd expect Larsson as a fixture on 3rd line (w/ top 6 duty when injury bug strikes).  But could see him as part of a package for a top line RW.  (Know I'd like to see him as part of the return if I gave up a top line guy for pieces of the future.)

Also, don't see them trading for ROR this off-season, but definitely see them going after him as a FA.

Also, expect a goalie brought in in the off-season (pretty sure that sentiment is near universal around here).

Edited by Taro T

The part I find interesting about this discussion about top six or not, is if not him, them whom?  Keep in mind my optic is 1-2 years.  Everyone seems to dismiss him as top six, but fails to indicate who on this current roster, AHL or draft will come in next year and be the two top centers.

So let's look at the list, subjectively, with a 1-2 years lens:

0.  Ennis:  Seems like his game is better when he is not the center.

1.  Girgensons:  Seems like he should be the shutdown center on the third line.  Not because he is not two top, but he could be the guy that helps keep the other teams top line in check.

2.  Grigs:  Not likely in my eyes.  He is making strides, but he needs some additional time.

3.  McDavid:  Too much pressure, too soon for top line, maybe second line.

4.  Reinhart:  Possibly, but has yet to show it on the NHL level.  Might be better at a wing for the next two years.

5.  Larsson:  Good fit between Moulson and Ennis.  Has established himself and shown he has the vision to work on top line.  Is getting minutes and playing well against the best the other teams have.

6.  Eichel: If not McDavid, then it's probably him.  Has not competed at a pro level yet.  Too soon to pencil him in ahead of anyone above him on the top two lines.  Until I see him compete above the amateur level, I can't anoint him.

7.  Free Agent Pickup/Trade:  Not sure who that would be.  Maybe a Staal could be traded/pried out of Carolina.  Free Agents look thin.

So who would be the top two centers from among THIS pool?  I know folks don't see him like I do, but I just don't get where the Center that replaces him comes from unless you believe it has to be Girgs, Ennis or McEichel.  He just might grow into the role with a couple of years of experience.

A civil debate would be appreciated.

I think this is a great analysis, except I have no doubt that McDavid will be a top-six centre if we are that fortunate. He is that good. Any shielding he gets will come from his wingers.

After that it's a free-for-all. What works against Larsson in the race to be one is his versatility. Like Girgensons, he shifts very easily to the wing. And I can't see a team with pure centre prospects like McEichel Rienhart and Grigorenko only using one of them as a top-three centre.

Edited by dudacek

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.