Johan Larsson

mjd1001

I think folks are underselling his potential here.  I see him as second line material, possibly even first.  When I watch him play, he is ALWAYS nosing around the net, goes in to the corner and has vision on the ice.  He is a nice compliment to Ennis and Moulson.  And he is 19...

I think folks are underselling his potential here. I see him as second line material, possibly even first. When I watch him play, he is ALWAYS nosing around the net, goes in to the corner and has vision on the ice. He is a nice compliment to Ennis and Moulson. And he is 19...

GMTM says bottom six.

GMTM says bottom six.

He doesn't actually set the lines on game night though, does he?  Put the best players out there and let the coach sort 'em.  It could be that one (or even both) of the boy wonders we'll have drafted won't be ready for top-6 duty at the NHL level this coming year.  Nice to have someone who can tow the weight if McEichel and/or Samson isn't ready.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

I think folks are underselling his potential here.  I see him as second line material, possibly even first.  When I watch him play, he is ALWAYS nosing around the net, goes in to the corner and has vision on the ice.  He is a nice compliment to Ennis and Moulson.  And he is 19...

19? No he's not 19, he's 22

I have questions about Zadorov but will patiently wait to see if a half season or more in Rochester helps to mold him. His ceiling is Pronger but his floor is Butler.

I don't think his ceiling is top five defenseman in the last 20 years. Maybe he'll play a similar style but I think his ceiling is our number 2 D man behind Risto.

Definitely. I love the kid and still have high hopes.

Just responding to Deluca's suggestion that he has cemented his place.

I feel comfortable enough in what I have seen from Zadorov to say a spot on the roster is his, if doesn't screw it up which I guess is a big "if". His only obstacle right now is maturity. I would be shocked if at this same time next year we are having a similar discussion.

That's crap. His floor is not Chris Butler. That's crap.

wooo deep breaths.  That comparison may have been a little harsh but Zadorov has major defensive zone awareness issues.  He missreads plays and chases the puck.  I think those can be corrected and although I have concerns I think he should start coming around next year.  The butler thing was more of if he doesn't apply himself, he could flame out and be a 5/6 defender.  Maybe a better comparison would be McNabb.  Physical yes with offensive bursts occasionally but something just is missing.  Again, I am not counting Zadorov out or anything, I fully expect him to show progress next year.  Hopefully he spends another summer in Buffalo training.  Risto could teach him a lot.

GMTM says bottom six.

I see Larsson as a very solid 3rd line center and occasional 2nd line fill in for the next little while.  Kid is solid.

I don't think his ceiling is top five defenseman in the last 20 years. Maybe he'll play a similar style but I think his ceiling is our number 2 D man behind Risto.

He has the raw tool set but I don't know if he will put it all together.

Ceiling means the best he could possibly be. Basement means the worst.  I expect Zadorov to be towards his ceiling but doubt he reaches it.

wooo deep breaths.  That comparison may have been a little harsh but Zadorov has major defensive zone awareness issues.  He missreads plays and chases the puck.  I think those can be corrected and although I have concerns I think he should start coming around next year.  The butler thing was more of if he doesn't apply himself, he could flame out and be a 5/6 defender.  Maybe a better comparison would be McNabb.  Physical yes with offensive bursts occasionally but something just is missing.  Again, I am not counting Zadorov out or anything, I fully expect him to show progress next year.  Hopefully he spends another summer in Buffalo training.  Risto could teach him a lot.

I see Larsson as a very solid 3rd line center and occasional 2nd line fill in for the next little while.  Kid is solid.

He has the raw tool set but I don't know if he will put it all together.

Ceiling means the best he could possibly be. Basement means the worst.  I expect Zadorov to be towards his ceiling but doubt he reaches it.

IMO, Zadorov's ceiling is a Anton Volchenkov type. A solid thumper on the back end that a team needs. Through 57 games of their rookie seasons their offensive production is almost identical. If Zadorov can be a more talented Volchenkov I believe we would all be happy with that.

Larsson a top line center in the NHL?

You should really raise your expectations for the franchise.

IMO, Zadorov's ceiling is a Anton Volchenkov type. A solid thumper on the back end that a team needs. Through 57 games of their rookie seasons their offensive production is almost identical. If Zadorov can be a more talented Volchenkov I believe we would all be happy with that.

That would be good.

I always liked the "A Train", in spite of the fact that he was a Senator (mostly).

Larsson a top line center in the NHL?

You should really raise your expectations for the franchise.

Why not?  I know the sample size is limited.  But imagine for just an instance if other teams could not just take away the one line Buffalo has.  Imagine a 1a/1b line that would make other team actually game plan against the Sabres.   He is getting legitimate game experience against the best other teams have on a nightly basis and he is holding up quite well.  He is getting the on-the-job training (OJT) the other kids in the system are not.  I like a lot of what I see in his game right now.  I think he has a chance.  Besides, unless GMTM pulls a 1a center out of his hat, he is kind of it for at least the next year.  A lot will depend on how Grigs, Girgs, McEichel and Rheinhart develop over the next few years.  

Edited by wjag

Why not?  I know the sample size is limited.  But imagine for just an instance if other teams could not just take away the one line Buffalo has.  Imagine a 1a/1b line that would make other team actually game plan against the Sabres.   He is getting legitimate game experience against the best other teams have on a nightly basis and he is holding up quite well.  He is getting the on-the-job training (OJT) the other kids in the system are not.  I like a lot of what I see in his game right now.  I think he has a chance.  Besides, unless GMTM pulls a 1a center out of his hat, he is kind of it for at least the next year.  A lot will depend on how Grigs, Girgs, McEichel and Rheinhart develop over the next few years.  

It took him 33 NHL games to score his first goal. While obviously playing with less talent, he was also playing against weaker talent too. Even Ted Nolan admitted several times this season that Larsson has failed to "earn" more ice-time.

In the stretch you're talking about, he has 1 goal in his last 10 games. Which was against Chicago, which by the way Larsson was on the ice for BOTH of the Toews goals late in the game.

Larsson has shown to be a pretty decent puck possesson player, a very effective faceoff guy and shown flashes that when given the oppertunity, he can score, but he has limitations. That's what is pointing him being a heck of a 4th line centerman with potential of playing on the 3rd.

It took him 33 NHL games to score his first goal. While obviously playing with less talent, he was also playing against weaker talent too. Even Ted Nolan admitted several times this season that Larsson has failed to "earn" more ice-time.

In the stretch you're talking about, he has 1 goal in his last 10 games. Which was against Chicago, which by the way Larsson was on the ice for BOTH of the Toews goals late in the game.

Larsson has shown to be a pretty decent puck possesson player, a very effective faceoff guy and shown flashes that when given the oppertunity, he can score, but he has limitations. That's what is pointing him being a heck of a 4th line centerman with potential of playing on the 3rd.

This is a pretty selective stat.

For the month of March, he has 9 points in 13 games: 3 goals and 6 assists.

In April, 2 points in 3 games: 1 goal and 1 assist.

He's been very good for us from March onward.  The day we acquired him, he was compared to Mikko Koivu.  For the last five weeks, he's looked like maybe he could be that type of player.

I think wjag is trolling everybody. We've seen nothing in Larsson that makes it seem even remotely likely that he could be a top-six center on a contender, let alone the number one center. He's a good bottom-six guy.

Also, I laughed at the following:

GMTM says bottom six.

Yeah like he knows.. :doh:

This is when I thought it was quite obvious that wjag is trolling.

I think it is safe to throw anything good or bad on the skeptical pile from the 2nd half of this season. Larsson has played good for a small stretch of the back end of a tank season? well whoopdedoo. if he continues doing this in preseason and into the next season I will take notice.

I think wjag is trolling everybody. We've seen nothing in Larsson that makes it seem even remotely likely that he could be a top-six center on a contender, let alone the number one center. He's a good bottom-six guy.

hmm..  never have been accused of trolling before.  Is it to hard to believe I think he has more potential than the prevailing opinion on here and the GM? 

Bad form on this accusation. Perhaps WJAG is exuberant but I can see Larsson sliding between the 4-6 and the 7-9 roles. He's been impressive with the minutes he's been given.

hmm.. never have been accused of trolling before. Is it to hard to believe I think he has more potential than the prevailing opinion on here and the GM?

I legitimately thought you were trolling. Larsson just doesn't have the makeup of a top-line center. Not even near it, I don't think.

The "like he knows" comment was when I thought it was obvious because you're essentially saying that the most plugged-in guy in the organization wouldn't know whether a guy is bottom-six vs the first-line opinion of somebody on a message board.

I think he's an ideal third line center, and is showing the brass that he belongs in Buffalo in that potential role.  He has the upside to play it depending on the line mates perfectly.  We'll see what happens, a top 6 role seems a little less likely IMO.  

I think he's an ideal third line center, and is showing the brass that he belongs in Buffalo in that potential role.  He has the upside to play it depending on the line mates perfectly.  We'll see what happens, a top 6 role seems a little less likely IMO.  

Given the Sabres prospective line up, 3rd C does seem like the slot for him. especially if the draft brings us a top center and bumps Reinhart, Girgs, and even Grigs down. Some of those guys are going to need to move to wing.

Given the Sabres prospective line up, 3rd C does seem like the slot for him. especially if the draft brings us a top center and bumps Reinhart, Girgs, and even Grigs down. Some of those guys are going to need to move to wing.

The moves will be for other NHL players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.