2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Neither does Kate Upton sitting on my face

:w00t:

Supposedly some think Logan Brown will be Vancouver's pick now that they traded for Gudbranson

Please let this happen.  Then we just need one of the D to get taken before us and we've got our choice between Keller and Nylander.

Supposedly some think Logan Brown will be Vancouver's pick now that they traded for Gudbranson

Wow, that would be a surge for Logan.  Great size and use of his body and control of the puck.  I just couldn't fathom that.  I had him in the 8-14 group of guys.  But, top 5.....blergh.  I wouldn't take him over Tkachuk or Dubois.  But they are odder and odder by the day in Vancouver.

All I want is Clayton Keller

And Kate Upton to sit on my face. 

+1 for the latter.  Tkachuk, Chychrun, Juolevi before Keller.  :)

Doubt it - Nylander is considered soft, Keller I think will be the better pro. I am often wrong.

Soft like his brother, who's looking very, very good? The scouts could be wrong but nearly every list has Nylander ranked well above Keller, Nylander is even top 5 in several.

Nylander - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=212641

Keller - http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226432

Look, I really like Keller as a prospect, but I'm beginning to think the fact that he'll very likely be available to us at 8 is inflating his prospect value here somewhat, because we know we'll likely be able to pick him there if that's who we want.

Edited by Thorny

Soft like his brother, who's looking very, very good? The scouts could be wrong but nearly every list has Nylander ranked well above Keller, Nylander is even top 5 in several.

Look, I really like Keller as a prospect, but I'm beginning to think the fact that he'll very likely be available to us at 8 is inflating his prospect value here somewhat, because we know we'll likely be able to pick him there if that's who we want.

Maybe, but wouldn't that also hold true for the defensemen? I don't sense unreasonably strong enthusiasm for them. That said, if Nylander is there, I take him over Keller...and I love me some Keller.

Hard to say...maybe because there are 3 D to pick between, they are getting compared and contrasted and therefore critiqued a lot? Keller is probably on his own level for forwards likely available at 8. I would love to take Keller if we are picking at 8. Provided the other 6 forwards are gone. To me, Keller over Nylander would be a stretch.

Maybe, but wouldn't that also hold true for the defensemen? I don't sense unreasonably strong enthusiasm for them. That said, if Nylander is there, I take him over Keller...and I love me some Keller.

Given the pick of a questionable forward versus a questionable defenseman, people are usually going to get excited about the forward. It's human nature. Fans like the prospect of goals.

I think for me personally, Nylander falls against three biases:

• I prefer my players to outwork and outsmart. He might have those qualities too, but I haven't seen them yet. I — perhaps unfairly — identify his game too much with his brother and his dad.
  • I want my two remaining top six guys (after Sam, ROR, Evander and Jack) to be hard to play against — ideally an elite goal scorer (he might be, but I think good is more likely than elite) and a bull (he won't be). A combination of Nylander and Ennis won't cut it.
  • I don't like the Leafs. I have developed an irrational dislike of his brother and I want him to fail, so I am guilty of transferring that on to Alex.

He clearly has talent and if Murray thinks he's the best choice, I will trust that. I just won't be rooting for it to happen.

If he's got the right stuff, I will be easily won over.

I'm leaning hard towards defenseman in this draft unless Tkachuk falls, which just isn't going to happen. I just think a top 6 forward is going to be a lot easier to find in FA than a top 2-3 defenseman will be over the next few years. Just looking at recent Cup contenders, I think our forward group is a lot closer than our blueliners. For example, the main lines Chicago rolled with when they won last year...

• Kane-Eichel-Reinhart
  • Ennis-O'Reilly-FA winger

looks a lot more like

• Saad-Toews-Kane
  • Bickell-Richards-Hoss

than

• McCabe-Ristolainen
  • Gorges (Ghule?)-Bogo 

looks like

• Keith-Hjalmarsson
  • van Riemsdyk-Seabrook

Obviously there's a lot more to it (bottom 6, bottom pairing, coaching). Didn't want to waste your time and bandwidth on all that since this is just one silly example that is honestly more confirmation bias than evidence haha. But man, I want those lockdown top-two pairings. I just fear if we go BPA forward and none of our defensemen in the pipelines pan out, we'll be grasping for someone to pair with Risto. Or McCabe will develop and fit up there but that leaves us with someone-Bogo as a second pairing? I won't lose any sleep if we go Nylander or someone else and honestly I'll be just as excited for Jack's future winger. I just would be leaning D if I'm GMTM. Unless he's got a big plan to improve the top 4 in FA or trade :) 

I think for me personally, Nylander falls against three biases:

• I prefer my players to outwork and outsmart. He might have those qualities too, but I haven't seen them yet. I — perhaps unfairly — identify his game too much with his brother and his dad.
  • I want my two remaining top six guys (after Sam, ROR, Evander and Jack) to be hard to play against — ideally an elite goal scorer (he might be, but I think good is more likely than elite) and a bull (he won't be). A combination of Nylander and Ennis won't cut it.
  • I don't like the Leafs. I have developed an irrational dislike of his brother and I want him to fail, so I am guilty of transferring that on to Alex.
He clearly has talent and if Murray thinks he's the best choice, I will trust that. I just won't be rooting for it to happen.

If he's got the right stuff, I will be easily won over.

The top 4 you listed already seem like hard to play against players, I don't have a problem with some pure skill being inserted. Some finishing ability.

This place has Keller fever. That's right, infatuation over a 5'10" 170lb forward. Hell I remember hearing how Reinhart was only 6'1" 190 so he might not be big enough. Keller at 8 would be fine but other players like nylander or the defenders are also good. Don't get tunnel vision on Keller.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.