2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

The Sabres are currently 8th in the draft order, granted a few teams behind them have games in hand, but at what draft position would you consider trading the 2016 1st for an established player under the age of 24? This was discussed on WGR this morning.

Personally I would not do it this, because of where the draft is located.

As always, depends on the player and pick. Would I trade #5 straight up for Fowler? Probably not. Lindolm? Now we're talkin!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2016-nhl-draft-lottery-simulator-percentage-auston-matthews-standings-maple-leafs-oilers-flames-canadiens-senators-canucks-jets/

If we don't get a top 3 pick we'll be in the late 8 - 10 range each time.

http://nhllotterysimulator.com/#/2016

if you want to get frustrated :p

Edited by Huckleberry

If it's a known established player I think it would go over well with the fans. Especially if they pick up another first at some point.

But also: don't make decisions based on what the fans think. We're mostly stupid.

Yes what did Marv used to say? Once you let the collective fan voice begin to influence your decisions, you'll soon find yourself sitting with them.

at what draft position would you consider trading the 2016 1st for an established player under the age of 24? This was discussed on WGR this morning.

Personally I would not do it this, because of where the draft is located.

Are you saying the team would make a significant long-term personnel decision based on a desire to play to the home crowd?

What about Chychrun, Tkachuk, or Nylander? 

Chychrun could be like Bogo, a physical specimen who might not get it enough to become a first pair guy.

Nylander I see like Boedker, a complimentary top six skill winger, but not a guy you lean on.

Tkachuk is my favourite out of the three — not because I think he's elite, but because his game would be such a great complement to Jack's.

Each is potentially a good to very good player in 3-5 years. But I trade the chance to draft one for a good to very good 22- to 26-year-old player now in a heartbeat, if that player has the skillset we are missing (wingman for Jack, smooth first-pair left D).

Chychrun could be like Bogo, a physical specimen who might not get it enough to become a first pair guy.

Nylander I see like Boedker, a complimentary top six skill winger, but not a guy you lean on.

Tkachuk is my favourite out of the three — not because I think he's elite, but because his game would be such a great complement to Jack's.

Each is potentially a good to very good player in 3-5 years. But I trade the chance to draft one for a good to very good 22- to 26-year-old player now in a heartbeat, if that player has the skillset we are missing (wingman for Jack, smooth first-pair left D).

Good point. W/ the amount of picks + a prospect or current Sabre, Murray may be able to get Fowler. Would be very happy if Buffalo could land Ekman-Larsson, but Arizona has already said he is not on the table. 

It's not a trade you can make prior to there and then on the draft floor. If Sergachev is there at 8, I draft him no questions asked.

Haven't seen much of Sergachev so I reserve the right to change my mind.

But unless he is Risto, I trade the pick for Fowler.

I'd rather have the real thing than a I guy who might one day become him.

It's not a trade you can make prior to there and then on the draft floor. If Sergachev is there at 8, I draft him no questions asked.

I ended up watching the Windsor/Kingston game on Sunday because of your review of Sergachev. The guy looked very average to me. He even got blown up by a little winger. So assuming that was one of his worst games. What is it that makes you so high on him? I'm just really starting to dislike the d-men in this draft.

And I heard a GM named Tim....something thinks like that. 

I like to call it Murray's Law. Anything that can go right, will go right.

Edited by GoPre

I ended up watching the Windsor/Kingston game on Sunday because of your review of Sergachev. The guy looked very average to me. He even got blown up by a little winger. So assuming that was one of his worst games. What is it that makes you so high on him? I'm just really starting to dislike the d-men in this draft.

He's 17, playing his first year in NA, and outplaying IMPO the other defenders at the top of this draft. He has good passes and skating.  I plan on trying to watch a few more of his games because maybe I have just seen a couple where he plays his best.  I wish Chychrun had improved instead of just kinda being mediocre all season.

Yes, but that is also one of the three million reasons I am not a NHL GM ;)

Haha - nice.

They can make the announcement on the floor if they want to and get all the cheers.

Was thinking the same thing. I'd be WAY more pumped to hear that GM TM moved the (7th, 9th, etc. overall) pick as part of a deal for an NHL-ready prospect than I would be for the pick itself.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'll take the player who is going to better in 3 to 5 years when they are ready to challenge for the cup. This is about putting together a team that has the best chance at winning the cup not about merely being a play-off contender. 

I'll take the player who is going to better in 3 to 5 years when they are ready to challenge for the cup. This is about putting together a team that has the best chance at winning the cup not about merely being a play-off contender.

3-5 years? From now? Nonsense. We should be contending in two years.

That's pretty optimistic thinking as they can barely beat a bunch of AHL players at the moment.

I hope you are right but I think its more likely that next year they contend the for 8th spot, the year following they make the playoffs. Maybe get to the 2nd round?

3rd year - now we are contending. Year 5 we are winning.

Exactly. Again, bird in the hand.

And any player GMTM would trade the pick for, you would think would be young enough to contribute handsomely over that entire time frame and then some. Acquiring the current player, depending on his age, doesn't cost us anything in 5 years. It would cost us something in around 10. And we can't be worrying about year 10 right now when we have to worry about the next few.

Edited by Thorny

They barely beat an AHL team on Monday night. I can't see how you can predict they will be any better than a contender for a play-off spot.

20+ point improvement from last year, with 2 rookies being our leading scorers, Ennis missing time, an AHL defense, and our goalie missing 1/2 the year. I think we can contend for a division spot

20+ point improvement from last year, with 2 rookies being our leading scorers, Ennis missing time, an AHL defense, and our goalie missing 1/2 the year. I think we can contend for a division spot

I still think we are 3-4 new players away. GMTM has certainly shown the propensity to add difference makers, hopefully he can pick up some D and done wingers. I fully expect 2 of our wing prospects to make the jump next season. Signing a vet sniper and a #2 D should be his priority.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.