GMTM--"I think too much about McDavid. I wish I could help myself"

matter2003

To calm the masses:

T. Murray on McDavid & Eichel: It's very close between these two guys.

@JeremyWGR:

Murray: “You don’t get the same interview requests that you do about Eichel. it’s very close. They’re both probably franchise players."

I found the audio of the entire Murray interview:

http://www.tsn.ca/radio/ottawa-1200/murray-it-s-very-close-between-mcdavid-eichel-1.244297

Very interesting in that he kept repeating that people over-hype the depth of this draft, saying it's not the 2003 draft, and he doesn't believe it will go down as one of the best drafts in history. With all of our 2nd's and our late 1st, coupled with his comments there, it's sounding more and more like he will trade up or use those picks to trade for players.

Very interesting in that he kept repeating that people over-hype the depth of this draft, saying it's not the 2003 draft, and he doesn't believe it will go down as one of the best drafts in history. With all of our 2nd's and our late 1st, coupled with his comments there, it's sounding more and more like he will trade up or use those picks to trade for players.

He is mind pucking the press.

I wonder if GMTM is thinking, after gaining a point on Arizona, what he'll do without either McDavid or Eichel?

Tank Ver 2.0 for 2015-16?   Who will be available for draft in 2016?  

No point in trying to rebuild if the right chips aren't in play.     I think most fans would be fine with another substandard year if it meant the beginnings of success in 2016-17.  

I wonder if GMTM is thinking, after gaining a point on Arizona, what he'll do without either McDavid or Eichel?

No point in trying to rebuild if the right chips aren't in play.     I think most fans would be fine with another substandard year if it meant the beginnings of success in 2016-17.

I think you're wrong. Two years of bad teams have gotten the Sabres Reinhart and ??. Next year will be about building around the young anchors of the team, which are Reinhart, Kane and this year's top pick. The fans are looking for progress next year, and you would have quite the revolt if the plan was tanking in 2016.

1: Looking at trade down from Hannifin to #4-5 and picking up a player in the process, I'd guess.

2: Austin something-or-other is supposed to be good.

3: I don't think anyone is ready to tank another year. At best, something like the Toronto/Arizona tank where they try real hard and sell off stuff at the deadline to nosedive. That being said, I don't think many fans that are looking at the long game would support selling assets this summer to get better for next season.

To expand on #3: ROR. If it were 3 years from now and Sabres were contenders, I'd consider making a push for him. As it is (unless I'm mixed up), he's on a contract until next year then will be UFA. I have little confidence that he'll stay for anything less than top-dollar regardless of whether his play warrants it. I'm not sure he'd sign even if the team did offer top-dollar to see if he might get better offers in FA. He's a gamble.

I think you're wrong. Two years of bad teams have gotten the Sabres Reinhart and ??. Next year will be about building around the young anchors of the team, which are Reinhart, Kane and this year's top pick. The fans are looking for progress next year, and you would have quite the revolt if the plan was tanking in 2016.

Which teams will be worse than BUF?   ARI with McEichel will be better.   EDM is on the rise.   TOR maybe?  CAR?

2016 is the Auston Matthews draft.   He's putting up better numbers than Eichel did at his age with the US NTDP , and he's slightly bigger.    However, the top 4 picks will be determined by lottery, so there's less incentive to tank on purpose.   

BUF is at rock bottom.   Their roster has been gutted of the old core and pending UFAs, there's no where to go but up.  They'll be better next year, however that doesn't mean they get out of the basement.    What if Reinhart spends or starts half the season in Roch?   Kane get's hurt again?    Who's the goalie?   Lindback?   Hackett?  

Without McEichel BUF will be very bad again, and IMO finish in the bottom 2 or 3.   Even with McEichel I still think they're a bottom 5 team (goaltending, young D, new headcoach?, etc..)  

It will be pretty hard for Buffalo to do a deadline style tank next year.

They'll have no stars or pending UFAs to trade.

Seriously, who's getting dumped? Ennis?

I didn't look at the contract status, so I'm sure you're right. No, wait: Chad Johnson!

I expect that you couldn't be more wrong about that statement. 2-1/2 years is WAAAAY too long, but is what we were thrust into when DR decided there would be "suffering." Trying for 3.5 would be catastrophically bad.

We get what we get (hopefully McEichel, but if not, it is what it is) and then start building towards a winner. If their ~3% chance of landing Austin gets him, great; you thought this board was difficult this season, if they end up with a 13.5% chance of getting the prize next year this place will be apoplectic.

It will be pretty hard for Buffalo to do a deadline style tank next year.

They'll have no stars or pending UFAs to trade.

Seriously, who's getting dumped? Ennis?

Agreed. They might have a D-man or 3rd/4th liner brought in on a 1 year deal, but this team isn't getting set up to purge at the end of next year like it did the last few.

Which teams will be worse than BUF?   ARI with McEichel will be better.   EDM is on the rise.   TOR maybe?  CAR?

2016 is the Auston Matthews draft.   He's putting up better numbers than Eichel did at his age with the US NTDP , and he's slightly bigger.    However, the top 4 picks will be determined by lottery, so there's less incentive to tank on purpose.   

BUF is at rock bottom.   Their roster has been gutted of the old core and pending UFAs, there's no where to go but up.  They'll be better next year, however that doesn't mean they get out of the basement.    What if Reinhart spends or starts half the season in Roch?   Kane get's hurt again?    Who's the goalie?   Lindback?   Hackett?  

Without McEichel BUF will be very bad again, and IMO finish in the bottom 2 or 3.   Even with McEichel I still think they're a bottom 5 team (goaltending, young D, new headcoach?, etc..)  

Thanks for the lesson there. I had no idea who Auston Matthews was. :wallbash:

The roster will be significantly better as we will see the results of the Winnipeg trade on our end, the addition of our top pick from last year in Reinhart, an additional one or two free agent additions to improve the team post draft, keeping players like Pysyk and Larsson up with the big club, the removal of placeholder vets like Meszaros and Benoit, another year maturation from Risto, Zad, Girgensons.

Note I intentionally did this all without considering the 2015 draft results, since you seem convinced that we wont get McDavid/Eichel, even though it is highly probable that the remaining games will result in a 30th place finish.

Based on GMTM's actions of stocking young prospects and making the 'win for 2016' trade for Kane and Bogo, I'd say the goal is to be competitive in 2016.

I think most fans would be fine with another substandard year if it meant the beginnings of success in 2016-17.

That last line is about as reasonable as when the girl gets on the train to the North Pole in the Frosty the Snowman cartoon, and she casually says, "I'm sure my mother won't mind, as long as I'm home for supper."

:blink:

I can't see any tanking - trades made for the future but I can see this team in the bottom 5-7 if they draft 3rd or lower. Will being able to watch Reinhart and Hanifin next season be enough to appease the customer base 1 more year?

No most of us bought into the tank and rebuild, but none of us have another year of tank left in us.

Its time to move upward

I can't see any tanking - trades made for the future but I can see this team in the bottom 5-7 if they draft 3rd or lower. Will being able to watch Reinhart and Hanifin next season be enough to appease the customer base 1 more year?

Man, you are either very pessimistic or superstitious  :lol:

Ummmm... No.  I have tolerated the tank due to TWO generational players lying in wait for the Sabres.  If we get neither of them, all bets are off.  Patience used up.  No more looking the other way as we go down the toilet.  Next year is about winning... and every year thereafter.  To think a franchise should be able to sell out a building for a third year while making no progress other than to take another shot at a promising draft pick is lunacy.  (And that would be after we failed to do it in the second year!)

The Tank ends April 11th regardless of the results of April 18th.  We are done.  I won't tolerate another year of this garbage and considering the contributions from Larsson, Risto and even the ones Grigorenko is starting to have, I think this team will be better next year with or without McEichel.

I expect that you couldn't be more wrong about that statement. 2-1/2 years is WAAAAY too long, but is what we were thrust into when DR decided there would be "suffering." Trying for 3.5 would be catastrophically bad.

Are you blaming Darcy for this? Terry has a flat management structure he loves and he put two Pittsburgh tankers in his management team. I won't make this about meddling; but this was Terry's decision to make, no? Or at least to approve? Darcy himself made this claim on WGR Radio toward the end of the 2012-13 season. "The extent of the rebuild will be up to the owner." I guess I don't understand why Darcy isn't here to finish the job, if it was his idea. What was he doing wrong in the fall of 2013?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.