GMTM--"I think too much about McDavid. I wish I could help myself"

matter2003

There really has been way too much talk about McDavid from Buffalo's perspective.  I remember Sidney Crosby making fun of Buffalo reporters, reminding them that we don't have McDavid yet.  The absolute best case scenario is that we have a 20% chance of McDavid.  It's almost going to be strange to see him in another team's sweater next year, so long have people around here been talking about him.

But Murray's quote doesn't get me all riled up.  He's obviously picking Eichel #2 if necessary, and Eichel is a great prospect too.  Not like he's going to stop trying because the Buffalo GM liked McDavid more.  Every team likes McDavid more.

I agree.

We also don't know if the reporter asked Murray about Eichel. What if Murray was like, "Jack is such a fantastic player, I would love to see him in a Sabres Jersey."  

Actually... here's what he meant. He is admitting that he has overrated McDavid. He thinks too much (of) him. He has seen so much of McDavid that he now understands the fatal flaws in his game, and he wishes he, himself, could help — to coach him, mentor him, even train with him if he weren't a middle-aged, pot-bellied, Filet o Fish inhaler.

It's a ruse. He wants Eichel — he sculpts mashed potatoes into the face of Eichel — and with some senstational, well-placed comments he's raising the price of prying the first pick out of his starchy little fingers. What better way to get the word out to his fellow hockey GMs than in the New York Fricken Times?

this is fun to consider. but unlikely to be true.

oh, and as for that bit? remember, there is only one local sports figure whose fingers should be thusly described. and that's gregory jimmy dean roman:

460874424-1024x682.jpg

if he weren't a middle-aged, pot-bellied, Filet o Fish inhaler.

i resemble that remark.

I would have liked to have seen the entire interview. He could have just been messing with the guy a little and wasn't being totally serious. Just the quote itself seems kind of dorky but I can't see him being that big of a dork.

wait, really? The dude is a rink rat hockey nerd.

Murray2.jpg

That was my first impression. The "article" didn't sound anything like a real interview, but rather a couple of phrases plucked out of a conversation. Could very easily have been a joke by TM.

That's what every article is that isn't a transcribed interview or Q&A.

Or maybe he saw Eichel play this weekend and thought OMG Grigorenko II, I'll need to keep Nolan around to get this guy to work hard

Puhlease let it be C.McDavid!!!!

Clearly you have never once watched Jack Eichel play even a shift of hockey... f##king ever.

I just think our GM really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not say any words that are not absolutely needing to be said.

And what fun is that!!!

We need out spoken loud mouthed sports figures here. Hell, it gives us a break from complaining about the weather.

And what fun is that!!!

We need out spoken loud mouthed sports figures here. Hell, it gives us a break from complaining about the weather.

I have stopped complaining about the weather, since whenever I do we get more snow.

We had another foot on Saturday / Sunday and some more expected tonight.

I just think our GM really needs to learn to keep his mouth shut and not say any words that are not absolutely needing to be said.

He would be hated by everybody if this were the case... Including our own fan base. People want to hear these guys talk. He does it without letting anything valuable out. I'll take it. It's fun. Let's people do their job.

He would be hated by everybody if this were the case... Including our own fan base. People want to hear these guys talk. He does it without letting anything valuable out. I'll take it. It's fun. Let's people do their job.

I'm back to thinking that GM TM is too savvy just to be blabbing without a purpose, or without some design on (or at least awareness of) a long game. 

The quotes about McDavid come off as a little odd, but . . . so be it.

He is the only guy who stripped his roster down to nothing to finish last two years in a row. Everyone wants McDavid but no other GM would say that publicly.

And thank god for that, I'd rather finish dead last and draft high than finish 9-11 and draft middle of the pack.

No free agents want to come here to play as things stand, and that's not going to change until the team lands a bonafide star player.

And seeing as we've had pretty much ###### all to trade with? Well, I guess that leaves drafting.

Edited by Kristian

Well there you go!!

That sure as hell beats my offer of shoveling snow and in return I get the Clear Russian (Polish Potato if I'm allowed to be a choosey beggar) Nectar and you have to pull the TV out of the closet, with a working remote.

Liger, if NS says no I can be there next weekend.

I have stopped complaining about the weather, since whenever I do we get more snow.

We had another foot on Saturday / Sunday and some more expected tonight.

You should come visit, it's 70 here and I have some good beer and bourbon.

I'm back to thinking that GM TM is too savvy just to be blabbing without a purpose, or without some design on (or at least awareness of) a long game. 

The quotes about McDavid come off as a little odd, but . . . so be it.

That's right. Come on, boy. Come on. No, don't be shy. That's it, that's it...

Clearly you have never once watched Jack Eichel play even a shift of hockey... f##king ever.

Whoaaa, settle down big boy, actually I saw both his games this weekend but that's besides the point.

My attempt at sarcastic humor obviously hit one of your buttons. I'll use an emoticon next time, just so I don't cause such a stir. My apologies.

There really has been way too much talk about McDavid from Buffalo's perspective.  I remember Sidney Crosby making fun of Buffalo reporters, reminding them that we don't have McDavid yet.  The absolute best case scenario is that we have a 20% chance of McDavid.  It's almost going to be strange to see him in another team's sweater next year, so long have people around here been talking about him

Personally, I have been talking about Eichel more, even calling it a race for Eichel with a bonus shot at McDavid.  I am absolutely assuming that McDavid will not be a Sabres; it's beyond wishful thinking (counting on beating at best a 1 in 5 chance) to do otherwise.  If he comes here, that's great, but it won't be weird to see him in another uniform.  If we hold on to 30th and end up with Eichel, I'm expecting a bunch of idiots to laugh about how our tank didn't work, to which I will reply, "it worked exactly as expected."

Edited by carpandean

Whoaaa, settle down big boy, actually I saw both his games this weekend but that's besides the point.

My attempt at sarcastic humor obviously hit one of your buttons. I'll use an emoticon next time, just so I don't cause such a stir. My apologies.

I heard the sarcasm in your voice...

That's what makes it all so funny!!

Edited by Woods-Racer

That's right. Come on, boy. Come on. No, don't be shy. That's it, that's it...

Emoticons have never been more needed than during the tank.

Personally, I have been talking about Eichel more, even calling it a race for Eichel with a bonus shot at McDavid.  I am absolutely assuming that McDavid will not be a Sabres; it's beyond wishful thinking (counting on beating at best a 1 in 5 chance) to do otherwise.  If he comes here, that's great, but it won't be weird to see him in another uniform.  If we hold on to 30th and end up with Eichel, I'm expecting a bunch of idiots to laugh about how our tank didn't work, to which I will reply, "it worked exactly as expected."

I think a lot of knowledgeable fans have been talking about the two of them, but the national media will nonetheless laugh at us if we finish last and "only" get Eichel.  I have to assume that despite his infatuation with McDavid, Murray is also operating under the assumption that Eichel will be ours, not McDavid.  Unless the unthinkable happens and we blow this 6 point "lead."

For my part, I will be thrilled if we get McDavid, but even so, a little sad that we didn't get Eichel--because I've been so focused on him, and have mostly avoided getting sucked into the McDavid hype.  Too bad my dream of the Islanders winning the lottery appears out of reach.

I think it should get him a promotion.

Fail to see why anyone would think he is a fool for be excited about player who is as talented and unique as McDavid.

Only a fool thinks we shouldn't be excited about the chance at landing this player

Master Sun Tzu says, "Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like thunderbolt!"  -The Art of War

If you are weak, pretend you are strong.  If you are strong, pretend to be crippled.  If you are man, pretend to be woman.  If you are American man, pretend to be Russian woman.  That, is the Art of War... or so I am told by persons that know such things.

Ouch!  My arm holes!

To calm the masses:

T. Murray on McDavid & Eichel: It's very close between these two guys.

@JeremyWGR:

Murray: “You don’t get the same interview requests that you do about Eichel. it’s very close. They’re both probably franchise players."

Edited by Tank

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.