GMTM--"I think too much about McDavid. I wish I could help myself"

matter2003

Are you blaming Darcy for this? Terry has a flat management structure he loves and he put two Pittsburgh tankers in his management team. I won't make this about meddling; but this was Terry's decision to make, no? Or at least to approve? Darcy himself made this claim on WGR Radio toward the end of the 2012-13 season. "The extent of the rebuild will be up to the owner." I guess I don't understand why Darcy isn't here to finish the job, if it was his idea. What was he doing wrong in the fall of 2013?

Darcy isn't here to rebuild because he couldn't be trusted to do it.  I for one couldn't stomach another year with him making player decisions for the long term... not after the house of cards came down when Lucic ran over Miller and the world found out what kind of a spineless team he had created.  The only thing I agreed with Darcy on was the need to blow the thing up (and accept the "suffering" that goes with it)... as long as he wasn't the one putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Darcy isn't here to rebuild because he couldn't be trusted to do it.  I for one couldn't stomach another year with him making player decisions for the long term... not after the house of cards came down when Lucic ran over Miller and the world found out what kind of a spineless team he had created.  The only thing I agreed with Darcy on was the need to blow the thing up (and accept the "suffering" that goes with it)... as long as he wasn't the one putting Humpty Dumpty back together again.

IMPO teams are a reflection of their GM's.  From what I have heard about Regier he was was a spineless yes man. He drafted and signed for the same because those types appealed to him.  Every player Murray seems to acquire is either a leader or has an attitude.  Time will tell I guess.  

Are you blaming Darcy for this? Terry has a flat management structure he loves and he put two Pittsburgh tankers in his management team. I won't make this about meddling; but this was Terry's decision to make, no? Or at least to approve? Darcy himself made this claim on WGR Radio toward the end of the 2012-13 season. "The extent of the rebuild will be up to the owner." I guess I don't understand why Darcy isn't here to finish the job, if it was his idea. What was he doing wrong in the fall of 2013?

Are you absolving him?

But why did he last into the 13-14 season then?

Are you absolving him?

Of tanking, going to the very bottom and then some, for two years? Yes, I don't think Darcy would be a part of that. If it became apparent to him in the fall of 2013 that's what was being asked of him, I can see him coming to an agreement with Terry to be let go.

Of tanking, going to the very bottom and then some, for two years? Yes, I don't think Darcy would be a part of that. If it became apparent to him in the fall of 2013 that's what was being asked of him, I can see him coming to an agreement with Terry to be let go.

And there you have the answer to your own question. Darcy Regier lacked the conviction to tank the team and intended on retooling the team exactly how he tried in 2007/8 except this time he would trade his vets for pieces.  To forge a new path the Sabres needed a new leader.  

He was let go after it was apparent what he'd put together was unwatchable. You're scenario only works if he'd've left that summer (or earlier).

Was Rolston not meant to be just a caretaker coach after Lindy? I mean we couldn't wait. Lindy had to be fired immediately because blood needed to be shed.

I'm not sure how much of this is sarcasm, but I'm not saying hiring Rolston on an interim basis got him fired. It was the decision to hire him permanently without even looking elsewhere that did him in.

No most of us bought into the tank and rebuild, but none of us have another year of tank left in us.

Its time to move upward

I expect that you couldn't be more wrong about that statement. 2-1/2 years is WAAAAY too long, but is what we were thrust into when DR decided there would be "suffering." Trying for 3.5 would be catastrophically bad.

We get what we get (hopefully McEichel, but if not, it is what it is) and then start building towards a winner. If their ~3% chance of landing Austin gets him, great; you thought this board was difficult this season, if they end up with a 13.5% chance of getting the prize next year this place will be apoplectic.

Agreed. They might have a D-man or 3rd/4th liner brought in on a 1 year deal, but this team isn't getting set up to purge at the end of next year like it did the last few.

That last line is about as reasonable as when the girl gets on the train to the North Pole in the Frosty the Snowman cartoon, and she casually says, "I'm sure my mother won't mind, as long as I'm home for supper."

:blink:

Ummmm... No.  I have tolerated the tank due to TWO generational players lying in wait for the Sabres.  If we get neither of them, all bets are off.  Patience used up.  No more looking the other way as we go down the toilet.  Next year is about winning... and every year thereafter.  To think a franchise should be able to sell out a building for a third year while making no progress other than to take another shot at a promising draft pick is lunacy.  (And that would be after we failed to do it in the second year!)

No most of us bought into the tank and rebuild, but none of us have another year of tank left in us.

Its time to move upward

No more gas left in the Tank, apparently?   :)

Myself, I've kind of gotten used to it -  IF I thought we would really have a serious chance at a run at the Cup starting in 2017-2018 by tanking in 15-16,   I would endure it another year

As opposed to ending up with another slightly above-average team that's lucky to squeak into the playoffs

IF that's the result of the Tank failing this season, that is.  

He made it necessary for the tank to occur by not finding 2 centers.... So glad his incompetency is gone, that being said, Murray needs to show his judge of talent is better. Jury is positive, but still out.

He made it necessary for the tank to occur by not finding 2 centers.... So glad his incompetency is gone, that being said, Murray needs to show his judge of talent is better. Jury is positive, but still out.

Darcy knew defensemen

but

couldn't find a pair of competent centers to save his job

He didn't know D men in the late spring of 2006.

Dennis Perrson ....

We could have had Nick Foligno..

Ok, I give in.

Darcy was not very good.

There I said.

At least it was you NS that shot my "Darcy isn't all bad" balloon. Thank you for doing it in the nicest possible way.  

Just cause I had a little funnin with you about early spring snow in N.S. didn't mean you had to give us a taste of that crummy weather.  

Edited by Woods-Racer

I can't see any tanking - trades made for the future but I can see this team in the bottom 5-7 if they draft 3rd or lower. Will being able to watch Reinhart and Hanifin next season be enough to appease the customer base 1 more year?

No way Hanifin makes the jump to the NHL, he's heading back to school fo sho.    I like him though, he's a stud.    With Hot Mez filling the net, plus Risto, Zadorov, and Hanifin in 2016 we won't need our forwards to contribute much of anything... maybe that's the plan?

I digress, no way in hell BUF misses out on McEichel.    One of five things will happen, guaranteed.

1 - Sabres finish 30th win the lottery, all our dreams come true.

2 - Sabres finish 30th lose the lottery, generational consolation prize.

3 - Sabres finish 29th win the lottery, GMTM faints on stage as McDavid pulls on a Sabres sweater.

4 - Sabres finish 29th and 30th place ARI wins the lottery, see #2.

5 - Sabres finish 29th, neither BUF nor ARI win the lottery and BUF picks 3rd.

That said, if the hockey Gods punish us for our sins and we end up with #5, I don't there's any price GMTM wouldn't pay to move up from #3 to #2.    I don't see him being able to move from #3 to #1, but a move from #3 to #2 would  be possible and here's why....

ARI will be the team picking #2 (do the math, duh).   ARI needs help all over the place, while they already have OEL, they may jump at a deal that involves both BUF 1st rounders in 2015 and BUF 2016 first rounder.   The 2016 1st rounder is key here as next year is the Auston Matthews draft.   Auston Matthews is from... you guessed it, Scottsdale, AZ, and he's putting up better numbers than Eichel did at his age in the same program.   He's slightly bigger than Eichel as well.   Imagine the fanfare in ARI with Austom Matthews leading that team for the next decade or so... wow.   Of course, the deal would also need to include somebody like Girgensons and Ennis, which I'd be OK with...

So it's not all gloom and doom if BUF ends up picking 3rd.   If GMTM makes Eichel the target, I have no doubt he can pull it off considering his recent trade history and the pieces at his disposal.

No way Hanifin makes the jump to the NHL, he's heading back to school fo sho.    I like him though, he's a stud.    With Hot Mez filling the net, plus Risto, Zadorov, and Hanifin in 2016 we won't need our forwards to contribute much of anything... maybe that's the plan?

I digress, no way in hell BUF misses out on McEichel.    One of five things will happen, guaranteed.

1 - Sabres finish 30th win the lottery, all our dreams come true.

2 - Sabres finish 30th lose the lottery, generational consolation prize.

3 - Sabres finish 29th win the lottery, GMTM faints on stage as McDavid pulls on a Sabres sweater.

4 - Sabres finish 29th and 30th place ARI wins the lottery, see #2.

5 - Sabres finish 29th, neither BUF nor ARI win the lottery and BUF picks 3rd.

That said, if the hockey Gods punish us for our sins and we end up with #5, I don't there's any price GMTM wouldn't pay to move up from #3 to #2.    I don't see him being able to move from #3 to #1, but a move from #3 to #2 would  be possible and here's why....

ARI will be the team picking #2 (do the math, duh).   ARI needs help all over the ###### place, while they already have OEL, they may jump at a deal that involves both BUF 1st rounders in 2015 and BUF 2016 first rounder.   The 2016 1st rounder is key here as next year is the Auston Matthews draft.   Auston Matthews is from... you guessed it, Scottsdale, AZ, and he's putting up better numbers than Eichel did at his age in the same program.   He's slightly bigger than Eichel as well.   Imagine the fanfare in ARI with Austom Matthews leading that team for the next decade or so... wow.   Of course, the deal would also need to include somebody like Girgensons and Ennis, which I'd be OK with...

So it's not all gloom and doom if BUF ends up picking 3rd.   If GMTM makes Eichel the target, I have no doubt he can pull it off considering his recent trade history and the pieces at his disposal.

If next year becomes "Tank for Auston Mathews," my brain will explode.  The tank conversation is just so dead to me. 

I'll also bet you a beverage that Murray fails to put together a deal for McEichel if we finish 3rd.  Can't see anyone trading those two prospects.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.