2015 / 2016 Line Up

2slowtogofast

Sicknfla, have you watched Reinhart much lately?

I am not basing my opinion on a couple preseason games. I am simply saying i think it has been the plan all summer to start him in Rochester. I may be totally wrong but with the current roster and a few of the moves Murray has made it wouldn't surprise me. I think Reinhart is going to be great. That isn't my concern.

I am not basing my opinion on a couple preseason games. I am simply saying i think it has been the plan all summer to start him in Rochester. I may be totally wrong but with the current roster and a few of the moves Murray has made it wouldn't surprise me. I think Reinhart is going to be great. That isn't my concern.

so it's your hunch. I can't imagine that has been the plan. 

Who does he replace? The only two options that i can see coming out of the lineup are Larrson and Legwand. Legwand is your 4c and will kill penalties. We don't want Reinhart as the 4c. So that leaves Larrson. DB has been pretty outspoken about how he feels about Larrson. So does Reinhart go to Rochester or to the press box until someone gets hurt?

Reinhart in the starting lineup is not as much a slam dunk as some think.

Edited by sicknfla

Who does he replace? The only two options that i can see coming out of the lineup are Larrson and Legwand. Legwand is your 4c and will kill penalties. We don't want Reinhart as the 4c. So that leaves Larrson. DB has been pretty outspoken about how he feels about Larrson. So does Reinhart go to Rochester or to the press box until someone gets hurt?

Agreed.   Rochester would be best for his development at this stage in his career.   Let him bake until he can take that 2nd line spot from Gionta.  

2nd or 3rd line RW, perhaps, with Gionta taking the other spot? From the line-up above, it appears the Reinhart is skating on Larsssssson's RW today.

Who was the other winger??

Today's practice lines. Bylsma says to expect something very similar against the Leafs.

Evander Kane – 90 Ryan O’Reilly – 63 Tyler Ennis

26 Matt Moulson – 41 Jack Eichel – 12 Brian Gionta

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 17 David Legwand – 82 Marcus Foligno

71 Evan Rodrigues – 22 Johan Larsson – 23 Sam Reinhart

37 Matt Ellis – 28 Zemgus Girgensons/59 Tim Schaller – 20 Jason Akeson

As much as I have been waving the flag for Reinhart, I find it interesting he has yet to skate with anyone slated for the top six.

My instinct would be to say it means he is still on the bubble.

You get say the something similar about Larsson, but Bylsma sure talks about him like he is a player he intends to use.

http://video.sabres.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=1573

I'm just working off this post. I'm not sure if that was a temporary thing for a day or if Bylsma uses ?-Larssssssson-Reinhart going forward. Looking at those names, Girgensons is missing, but I'd think you shift Foligno over to 4LW, maybe Larsson over to 3LW, Girgensons as 3C, Reinhart as 3RW, and Legwand to 4C. I think 4RW is still open with those moves, but whatever.

To clarify, keep the top-6, then:

Larsson - Girgensons - Reinhart

Foligno - Legwand - ? (or if Foligno is skating RW, Deslauriers - Legwand - Foligno).

Out of those lines, Ellis, Shaller, Akeson, and Rodrigues are out, which doesn't seem unlikely. Or maybe one stays to play 4RW and Foligno and Deslauries duke it out at 4LW. It's a nice problem to have.

Edited by MattPie

I'm just working off this post. I'm not sure if that was a temporary thing for a day or if Bylsma uses ?-Larssssssson-Reinhart going forward. Looking at those names, Girgensons is missing, but I'd think you shift Foligno over to 4LW, maybe Larsson over to 3LW, Girgensons as 3C, Reinhart as 3RW, and Legwand to 4C. I think 4RW is still open with those moves, but whatever.

To clarify, keep the top-6, then:

Larsson - Girgensons - Reinhart

Foligno - Legwand - ? (or if Foligno is skating RW, Deslauriers - Legwand - Foligno).

Out of those lines, Ellis, Shaller, Akeson, and Rodrigues are out, which doesn't seem unlikely. Or maybe one stays to play 4RW and Foligno and Deslauries duke it out at 4LW. It's a nice problem to have.

If I had to guess, I can't see Gionta starting at 2nd line RW. Girgensons will be there. So that leaves a hole at 3C. Gionta will play 3rd line RW. Reinhart can naturally fit into that 3C spot.

McGinn and Larsson will probably compete for 3rd line LW. My guess is McGinn gets the start as he adds some size to that third line. Larsson is the 13th forward and the first man in when needed.

That's what I'm thinking anyways.

If I had to guess, I can't see Gionta starting at 2nd line RW. Girgensons will be there. So that leaves a hole at 3C. Gionta will play 3rd line RW. Reinhart can naturally fit into that 3C spot.

McGinn and Larsson will probably compete for 3rd line LW. My guess is McGinn gets the start as he adds some size to that third line. Larsson is the 13th forward and the first man in when needed.

That's what I'm thinking anyways.

On 10/8, barring injury, that's where I'm at as well.

But, I'd expect by 4/9 Larsson will have cemented an active role on this squad. No idea who he supplants, but have a gut feel he'll pass someone.

Edited by Taro T

But, I'd expect by 4/9 Larsson will have cemented an active role on this squad. No idea who he supplants, but have a gut feel he'll pass someone.

It's a long season.  Someone will be injured (not hoping for it, but it's part of the game).

I think so too. Honestly long term I see Larsson as the 3rd line center or left wing.

O'Reilly and Kane 1-2 left wings, Jack and Sam 1-2 centers. Ennis will be a top 2 right wing, and a top 2 RW to be named later.

Girgensons and Larsson will be on the third line, and it will be a great 3rd line. That will be real depth. I think either can play any of the positions on that line, so there will be real versatility too. So including Larsson, I think we have 7 of our future top 9 here. We will probably be adding 2 RWs.

By 4/9, Larsson will most likely have a full-time gig playing on a 4th line getting a fair amount of minutes. Moving up to 3rd line as soon as next season.

Bylsma's track record in Pittsburgh was to play two offensive lines and two defensive lines. He's hinted he may do the same here.

Given the depth up-front I think you will see him trying to roll four lines in an up-tempo game, with everyone getting 10 minutes of even-strength ice time in a typical game.

Situationally, he will shorten his bench. I project:

Down a goal late: Kane, Ennis, Eichel, O'Reilly, Risto, Franson (Moulson, Gionta, Bogo)

Cut back Deslauriers/McGinn/Legwand/Foligno/Weber/Gorges

Up a goal late: O'Reilly, Girgensons, Larsson, Bogosian, Risto (Kane, Gionta, Gorges)

Cut back Moulson/Reinhart/Franson/Weber

Power play: Eichel, Moulson, O'Reilly, Franson Ennis (Kane, Reinhart, Gionta, Bogosian, Ristolainen)

Penalty kill: Kane/O'Reilly Larsson/Girgensons Risto/Gorges, Bogosian/Pysyk (Eichel/Gionta/Weber)

You may see Larsson and Girgensons playing on the third or fourth line, but getting top-six or top-nine ice time because of situational use.

I like Girgensons on Eichel's right side, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be used more in a Jordan Staal role.

O'Reilly will be the clear kingpin in ice time. On the blueline, I don't expect any single dominant minute-muncher the way Myers/Bogsian were under Nolan.

It will be interesting to see how the ice time of Eichel/Reinhart/Larsson/Pysyk/Risto grows or fades as the season moves on and Bylsma level of trust changes.

Edited by dudacek

Bylsma's track record in Pittsburgh was to play two offensive lines and two defensive lines. He's hinted he may do the same here.

Given the depth up-front I think you will see him trying to roll four lines in an up-tempo game, with everyone getting 10 minutes of even-strength ice time in a typical game.

Situationally, he will shorten his bench. I project:

Down a goal late: Kane, Ennis, Eichel, O'Reilly, Risto, Franson (Moulson, Gionta, Bogo)

Cut back Deslauriers/McGinn/Legwand/Foligno/Weber/Gorges

Up a goal late: O'Reilly, Girgensons, Larsson, Bogosian, Risto (Kane, Gionta, Gorges)

Cut back Moulson/Reinhart/Franson/Weber

Power play: Eichel, Moulson, O'Reilly, Franson Ennis (Kane, Reinhart, Gionta, Bogosian, Ristolainen)

Penalty kill: Kane/O'Reilly Larsson/Girgensons Risto/Gorges, Bogosian/Pysyk (Eichel/Gionta/Weber)

You may see Larsson and Girgensons playing on the third or fourth line, but getting top-six or top-nine ice time because of situational use.

I like Girgensons on Eichel's right side, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him be used more in a Jordan Staal role.

Based on the skillsets of this team (or at least perceptions of them) vs his Pens teams, I could definitely foresee him doing far more mixing & matching than he did in his 1st stint. Both in situational settings (pp, pk, eog, etc.) but also to exploit matchups during the regular flow of the game.

Wasn't my 1st choice for Sabres coach, but I could definitely see that he might be the right coach for this team.

Really looking forward to this season. Probably 9 years since I was there.

I have trouble finding room for McGinn on this roster.

Wait until you see him play and he shakes the rust off.  Since he's in a one year deal I don't want him playing in front of a long term player but Murray added this guy to the trade for a reason.  When healthy, he's a good player.

Wait until you see him play and he shakes the rust off.  Since he's in a one year deal I don't want him playing in front of a long term player but Murray added this guy to the trade for a reason.  When healthy, he's a good player.

A really good fit on Reinhart's left side, I believe. Adds some grit to that line with some decent finishing ability.

I think the lines in practice today are the 13 forwards that are going to make the team, possibly in the same combinations

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-O-Reilly-not-sure-if-he-ll-attend-his-heari/22019300

It's interesting to see how the captain has bulled his way into getting a close look in the top six the past few days.
I also wonder if Legwand is automatically in the lineup opening night over whoever is the odd man out on the current four-man third line.

As much as I love Samson, I will say that Larsson Girgensons McGinn is a helluva interesting traditional third line.
Edited by dudacek

I think the lines in practice today are the 13 forwards that are going to make the team, possibly in the same combinations

http://www.wgr550.com/Sabres-O-Reilly-not-sure-if-he-ll-attend-his-heari/22019300

It's interesting to see how the captain has bulled his way into getting a close look in the top six the past few days.
I also wonder if Legwand is automatically in the lineup opening night over whoever is the odd man out on the current four-man third line.

As much as I love Samson, I will say that Larsson Girgensons McGinn is a helluva interesting traditional third line.

Gionta looks 7 years younger. He's skating great, and has a system that fits his skill set. I wouldn't be surprised to see him have a 50 pt year. 

I remember a while back saying Gionta might have one of those last hurrah type of seasons that great players sometimes have when they are older. I could easiy see him, if he ends up on the 2nd line, putting up 50 to 60 points if he can stay healthy. The guy was an near-elite goal scoring talent is his prime so while he's certainly not elite anymore, the skill set is still there just used up a bit more.

Where does everybody come out on Legwand vs. Larsson as the 4th line center? First off, if Legwand vs. Larsson isn't even a thing, then please ignore this post. I prefer Larsson and it is largely based on his play at the tail endof last year. I love the youth movement on this team and I feel like Larsson can be a part of that. I know he'll probably be the first guy off the bench, but I feel like he deserves a chance for a bigger role.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.