GDT: Buffalo @ Bahston, 7:30 pm EST, NBCSN

WildCard

I have an entire thread I can't check now... but with that said, if Buffalo loses at least 1 of the games to Arizona in regulation, I think we will be okay. We were bound to get at least 1 more win this season and I would guess probably 1 more still.  That said, I think Edmonton and Arizona both get 2 more wins as well. 

No. Let's call it what it is. Are you afraid to own your beliefs? You want the team to lose on purpose. Don't fluff it up with your ######.

Yes I 100% want them to lose. As does 90% of the people on here. I just get tired of the few that for some reason think because THEY want the team to win no matter what and they could NEVER wish bad upon their team are somehow more true fans. It's like the "tank crowd" is unloyal or something.

Yes I sit there right now and openly root against my team. Why?? Because I know that loosing now gives me a better chance for what we all want later. You really think that if/when we end up picking 3rd or 4th on draft day you are truly going to give a ratsass what happened in Boston on March freaking 17th? Come on!!!

That Tank is an explanation to my "weird" post as you called it.

Any other time the Sabres play a somewhat inspired game against the dastardly Bruins and pull out a win we plan a parade, especially since Lucic - Miller.

Last night the exact opposite happened.

This season has turned us against each other.  It's pathetic.

I am a Sabres fan.  I am extremely ecstatic that they won, especially against my most hated team.  Draft position be damned.

Yes I 100% want them to lose. As does 90% of the people on here. I just get tired of the few that for some reason think because THEY want the team to win no matter what and they could NEVER wish bad upon their team are somehow more true fans. It's like the "tank crowd" is unloyal or something.

Yes I sit there right now and openly root against my team. Why?? Because I know that loosing now gives me a better chance for what we all want later. You really think that if/when we end up picking 3rd or 4th on draft day you are truly going to give a ratsass what happened in Boston on March freaking 17th? Come on!!!

I watch the games hoping that individuals do well. I want to see a competitive game. I expect the team to lose most of the time and I know that's good for the team's long term prospects. But at the same time, if they beat a bitter rival, I'm not going to let that ruin my night. The Sabres are still in last place and I'm confident that Murray will make some thinly veiled "adjustments" to the roster that will hamstring them a bit. "We need to play Hackett to retain his rights" and "Ennis needs a maintenance day" and "We decided to give Grigorenko some more time at the NHL level so we sent Larsson down" and stuff like that.

Also we've been all over Nolan for being a terrible coach; he could be just pushing the team a bit to show why they need to keep him on and not be tempted by Babcock, so make a statement game before continuing the downslide.

The team has pretty consistently sucked all season long; I don't get why people worry they're going to win out. Yes, the margin for error is smaller than it was yesterday, but I still think the Sabres will bring this home.

I watch the games hoping that individuals do well. I want to see a competitive game. I expect the team to lose most of the time and I know that's good for the team's long term prospects. But at the same time, if they beat a bitter rival, I'm not going to let that ruin my night. The Sabres are still in last place and I'm confident that Murray will make some thinly veiled "adjustments" to the roster that will hamstring them a bit. "We need to play Hackett to retain his rights" and "Ennis needs a maintenance day" and "We decided to give Grigorenko some more time at the NHL level so we sent Larsson down" and stuff like that.

Also we've been all over Nolan for being a terrible coach; he could be just pushing the team a bit to show why they need to keep him on and not be tempted by Babcock, so make a statement game before continuing the downslide.

The team has pretty consistently sucked all season long; I don't get why people worry they're going to win out. Yes, the margin for error is smaller than it was yesterday, but I still think the Sabres will bring this home.

Good post. It kills me to find myself rooting against them. It pisses me off to no end. I honestly can say McEichel or no McEichel I am just ready to turn the page. The road is still going to be bumpy either way but at least it should be a new road. Edited by sicknfla

I'm not worried about them winning out.  Far from it.  Arizona is playing less inspired hockey.  If we win those two head-to-head games in regulation, which is looking very possible, then all else equal (i.e., the other 10 games), Arizona ends below us.  With Nolan behind the bench, I'm really worried that we'll see Lindback vs. McKenna twice.

I'm not worried about them winning out.  Far from it.  Arizona is playing less inspired hockey.  If we win those two head-to-head games in regulation, which is looking very possible, then all else equal (i.e., the other 10 games), Arizona ends below us.  With Nolan behind the bench, I'm really worried that we'll see Lindback vs. McKenna twice.

I think a lot of what is going on is an elaborate smoke screen of plausible deniability regarding The Tank. I think that both Nolan and GMTM are on board and in sync. I also think that Nolan still feels the need to show his true colors from time to time, last night being an example. I expect the Sabres to earn two more points this year, no more (probably against Arizona).

Every GDT thread these days degrades into the same drivel where some folks feel the need to tell everyone else which team they need to root for and why.  In an abstract sense, every thread has turned into a politics thread.

It's marginally better than every GDT being about Ruff and Regier.

Is it really any different than you telling us every single game that you want them to lose, but try to sugarcoat it by telling us how much it kills you to feel that way?

Like I said, it must be miserable to watch a game hoping they play poorly enough to win, all while being even more miserable if they happen to win. I just couldn't watch games hoping to not be entertained and then bitch about it afterwards. I've really got much better things to do than spend 3 hours of my day hoping to be bored to death.

By the way, it's 'losing' not 'loosing'. 

or cat people and dog people..  still don't get the cat people...  :flirt:

What's not to get?  :P

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Is it possible we can make any kind of judgment about Murray's true intentions? If he sticks to his guns about not interfering with coaching (for example, telling Nolan to get Hackett his games to keep his rights), can we infer from that (lack of) action that he legitimately didn't care about guaranteeing finishing dead last? Given his background is in amateur scouting, I wouldn't be totally shocked if he had the attitude of "Yes I'd love to get McEichel, but if I don't, I'm still going to be able to build a winner." 

This does not seem to jibe with his stated hope of being in the lottery again next season.

Looks like Sabres are willing to play a defensive, "rope a dope" game tonight.  They are trying to counter but are making one too many passes in the Bruins end allowing guys like Chara to block the shooting lanes.  Not a great game by any measure.  

Ted is that you?  Perhaps Ted read your posts between periods?

“We were talking in between periods, it was almost like the Thrilla in Manila,” Nolan said. “We just roped-a-doped them. I think they got tired going in our offensive zone for the whole period.

Look Lindback is playing at a level he is not capable of maintaining.  He seriously can't maintain his sv% of .934 for the next 12 games.  Those are above Vezina numbers.  The Bruins hit 3 posts that I heard.   Breath everyone.   This team can't maintain this pace for more than another game or 2.  Once they crash again, it will take 8-10 games to dig out which is the end of the season.  

Ask Neuvirth about that.

All I see is a team that got two points but did not gain any ground in the tiebreaker.

Also, I'm beginning to wonder how many backup goaltenders the Sabres will face from here on out.  Probably only those in Arizona and Toronto.

Here's another question for everyone who wants to secure the last spot so we are assured of the top 2 pick.  It seems that we say this because we are almost convinced that the 30th place team will not get the #1 pick.  If you are convinced of that then why wouldn't you also be convinced that if the Sabres were 29th they wouldn't get the top pick anyway? 

I know.. just saying you are assured of a top 2 pick.. I get it.  But you are allowing for the strong possibility of not getting #1... :)

Like I said, it must be miserable to watch a game hoping they play poorly enough to win, all while being even more miserable if they happen to win. I just couldn't watch games hoping to not be entertained and then bitch about it afterwards. I've really got much better things to do than spend 3 hours of my day hoping to be bored to death.

I bet you that I (we) have enjoyed and been entertained by more games this season than fans who actually want them to win (20-43-7, 'nuff said.)  I simply cheer for the opposing players as though they are playing for the Sabres, because in a very real sense, they are.  It's really not that hard (OK, cheering for Marchand last night was tough), since players change on teams all of the time.  It's like Bizarro-Sabres this year.  I've only not enjoyed this season when they had there win streak, when Neuvirth was picking up points and the last two days (last night especially.)

Here's another question for everyone who wants to secure the last spot so we are assured of the top 2 pick.  It seems that we say this because we are almost convinced that the 30th place team will not get the #1 pick.  If you are convinced of that then why wouldn't you also be convinced that if the Sabres were 29th they wouldn't get the top pick anyway?

I know.. just saying you are assured of a top 2 pick.. I get it.  But you are allowing for the strong possibility of not getting #1... :)

In fact, I am even more convinced that if the Sabres end up 29th, then they will not get the top pick (it's only a 13.5% chance, which is even worse than the slim 20% chance if they finish 30th.)  Tanking would be far less attractive of an option if McDavid were sitting alone.  Were that the case, then no spot would give them even a good chance of getting a true elite player (1 in 5, at best).  The key is Eichel.  He is also considered a generational or near-generational player, just a hair below McDavid.  The 80% chance that you get him when you finish 30th versus the 20% when you finish 29th is far more important than the 20% versus 13.5% for McDavid.  I consider it a race for Eichel with a bonus shot for McDavid.

Edited by carpandean

I bet you that I (we) have enjoyed and been entertained by more games this season than fans who actually want them to win (20-43-7, 'nuff said.)  I simply cheer for the opposing players as though they are playing for the Sabres, because in a very real sense, they are.  It's really not that hard (OK, cheering for Marchand last night was tough), since players change on teams all of the time.  It's like Bizarro-Sabres this year.  I've only not enjoyed this season when they had there win streak, when Neuvirth was picking up points and the last two days (last night especially.)

In JJ's defense, he was replying to our resident Muppet, Statler, the never happy fan who won't enjoy the thrill of a win afgainst a hated rival and is increasingly critical of the path the points are taking.  It's gotta be a miserable fandom.

In JJ's defense, he was replying to our resident Muppet, Statler, the never happy fan who won't enjoy the thrill of a win afgainst a hated rival and is increasingly critical of the path the points are taking.  It's gotta be a miserable fandom.

But, I agree with him on both of these (this year only, of course.)  My point was that it only sucks right now because they aren't going in the direction that would benefit them and we were very happy when it was (much of the season.) 

Think of it like this: for each game, let bizarro-points = 2 - points, call each loss a bizzaro-win and let 30th = bizarro-PT (but worth much more than the actual PT is worth.)  We have been bizarro-winning a lot this season, but right when it looks like we're in a position to take the bizarro-PT, we've given up a lot of bizarro-points (while Arizona has been racking them up) and been playing like bizarro-s**t (i.e., well).  Plus, our coach seems set on riding our bizarro-cold (i.e., hot) goaltender, who is the single biggest reason that the only got one bizarro-point in the last two games, while the Coyotes got four.

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.