Grigorenko

DirtDart

How did he look last night?

Same old same old.

I think Grigorenko is going to take a lot longer to come around than people want to put up with. Think Tyler Ennis. He's got the raw talent but pretty much every other part of his game is lacking. 

It really is unfortunate that he can't clear waivers next year. He may make the team, but it would be ideal to have options. As is he has to be gifted a spot even if he doesn't earn it or traded. Without his situation being so horrible mishandled I think we'd all be pretty excited about him.

He seemed to be running around a little in his first few shifts, lost a few battles down low,  then wasn't on the ice much until I think mid second period.  He seemed to play a lot better towards the end of the game. 

Same old same old.

I think Grigorenko is going to take a lot longer to come around than people want to put up with. Think Tyler Ennis. He's got the raw talent but pretty much every other part of his game is lacking. 

He seemed to be running around a little in his first few shifts, lost a few battles down low,  then wasn't on the ice much until I think mid second period.  He seemed to play a lot better towards the end of the game. 

makes sense.  I think we need to be patient with him.  hell pominville was waived once wasnt he?

we have proved to have had 0 foresight in playing him more than 9 games and forcing him to be up w the big club w/o fear of being sent down next year... 

because of that we are forced to evaluate him this year unlike the majority who are being hidden and protected from those accepting the scarring losing culture that like it or not is the living consequence of a tank philosophy that has  many unintended consequences for every player exposed. 

it makes sense about ROR trade since Roy has the most extensive reason for confidence through proximity concerning the ceiling of grigs developement.concerning the rub is similar to armia... if he (roy) doesnt ask for alot (beside grigs) then he gives away his confidence in grigs ability to focus and mature in a winning situation that really matters (echoing his drop from top five...ten in draft. 

Murrays future hinges on being right about grigs armia and sam R  and Eichel since the opinions league wide vary so much about time to see results and their collective ceilings..

having to evaluate grigs during a tank seems allot of seeming tells ... my first though is where he ends  the year and on what roster... not sure what rules  are  about assigning players after camp w/0 having to clear waivers etc.. ig Pysyk is a key to murrays thinking then the length os time grigs or players like mccabe stay up and actually skate minutes which affect their status and value.. 

I havent watched much but the fact Roy is even interested is a tell in itself (if serious)

I think it is as simple as McEichel. We get one of those two he is trade bait and probably gone. If we don't he probably gets a solid chance to be a contributing player - at least long enough until the center not named McEichel has time to develop.

With three new forwards coming next year that are going to play there sure isn't a lot of room for all the forwards we have, grigo, schaller, Larson, Verone are going to have to take Foligno, Hodgson or someone elses spot. MY the best players win

Patrick Roy was his coach in junior.  Patrick Roy knows what Grigorenko can do and how to use his talent correctly.  A coach like Nolan who emphasizes hard work and safe hockey is afraid to let Grigorenko do what he does.  

He's an awful skater and terrible defensively, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have any value at some point.

Patrick Roy was his coach in junior.  Patrick Roy knows what Grigorenko can do and how to use his talent correctly.  A coach like Nolan who emphasizes hard work and safe hockey is afraid to let Grigorenko do what he does.   He's an awful skater and terrible defensively, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have any value at some point.

He isn't remotely considered bad defensively. He is always praised for his two way game

The Buffalo News article suggested he'd probably get the last 18 games of the season and boom, he's sent down again.

It must be so frustrating for the kid. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a real solid player with the right coaching. 

The Buffalo News article suggested he'd probably get the last 18 games of the season and boom, he's sent down again.

It must be so frustrating for the kid.

I wouldn't be surprised if he turned into a real solid player with the right coaching.

He had to be sent down because he was up on emergency recall. The team has only one more non emergency recall for the rest of the season and didn't want to use it yet.

He had to be sent down because he was up on emergency recall. The team has only one more non emergency recall for the rest of the season and didn't want to use it yet.

ah.....  If he isn't called up for the remaining 16, he'll make the roster out of camp.  Then, hopefully with McDavid or Eichel, his attitude will change for the better and he can actually play in the NHL.  We'll see in October...

Edited by Sidc3000

with so few games left and in last place......what constitutes an emergency at this point?

hoo boy. #25 solidly in nolan's doghouse.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ted-nolan-unimpressed-with-sabres-prospect-mikhail-grigorenko-i-didnt-like-his-play/

is that the same as being in GM TM's doghouse?

Hopefully he'll get it.  He's gotta fight for pucks in the defensive end instead of, as one of the writers wrote recently, "waiting for others to get the puck to him."

Also, I like Hoppe, but he's gotta stay away from the cliches.  Sentence number two.

enigmatic Russian

hoo boy. #25 solidly in nolan's doghouse.

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/ted-nolan-unimpressed-with-sabres-prospect-mikhail-grigorenko-i-didnt-like-his-play/

is that the same as being in GM TM's doghouse?

Highly doubtful.

I get that point. I think TN puts a little too much emphasis on that, but what he supposed to say... we suck?  

Grigo problem is his lack of effort. He never does the things that the great players do... hustle for puck and put in the effort every shift.  You never see the top scorers i nthe league float around like he does.  

If he was really a 1st round talent he wouldnt need linemates to prove himself.  It's not like he's out there creating chances but has no one to pass to or feed the puck.  

And it's not TN call to send Grigo back down, its GMTM.... so he must not like his game either.  

Having talented linemates is really really really important.  Especially for a 20 year old like Grigorenko.  All of your other points are absolutely right, he's not battling at the level he should be.  I'd be very surprised if we didn't see Grigorenko giving more effort when he has linemates that can actually maintain possession of the puck and create offense.  He's not a one man hockey factory like Zemgus, but not every player has to be.

Hopefully he'll get it.  He's gotta fight for pucks in the defensive end instead of, as one of the writers wrote recently, "waiting for others to get the puck to him."

Also, I like Hoppe, but he's gotta stay away from the cliches.  Sentence number two.

Yea that's been his issue, he doesn't fight for pucks or seem hungry out there. 

Grigorenko is lazy.  Either that or, like most Latvians, Teddy doesn't like Russians.   :angel:

Well he's certainly not hustling, and in the NHL he can't get by on his skill alone, bc while he clearly has talent, he's not good enough to coast. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.