Grigorenko

DirtDart

All of the tank , and previous lack of effort talk aside. Why is the kid not playing this year? He had a pretty good camp, and nice numbers in Roch.  I think he has payed his dues and deserves a spot over some of the other call ups. What say you?

Edited by DirtDart

All of the tank , and previous lack of effort talk aside. Why is the kid not playing this year? He had a pretty good camp, and nice numbers in Roch.  I think he has payed his dues and deserves a spot over some of the other call ups. What say you?

I think Grigorenko is suffering from 2 problems.  1) Ted Nolan thinks he is some guru of hockey or some BS and so he won't give a rookie (I still count grigs as one) playing time until he proves his worth.  Of course you can't prove your worth if you don't play.  2) I think Murray kept him in Rochester because he wanted him to develop more and because he was already better than our 3rd line center in Buffalo.  Murray didn't really want to see the team improve after the opening salvo or crap so he continued to keep Grigs in Rochester where it served the duel purpose of development and keeping the Sabres talent level artificially low.

I'm rather curious about what Murray's plan is for Grigo.  I could see Grigorenko not being a Murray kind of player and getting shipped off, but I think he's going to turn out to be a decent NHl center.  Not a great one, but a good one.  A career path ala Derick Brassard wouldn't surprise me at all.

I'm rather curious about what Murray's plan is for Grigo.  I could see Grigorenko not being a Murray kind of player and getting shipped off, but I think he's going to turn out to be a decent NHl center.  Not a great one, but a good one.  A career path ala Derick Brassard wouldn't surprise me at all.

I believe his contract is up at the end of the year. Will be interesting to see if they want to bring him back. He's shown flashes but really needs to improve skating and get stronger like Sam

I believe his contract is up at the end of the year. Will be interesting to see if they want to bring him back. He's shown flashes but really needs to improve skating and get stronger like Sam

Careful.  You are inviting a response in all caps and exclamation points that addresses a point you didn't make.

Edited by weave

Careful.  You are inviting a response in all caps and exclamation points that addresses a point you didn't make.

That Grigorenko is an RFA so they will give him at least another contract?  

Im not sure

Yea and what weave meant

Don't worry about Weave.  

I think since he is an RFA who has proven at the very least he can play in the AHL, he will get a contract.  At the very least you want him signed so you could package him in a trade.  He has 2nd line C upside and good size for the NHL.  If he puts it all together he could very well make it.  The really issue is we should not have even seen Mikhail in Buffalo until this season.  Yet another DR screw up.

Don't worry about Weave.  

I think since he is an RFA who has proven at the very least he can play in the AHL, he will get a contract.  At the very least you want him signed so you could package him in a trade.  He has 2nd line C upside and good size for the NHL.  If he puts it all together he could very well make it.  The really issue is we should not have even seen Mikhail in Buffalo until this season.  Yet another DR screw up.

I agree there. He will have his chance to show us more the rest of this season. Can't say I'm all that excited about what I've seen so far but he's just a kid, still only 19.

I agree there. He will have his chance to show us more the rest of this season. Can't say I'm all that excited about what I've seen so far but he's just a kid, still only 19.

Well with Zemgus out for the season (most likely) it sounds like they may give Grigorenko 18 games to show what he's got. If that is the case I hope he keeps improving every night.  Not to nitpick but Grigorenko will turn 21 in May, but you are right, still just a young kid learning his way.

Well with Zemgus out for the season (most likely) it sounds like they may give Grigorenko 18 games to show what he's got. If that is the case I hope he keeps improving every night.  Not to nitpick but Grigorenko will turn 21 in May, but you are right, still just a young kid learning his way.

Oops, yea you are right he does. I must have had something else on the mind when I wrote that.   I really hope he develops more, but not too much where he takes us on a huge winning streak ha.

Grigorenko will be qualified. This not even a question.

You will struggle to find many first round picks at all that don't get qualified, certainly not ones that showed what Grigo has in his first year in Rochester. Luke Adam gets qualified.

I hope he gets the rest of this year in Buffalo in the top six.

His future on this team is very much dependent on whether we get McEichel, but I think he is an NHLer.

I like the comparison to Brassard.

Edited by dudacek

I liked what I saw of him with Armia, a pure shooter/finisher.  Grigs has the ability to free these guys up and get them the bisquit in good positions.  Armia had the hands to control and shoot.  Until we see him with similar type players at the NHL level, the evaluation will be incomplete.  JMHO.

The issue I see is his attitude, some say it's his maturity level, others (I for one) think that he believes that he is better than he really is.  He expects to be a top line center and will accept nothing less.  Hopefully with Murray kicking his ass to the AHL for the season helped humble him a bit and he plays better this call up.  I really feel that Murray/Nolan is growing weary of Grigorenko.  So much so that I think this is his make or break call up.  If he plays bad he will be banished to Rochester until he gets traded.

He should get a nice long look, he better take this opportunity by the balls

It's a shame that Grigorenko has to do it alone. Some players need an elite talent by their side to partner with. Buffalo has a bunch of pee-wees. The Sabres may never know how good he can be because they can't partner him with someone, then they'll trade him to a place where he'll be surrounded by talent, where he will thrive.

Grigorenko remains a top prospect in the eyes of the league, according to Hockey News Future Watch.

He finished as our second-best, the 38th-ranked prospect overall in the league.

Last year he was 42.

For those not familiar with Future Watch, The Hockey News compiles the top 10 prospects on each team, then asks a panel of GMs and scouts to rank those players.

Grigorenko remains a top prospect in the eyes of the league, according to Hockey News Future Watch.

He finished as our second-best, the 38th-ranked prospect overall in the league.

Last year he was 42.

For those not familiar with Future Watch, The Hockey News compiles the top 10 prospects on each team, then asks a panel of GMs and scouts to rank those players.

It really is unfortunate that he can't clear waivers next year. He may make the team, but it would be ideal to have options. As is he has to be gifted a spot even if he doesn't earn it or traded. Without his situation being so horrible mishandled I think we'd all be pretty excited about him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.