Zemgus Girgensons' Injury - 2/24/2015

LGR4GM

The rumors are it could be season ending.  As our leading goal scorer, he deserves his own thread.  I hope the early rumblings are wrong and he is going to be okay.  Judging from the slow motion replay the shot clips the back of his leg and may have broken the bone or injured the tendon (gauging where it hit).  I hope this isn't the case and I hope it is just a really bad bruise. 

http://youtu.be/E7Sd14Rmdd4

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

Well, what do you know about shattered ankles and recovering from such and injury?  Don't leave us hanging!

Nothing other than memories bro. Ankle guards when I hacked shinny, looked great and really sucked if you got a puck on the ankle. The ones they use now, if they use them are maybe made of Kevlar or something but that was a hard shot and seeing it looked like he hit it dead on the ankle and Zemgus not putting weight on it coming off the ice, makes fear that he has more than some hairline fracture somewhere. I am concerned that he shattered his ankle and that will be a long, painfully slow recovery. I hope I am wrong.

Some injuries never heal. If you played hockey at any level, including road hockey lol you probably know.

So does Larsson finally get an extended look now or do they wind up going with someone like Schaller or Varone again?

That's an excellent question. I got the impression from Murray's interview that he wasn't a big fan of Larsson but he has looked good since he joined the team.

In all seriousness: I just hope Zemgus heals fully. He's a special sort of player -- one I do look forward to seeing in the blue and gold for many, many years.

Who was it who somewhat famously said of Leonardo DiCaprio, after seeing him in Gilbert Grape, "please, God, don't let anything happen to him"? I'm not sure, but that's what I have in mind for Girgensons.

Larsson should get the better line mates and Hodgson the power play time.

But you know it will be be Flynn and Mitchell.

If we deal Stewart and Mitchell, maybe Girgorenko will get a chance to finish out the season.

Pysyk should get Gorges' spot for the duration.

It's not like the Amerks are going anywhere this year.

The shot he took off lateral side, likely broke his fibula. Hopefully not his heel bone (calcaneus), but puck looked higher up, lateral mallelous of fibula more likely. It is non weight bearing, and can be pinned easily enough. Means he is out for season but recovery usually goes well.

Edited by Icehole

That's an excellent question. I got the impression from Murray's interview that he wasn't a big fan of Larsson but he has looked good since he joined the team.

I had the exact opposite impression.  I paraphrase, but he said every time we called down there he was the best player available.  He did not transition well from top line to bottom line minutes.  I thought it was more an indictment of the coaching staff than Larsson.  JMHO.

I had the exact opposite impression.  I paraphrase, but he said every time we called down there he was the best player available.  He did not transition well from top line to bottom line minutes.  I thought it was more an indictment of the coaching staff than Larsson.  JMHO.

Is this what GMTM is saying in the nicest possible way ?

I call Rochester, they tell me Larsson is playing the best NHL ready hockey...

Larsson comes to the big club and plays on a line with Ellis and Hodgson and their getting 3-10 TOI per game..

Now your asking me what is wrong with Larsson? I let the coaches coach and the players play, if they are not performing well, you can make up your own mind as to who and why...

I'm getting the feeling it's  60% unfavorable coaching toward Nolan, and 40% not doing enough towards Larsson. Seem about fair?

Definitely not a thata boy for either..

Edited by Woods-Racer

The shot he took off lateral side, likely broke his fibula. Hopefully not his heel bone (calcaneus), but puck looked higher up, lateral mallelous of fibula more likely. It is non weight bearing, and can be pinned easily enough. Means he is out for season but recovery usually goes well.

great call Icehouse, someone who actually knows anatomy with a good comment. A broken fibula/malleolus would be the best possible outcome, far easier to heal than the calcaneus. The critical factors are 1) the fracture pattern (i.e., oblique vs. comminuted) and 2) degree of soft tissue injury

great call Icehouse, someone who actually knows anatomy with a good comment. A broken fibula/malleolus would be the best possible outcome, far easier to heal than the calcaneus. The critical factors are 1) the fracture pattern (i.e., oblique vs. comminuted) and 2) degree of soft tissue injury

As a ct/xray tech i see a lot of them and take nice pics before and after:) - surgery

Edited by Icehole

Is this what GMTM is saying in the nicest possible way ?

I call Rochester, they tell me Larsson is playing the best NHL ready hockey...

Larsson comes to the big club and plays on a line with Ellis and Hodgson and their getting 3-10 TOI per game..

Now your asking me what is wrong with Larsson? I let the coaches coach and the players play, if they are not performing well, you can make up your own mind as to who and why...

I'm getting the feeling it's  60% unfavorable coaching toward Nolan, and 40% not doing enough towards Larsson. Seem about fair?

Definitely not a thata boy for either..

I'd go 70/30 but that's a reasonable assessment.  Similarly, his comment about wanting Pysik to do more than be a safe steady D is a message to the player(s) to make the most out of every shift, because I am watching and may be doing so through a different lens. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.