Zemgus Girgensons' Injury - 2/24/2015

LGR4GM

To bad loved his play last night, but will help the tank for sure now.

Most likly. When he was out for 1/2 of the 2nd the game before they couldn't get any of the lines to work nor maintain possession on the other side of the red line.

Hopefully the injury heals well and when he's back he continues playing strong.

great call Icehouse, someone who actually knows anatomy with a good comment. A broken fibula/malleolus would be the best possible outcome, far easier to heal than the calcaneus. The critical factors are 1) the fracture pattern (i.e., oblique vs. comminuted) and 2) degree of soft tissue injury

Sounds like a dis?

I'd go 70/30 but that's a reasonable assessment.  Similarly, his comment about wanting Pysik to do more than be a safe steady D is a message to the player(s) to make the most out of every shift, because I am watching and may be doing so through a different lens. 

And a dig at Nolan?

GMTM thinks Nolan is telling the kids to play simple, nothing fancy, play not to loose mentality. Where GMTM wants to see if their game is good enough for the big leagues, he wants the kids to have some freedom to make a few mistakes, but also to let go of their inhibitions to hopefully let their natural talent come out. I'm the GM, I know the difference between talent and youthful brain farts, let them  play.... dig to Nolan?

I think you read too much into it.  You may have a good assessment there, but you have no idea what the relationship is between GMTM and Nolan.  Are they fully in cahoots?  Are they Partners in the Tank?  Is GMTM hamstringing Nolan to the point of frustration?  Is Nolan's coaching style driving GMTM nuts?  Or is Nolan purposely coaching down to GMTM's expectations this year to ensure the pick they want on draft day?  Is Nolan the coach next year?  Without knowing the answers to all those questions and therefore not understanding the relationship between GMTM and Nolan, it's really hard to assess if GMTM is criticizing Nolan or just giving a nod & a wink to him while they both toast the Tank.

I think you read too much into it.  You may have a good assessment there, but you have no idea what the relationship is between GMTM and Nolan.  Are they fully in cahoots?  Are they Partners in the Tank?  Is GMTM hamstringing Nolan to the point of frustration?  Is Nolan's coaching style driving GMTM nuts?  Or is Nolan purposely coaching down to GMTM's expectations this year to ensure the pick they want on draft day?  Is Nolan the coach next year?  Without knowing the answers to all those questions and therefore not understanding the relationship between GMTM and Nolan, it's really hard to assess if GMTM is criticizing Nolan or just giving a nod & a wink to him while they both toast the Tank.

I will bet that neither would give the same answer for any of those questions. I believe GMTM is on an island, to be held at arms length from the rest of the organization. He knows what he must do, and not to look like he is doing it. Those under him feel they are being left out to dry, those over him may think he could do more.

I bet everyone at the Sabres will be relieved once this season is over with, it has to be hell.

And a dig at Nolan?

GMTM thinks Nolan is telling the kids to play simple, nothing fancy, play not to loose mentality. Where GMTM wants to see if their game is good enough for the big leagues, he wants the kids to have some freedom to make a few mistakes, but also to let go of their inhibitions to hopefully let their natural talent come out. I'm the GM, I know the difference between talent and youthful brain farts, let them  play.... dig to Nolan?

I don't think he is dissing Nolan at all. Rather, he is communicating that as GM he is using a different metric in assessing their ability. Show me something every chance you get because I have decisions to make.

I don't think he is dissing Nolan at all. Rather, he is communicating that as GM he is using a different metric in assessing their ability. Show me something every chance you get because I have decisions to make.

That's the rub, if GMTM brings them up, Nolan doesn't give them ice time (Larrson 3-5 minutes per game), what is to judge?

I really don't think there is anything going on with Murray and Nolan. I think Murray really does just give his coaches the freedom to do as they please. When he talks about not getting into his business, he really does mean he doesn't get into his business.

With that said, did anybody hear the comment from Nolan on Pysyk last night? A dig at Murray?

PHam: "You enjoy difficult decisions and he's going to make it difficult on ya, isn't he, to send him back?"

Nolan: "No it's never difficult for me, I know where he should be. But the process we're going through here, it's out of our control."

Edited by JJFIVEOH

I was hoping we'd hear some kind of an update on the injury today... not sure how long until they can decide, but I'd have guessed they'd know pretty quickly if anything was actually broken.  I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath on Nolan telling us anything more than "lower body injury" the way the rest have gone.

I really don't think there is anything going on with Murray and Nolan. I think Murray really does just give his coaches the freedom to do as they please. When he talks about not getting into his business, he really does mean he doesn't get into his business.

With that said, did anybody hear the comment from Nolan on Pysyk last night? A dig at Murray?

PHam: "You enjoy difficult decisions and he's going to make it difficult on ya, isn't he, to send him back?"

Nolan: "No it's never difficult for me, I know where he should be. But the process we're going through here, it's out of our control."

Who constitute "we" and "our"?  Maybe he's including GMTM in that, but the control is coming from higher up the chain.

I was hoping we'd hear some kind of an update on the injury today... not sure how long until they can decide, but I'd have guessed they'd know pretty quickly if anything was actually broken.  I suppose I shouldn't hold my breath on Nolan telling us anything more than "lower body injury" the way the rest have gone.

Recall that in seasons past they wouldn't reveal the nature of the injuries until locker clean-out day.  You may be waiting a while.

Recall that in seasons past they wouldn't reveal the nature of the injuries until locker clean-out day.  You may be waiting a while.

Yeah, you may be right.  Still, we should at least find out before too long whether it's season-ending or not.

Who constitute "we" and "our"?  Maybe he's including GMTM in that, but the control is coming from higher up the chain.

Good question, I was wondering that myself. 

A ha, that explains your acumen...

I was contrasting Icehouse's spot-on comment against those who pretend and guess at shizit they know nothing about relative to injuries

Got it. While icehouse comment may be spot on and your commentary as well, mine was speaking out about what I saw. And what I saw scares the hell out of me looking like it could be a shattered ankle vs just?! a broken bone. Until we know, we don't know and Iooking at the replays I am fearing the worst. But I spose if it was what I am fearing, he would have been stretchered off so maybe I should just calm down. Right?

Ehhhhh...I think too much is being read into that. Nolan is generally more literal than cryptic.

I think he's simply talking about the injuries.

FWIW, I was just adding an alternate interpretation to the discussion.

However, I have to disagree with your assessment of Nolan. I find that he can be literally cryptic, or cryptically literal these days. Contrasted against someone like Lindy, who was (is) always literal but acutely evasive, sometimes Teddy makes no sense.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.