Former Sabre Steve Montador Dead at 35

LastPommerFan

This is being discussed in the Around the NHL thread, but seems to be worthy of a dedicated thread.

http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/5340184-former-nhl-player-steve-montador-found-dead-at-his-mississauga-home/

I think we'd be hard pressed to find a Sabres Fan who didn't like Steve. 

RIP.

@mirtle: Steve Montador's death believed to be a suicide. He suffered from concussions and depression. Difficult financial situation too I'd heard.

Disgusting by Mirtle to publicize this. And it's an assumption. The report from doctors is that it appears to be of natural causes, not suicide.

I'm sad and angry all at the same time. Sad, of course, because 35 is way too freakin' young. Angry because whether natural causes or suicide, I'd be fairly surprised if concussions didn't play a role...and the NHL continues to think 2 games here or there is actually a punishment.

I've been trying to find out what caused the concussion in February 2012 that kept him out of the lineup for seven weeks. He returned for one game and went out again and never really came back. There were no fights in that February 2012 game against Colorado.

It was the guy's game.  We can't change what he was.  

Fair enough.

I'm sad and angry all at the same time. Sad, of course, because 35 is way too freakin' young. Angry because whether natural causes or suicide, I'd be fairly surprised if concussions didn't play a role...and the NHL continues to think 2 games here or there is actually a punishment.

Unfortunately concussions don't always come from dirty hits. Concussions are far too common in many sports and I don't know if they are something that can ever be eliminated.

Poor bastard, 35 is way too young. RIP!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.