Former Sabre Steve Montador Dead at 35

LastPommerFan

It takes a special person to become an athlete. If it were easy everybody would do it. Hockey has become an over-regulated, over-protected sport and it has led to a more dangerous sport. Not more physical, more dangerous. 

There are some things you just can't get rid of. It's a form of entertainment, one of which pays well for its best athletes..... even for the lesser ones to a point. What's next, do we take speed out of racing?

Why should the NHL, or the PA become more responsible for transitioning players into civilian life? Hockey players now know what they're getting into, its not like this comes as a surprise. If I decide to leave my job, I don't see them doing anything to make it easier for me to find another job. 

Now I can see a need for a special group of medical professionals that cares for athletes post-retirement. A specialized group of doctors might make it cheaper to deal with issues instead of just relying on a family doctor using a civilian medical plan. 

Very interesting what you bring up. And I agree. Over regulation in sports has led it to be more dangerous. When football was played with leather helmets guys were tackling with their shoulder.they would never spear a guy because of the false sense of security of the custom super-duper model helmet they are wearing. More advanced equipment = false sense of security.

Same with hockey. Guys had to wear helmets as we all know after a certain year.Again false sense of security.The lack of a helmet may have led to a less pretty face --but the helmet also makes players act in ways they wouldn't have before.

And without the helmet guys would their frustrations out  ..like a pressure valve...So they wouldn't act out dangerously while play was going on.Same with football.

The bigger faster stronger stuff is not the reason for increased injury.--And besides-some of the hardest hitters come in small packages(Peca).

I think there is too much emphasis placed on the NHL itself for these problems.

The players formed a Union so they could get better representation.  I don't see the NHLPA doing anything to speak to its own constituency about the problem.  I don't see the NHLPA stepping up for the transition program.

The NHL and NHLPA have to work together on this but I'll never understand how the Union doesn't become more involved when one of its own members takes out another of its members.

Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good. Basic, first step: get rid of fighting. Despite all the information the league has about concussions, the fact it still allows the game to be stopped so guys can hit each other in the head is asinine.

FWIW this year was the lowest ever for fighting in the league. IMO it's dying a slow death.

Let's not let perfect be the enemy of good. Basic, first step: get rid of fighting. Despite all the information the league has about concussions, the fact it still allows the game to be stopped so guys can hit each other in the head is asinine.

fighting is good in hockey. gets the frustration out so that it gets vented less when the players have sticks in their hands.

less fighting= more injuries

fighting is good in hockey. gets the frustration out so that it gets vented less when the players have sticks in their hands.

That's only because the other stuff isn't dealt with appropriately.

I don't want this to sound like I am absolving the NHL, but why aren't the players taking care of each other post-career?

They have the means and the mechanism (the NHLPA).

In career, they are also the ones elbowing each other in the jaw and cross-checking each other into the boards.

No offense, but I always thought that was a crock.

FWIW this year was the lowest ever for fighting in the league. IMO it's dying a slow death.

Interesting. Thanks.

I'm still torn on fighting. I don't agree with the idea that fighting is a necessity due to big men needing to hit something when they're upset about things... Getting rid of fighting kills off plugs like John Scott and several others. That's a good thing for the game, I think.

It's basically gotten to the point where the only reason that a guy like John Scott is around is so his team can protect players from other John Scotts. If you get rid of them then you're going to see quicker players who don't have to worry about taking an elbow to the face everytime they put their head down for a second.

Things will ALWAYS happen. It's a fast-paced game on ice that has a high variance in the size and strength among its participants.

However, I don't believe we need police brutalizing the game for the sake of preventing others from brutalizing the game. It's a circle.

I don't want this to sound like I am absolving the NHL, but why aren't the players taking care of each other post-career?

They have the means and the mechanism (the NHLPA).

In career, they are also the ones elbowing each other in the jaw and cross-checking each other into the boards.

Not to sound callous...but too many of them are meatheads (I don't mean unintelligent...I'm talking attitude/approach to science and numbers) with minimal formal education. They simply haven't been given the tools to look at it properly until it's too late. It's a culture/mentality issue that I think is changing, but ever so slowly. In addition to that, it's hardly unusual for people to have an "it won't happen to me" mentality, especially if they're fighting for their livelihoods. 

Not to sound callous...but too many of them are meatheads (I don't mean unintelligent...I'm talking attitude/approach to science and numbers) with minimal formal education. They simply haven't been given the tools to look at it properly until it's too late. It's a culture/mentality issue that I think is changing, but ever so slowly. In addition to that, it's hardly unusual for people to have an "it won't happen to me" mentality, especially if they're fighting for their livelihoods. 

I received a formal education.

It helped me to never pick up the phone when a 645 exchange shows up on the caller ID........

Very interesting what you bring up. And I agree. Over regulation in sports has led it to be more dangerous. When football was played with leather helmets guys were tackling with their shoulder.they would never spear a guy because of the false sense of security of the custom super-duper model helmet they are wearing. More advanced equipment = false sense of security.

Same with hockey. Guys had to wear helmets as we all know after a certain year.Again false sense of security.The lack of a helmet may have led to a less pretty face --but the helmet also makes players act in ways they wouldn't have before.

And without the helmet guys would their frustrations out  ..like a pressure valve...So they wouldn't act out dangerously while play was going on.Same with football.

The bigger faster stronger stuff is not the reason for increased injury.--And besides-some of the hardest hitters come in small packages(Peca).

Good points.

The thing about fighting. Usually you have a chance to defend yourself. And more times than not a fight is in response to a dangerous play.

The real brain scramblers are inside the whistles, the head hits, hits from behind into the boards, or getting caught cutting through the middle.

If you take out fighting completely, I don't think it would reduce concussions unless the NHL got serious about suspensions and fines for dirty play. As in 30 game suspensions rather than 3.

The thing about fighting. Usually you have a chance to defend yourself. And more times than not a fight is in response to a dangerous play.

The real brain scramblers are inside the whistles, the head hits, hits from behind into the boards, or getting caught cutting through the middle.

If you take out fighting completely, I don't think it would reduce concussions unless the NHL got serious about suspensions and fines for dirty play. As in 30 game suspensions rather than 3.

I'm not sure this is true.

I'm not sure this is true.

I was going to say that as well, but I don't have any data to disprove it. It's so subjective. I think most fights are carny side shows to entertain the fans during the regular season. A lot — I want to say most — are born out of nothing except one team wanting to "regain the momentum" or "save face" after falling too far behind to come back. Some seem to be "staged" and others follow clean hits (which can still be dangerous, of course). More study is needed here. Look at me, going all #analytics and #collegeedumucation.

With the others, not sure whether fights are responses to dangerous plays "more times than not," but I think it's at least very close to 50% of the time.

You're right on with everything else.

• 3 weeks later...

Some additional information -

TORONTO (AP) -- Former NHL defenseman Steve Montador had a degenerative brain disease that has been linked to repeated blows to the head, according to researchers who autopsied his brain.

Montador died in February at age 35 of an undisclosed cause. He had multiple concussions during his career with six NHL teams and had been exhibiting signs of a possible brain disorder, including depression, memory problems and erratic behavior.

Link- http://sports.yahoo.com/news/autopsy-nhls-steve-montador-had-degenerative-brain-disease-165114503--nhl.html

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.