23-man roster predictions for 2015-16 season

JohnRobertEichel

The thing is, who are the other choices? Niemi might be better, but he's not the long-term answer and will be expensive.

The other guys out there are mostly just versions of Neuvirth.

Murray's really backed himself into a corner.

Possibly, but goalies always seem to pop loose over the summer -- whether it's a FA like Halak or young studs stuck in backup roles like Bernier or Schneider. 

(Speaking of Bernier, if the Leafs are in a burn-it-down frenzy this summer, I'd be happy with him.)

I'm in favor of a Sekera return. Probably not the greatest PP QB, but can definitely move the puck and help produce some offense at even strength.

I always kinda liked Reggie, but I don't think he's TM's preferred type.

I'm all for adding Mike Green. His injuries make you nervous, but he may be worth the risk.

No thanks.  He'll be too expensive given the injury risk and inconsistency.

Possibly, but goalies always seem to pop loose over the summer -- whether it's a FA like Halak or young studs stuck in backup roles like Bernier or Schneider. 

(Speaking of Bernier, if the Leafs are in a burn-it-down frenzy this summer, I'd be happy with him.)

I doubt Bernier is part of the scorched earth policy in Leaf-land, but if he is, I am all over that.

Long-time fan of his game.

Hope you're right about someone popping loose, but I don't like it as a strategy.

I seem to be far more concerned about goaltenders than most.

Edited by dudacek

I doubt Bernier is part of the scorched earth policy in Leaf-land, but if he is, I am all over that.

Long-time fan of his game.

Hope you're right about someone popping loose, but I don't like it as a strategy.

I seem to be far more concerned about goaltenders than most.

I'll be a lot more concerned about goaltenders if we're scratching our head going into the 2016 season. I still don't expect us to be especially good next year, so I'm not too worried yet.

If Hackett plays 8 games this year he will be RFA and allow the Sabres another year to give him more games before deciding if he can handle the load. I trust Murray to have a plan.

Kane Reinhart Eichel/Moulson/ufa

Ennis Girgensons/Eichel Moulson/ufa

Foligno Grigorenko/Girgensons Gionta

Deslaurier McCormick Flynn/Ufa

Kaleta

Bogosian Gorges

Ristolainen Zadorov

Pysyck McCabe

Weber

UFA/Trade

Hackett

This is a rebuild. GMTM wants to maximize assets. Stewart will be traded. I'll bet a contract hadn't even been offered.

GMTM said he wants the timeline sped up, I think rebuild got changed with Kane joining us. Let's stop stripping this team anymore and assume we might not be that bad after we drop our useless pieces..

Here's mine (new players are shown in caps, including any Sabre who is either injured for the year or is in minors):

G1 NIEMI

G2 MAKAROV

D1 Ristolainen - Zadorov

D2 Bogosian - Gorges

D3 PYSYK - MCCABE

D4 Weber

F1 KANE - REINHART - EICHEL

F2 Ennis - GRIGORENKO - Moulson

F3 Foligno - Girgensons - Gionta

F4 Deslauriers - LARSSON - Flynn

F5 MCCORMICK, Kaleta

Your thoughts? Feel free to post your own roster predictions or offer criticism on mine!

I think the only truly controversial thing I did here was place Eichel at right wing instead of center. First, I believe it's going to be Eichel because we are going to finish 30th and 80% is much more likely than 20%. Second, Eichel has the size and skillset to play as a power forward winger guy. Third, I like the idea of having our 3 most talented forwards on the same line.

Also note that I think we land the best free agent goalie, Hodgson gets bought out, and several Rochester guys are able to make the leap to the big leagues.

Goalies I have no clue on.

I like your D-pairings, but I think McCabe would be best served with another year in Rochester.  I have always thought that Ruhwedel may not be a top 4 D-guy, but he would be pretty good as a 5-6 guy (being good at getting the puck up the ice.)  

I have reservations on whether Reinhart is truly ready next year.  Sounds like Tim Murray thinks he will be here, but then I don't think he will/should be leading your #1 line out there (although honestly, the #1 and #2 lines get almost the same ice time, on a good team the #3 line is even close)

If they do draft/get Eichel, he is a center to me. Don't even mess with him on wing at all.

I want Hodgson to recover, I really do.  But I don't see where he fits in here.

I'd take Foligno off that 3rd line, and make him fit in someplace with the 4th line (with that bunch that you have there already)  Taking his place will be your free agent of choice/trade aquisition/young training camp surprise guy.

Bottom line on forward lines for me is this:  Don't worry about who is the #1 or #2 or whatever line.  For next year, make your top 3 lines all inter-changeable. The 4th line can be your typical checking/banger line, but even they should be good enough to get rolled out there on a regular basis.

Edited by mjd1001

This is a rebuild. GMTM wants to maximize assets. Stewart will be traded. I'll bet a contract hadn't even been offered.

I bet it has been discussed, though (not in terms of hard contract discussions, but theoretical what ifs).  They probably know what it'll take to bring him back.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Moulson-McEichel-Kane

Ennis-Reinhart-UFA (Jagr/Williams come to mind as savvy vets)(Or Girgs with Grigs as the 3rd line Center)

Foligno-Girgensons-Gionta

Delauries-McCormick-Kaleta

Extras: Larsson-Flynn 

Risto-Bogosian

Zadorov-Gorges

UFA-Pysyk (Ehrhoff/Methot/Green maybe?) (I want either a savvy strong vet, a PP QB, or a combination of those 2) (After all, McEichel and/or Reinhart may QB the PP) 

7th D Weber

Niemi (probably the best goalie available)

Enroth/Neuvirth varying on if they find starting jobs. If neither wish to play 18-30 games as a backup we grab another goalie or promote an AHLer  

I am going toss a first line out there for discussion.

Taylor Hall - Zemgus Girgensons - Evander Kane

Going into 2015 with this as the first line will cause a great deal of excitement. A great deal of size, grit and talent. Can't remember the last time we had a first line like this.

I don't believe we have the assets to make a Hall deal unless we're including two of Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons, Reinhart, 2016 first.

Can we not keep moving McEichel to the wing? We've spent years and years dreaming of having capable elite centers and then we get one and move them to the wing? No. Stop it.

Easier to protect them, especially if they are to face top lines. Less responsibility for them. It is not unusual - e.g. Stamkos and Sequin

Easier to protect them, especially if they are to face top lines. Less responsibility for them. It is not unusual - e.g. Stamkos and Sequin

We don't need to protect them by manipulating lines. Their best play is at center. Put them there and let the players around them protect them. There's a reason Murray is loading up on guys like Kane and Bogosian...

I am going toss a first line out there for discussion. 

Taylor Hall - Zemgus Girgensons - Evander Kane

Going into 2015 with this as the first line will cause a great deal of excitement. A great deal of size, grit and talent. Can't remember the last time we had a first line like this. 

Well, that would be freaking fantastic.

What are you prepared to give up for Hall?  He will cost more than Kane.

I don't believe we have the assets to make a Hall deal unless we're including two of Risto, Zadorov, Girgensons, Reinhart, 2016 first.

I think Risto, 2015 1st (the lower one) and Ennis might get it done -- but I'm not sure I would pay that price. 

If we did have Taylor Hall, I'd probably want Eichel or Reinhart centering him and Kane.

Me too.

Kane - Girgensons - Eichel

Moulson - Reinhart - Gionta

Foligno - Grigo - CoHo

Delauries - McCormick - Kaleta

Larsson - Flynn

OEL - Bogo

Zadorov - Risto

Gorges - Pysyk

Weber

Pickard

Gustavsson

The forward lines look pretty likely, although I'm hoping for another good offseason pickup in the top 6.

On D -- how are we going to get OEL?  Are you trading Ennis for him?  OEL is under contract for another 4 years, and I don't see AZ trading him under any circumstances. 

The forward lines look pretty likely, although I'm hoping for another good offseason pickup in the top 6.

On D -- how are we going to get OEL?  Are you trading Ennis for him?  OEL is under contract for another 4 years, and I don't see AZ trading him under any circumstances. 

Yeah it is a bit of hail Mary. Ennis, McCabe, 31st overall pick, 2nd lowest first round pick was my thought. Probably a bit low though - maybe add Baptiste or Bailey

Edited by ThirtyEight

Ennis - Mcdavid  - Girgensons

Kane - Reinhart - Stewart

Moulson- Grigorenko - Hodgson

Deslauriers - Larson - Foligno

Flynn - McCormick

Bogosian - Sekera (maybe erhoff)

Ristolainen - Zadorov

Gorges - Pysyk

Weber

Niemi

Makarov (or neuvirth on a one year deal)

we are weak on RW.  LW and center looking good though.  

Most might think Grigorenko as 3C might not happen, but i can see it happen very much.   Solid at faceoffs and already showed he is good on defense.

Can't see Zemgus remaining as center within all this though, or they move out grigorenko brining in a top 6 RW.

Baptiste - Bailey - compher will be our RW in the future anyways.

No F'n way we ice a team at the beginning of the season with 4 rooks at center.

And it is fairly common for a rookie center to break into the league at wing.  I expect at least one of Reinhart and Grigo to start the season at wing, and I wouldn't question it at all if McEichel got his start on a wing.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.