Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

OK, is it wait for the end of the season or argue now?  I've chosen wait until the end of the season.  I've said all I can say and more and I'm not going back in despite the fact that Liger is mischaracterizing several of my points and plain making stuff up as well.  See you back here April 10th!

are you still here?   :rolleyes:

The Jets are as far from lst place as they are to making the playoffs so it is anyone's guess....mine is they don't make the playoffs.

Long story short, the Jets went with Ehlers, Copp, Petan (sent down), and Burmi and the youth didn't pan out. Lowry, Trouba, Myers, Ladd, Chiarot and a host of others started the season playing like they didn't belong in the NHL....Goaltending was shite too....some are picking up their games ... Myers has 8 points in his last 10 games for instance and Trouba has come around since being switched to LHD and paired with Buff.

Stafford, next to Wheeler, has been our most consistent player all year.

Does the trade have anything to do with it? Hard to say but I would think Myers' poor play early had something to do with it.

Hellebuyck is playing as advertised and could squeak them into the playoffs but I don't see it happening....our last 21 games are played in 40 days so I don't see us getting in....Also if Ladd/Buff aren't signed by the TD, they will be dealt and that would make us weaker.

I'm dumbfounded anyone in their right mind would want anything to with myers and stafford. We're two players more vilified than them over the last 2 seasons?

In EastSide's defence, he doesn't want Staph and Myers, he wants a different trade.  Well..... he seems to want Staph and Myers production, so maybe he doesn't know what he wants.

I don't think we should be as focused on who got the better of this trade.  Maybe the better question is whether we could have received better value from another team in return for trading Myers, Stafford, Lemieux, Armia and a first round pick.

Yes, and it is totally unanswerable.

The Jets are as far from lst place as they are to making the playoffs so it is anyone's guess....mine is they don't make the playoffs.

Long story short, the Jets went with Ehlers, Copp, Petan (sent down), and Burmi and the youth didn't pan out. Lowry, Trouba, Myers, Ladd, Chiarot and a host of others started the season playing like they didn't belong in the NHL....Goaltending was shite too....some are picking up their games ... Myers has 8 points in his last 10 games for instance and Trouba has come around since being switched to LHD and paired with Buff.

Does the trade have anything to do with it? Hard to say but I would think Myers' poor play early had something to do with it.

Hellebuyck is playing as advertised and could squeak them into the playoffs but I don't see it happening....our last 21 games are played in 40 days so I don't see us getting in....Also if Ladd/Buff aren't signed by the TD, they will be dealt and that would make us weaker.

Hellebuyck looks really good.

I think Little, in particular and possibly among others, has been more consistent for you guys than Stafford though, from what I've seen. A quick glance at Little's game log shows he hasn't suffered through the long stretches of disappearing that Staff has. Stafford has had a few 4-game pointless streaks as well as an 11-game pointless drought where he was a whopping minus-12. He is also I believe a team worst -5 and has 11 less points overall than Little.

I love how I'm told I'm evaluating this trade too early, but people keep dragging me back in.  Maybe I'm only being told that because I'm not evaluating it the same way as everyone else?

1) I don't particularly like Stafford or Myers.  Just about any other trade(s) would have been better, especially when you add in the other 3 valuable assets we parted with.  Stafford was going no matter what, so even a draft pick would have been better than the horrible trade that did occur.  Myers production would be a huge upgrade this year to what we've gotten from Bogo, even including any additional "concepts".  Isn't a big complaint the lack of offense generated from the defensemen on this team?

2) I want more production, not "concepts", from the players we received.  If they are so superior to what we parted with, why aren't we seeing that?

3) We would be better off with Myers, Armia, Lemieux, the 1st rounder, and a draft pick which replaces Stafford.  And that's sad.  The trade is a negative thus far.

I don't think we should be as focused on who got the better of this trade.  Maybe the better question is whether we could have received better value from another team in return for trading Myers, Stafford, Lemieux, Armia and a first round pick.

We didn't necessarily have to part with all of that.  As a rebuilding team, was it even wise to do so?  Early indications are no. 

I love how I'm told I'm evaluating this trade too early, but people keep dragging me back in.  Maybe I'm only being told that because I'm not evaluating it the same way as everyone else?

1) I don't particularly like Stafford or Myers.  Just about any other trade(s) would have been better, especially when you add in the other 3 valuable assets we parted with.  Stafford was going no matter what, so even a draft pick would have been better than the horrible trade that did occur.  Myers production would be a huge upgrade this year to what we've gotten from Bogo, even including any additional "concepts".  Isn't a big complaint the lack of offense generated from the defensemen on this team?

2) I want more production, not "concepts", from the players we received.  If they are so superior to what we parted with, why aren't we seeing that?

3) We would be better off with Myers, Armia, Lemieux, the 1st rounder, and a draft pick which replaces Stafford.  And that's sad.  The trade is a negative thus far.

We didn't necessarily have to part with all of that.  As a rebuilding team, was it even wise to do so?  Early indications are no. 

This is the part that I think everyone is disagreeing with. Myers was incredibly stagnant while he was here outside out his Calder season. Armia was an incredibly huge disappointment while he was here, even though he was probably the one player Sabres fans which would pan out. 

So Myers has 18 points on the season, 8 of which are in the last 10 (10 pts. in the previous 31). The next 10 games will be the interesting ones, is 0.8 PPG a streak or has his game turned around?

This is the part that I think everyone is disagreeing with. Myers was incredibly stagnant while he was here outside out his Calder season. Armia was an incredibly huge disappointment while he was here, even though he was probably the one player Sabres fans which would pan out. 

Armia may pan out, but the guy is what, 24 and couldn't break onto a roster than only has one other actual RW. That doesn't speak well for him, but most rosters also don't have two players out of position (Ennis and Reinhart) being useful either. It's a shame too, I was looking forward to the Armia: One (Army of One) postings in the GDTs.

Buffalo also paid half of Staf's remaining salary and Myers got a LOT of cash in the earlier stages of his contract. 12m the first year. His cap hit is 5.5m and he is making 5m this year and then 4m, 3 1/2m, 3m.

Buffalo also got Jason Kasdorf.

I believe the trade was a good one for both teams but in the long run, the Sabres will be happier imo.

Myers unfortunately didn't have any season of good after his rookie year. That was a shame. Stafford? His time in Buffalo was up and he needed to go. I would be concerned on how Lemieux turns out if I were the Sabres, but that would mean looking back and to me, that's not helpful at all.

I think Bogo will be the consistent guy needed back there to bang and crash and be a rock back there on the D. Kane? The guy is brimming with talent and I believe it will translate on the ice, but it seems he doesn't have any help from the hockey gods. He's gonna' have to work hard and not give up and accept the stats he has. If he continues working hard, and doesn't go to jail, I think it'll come. Maybe not this year, but that's ok. This team is still not ready and I'm fine with effort and no results, right now. Hopefully it'll click for him and if it does, the trade is won by Buffalo imo.

Glad he had a good game today and made the right play not trying to score through Myers on the empty net. Nice to see him set up Reinhart for the hat trick. 

congrats on the win guys .

all 5 of the players involved in the trade played okay I thought.

Your goalie played really well as did Reinhart.

What's the deal with Ladd and Buff? Are they staying? Last I heard they both proposed insane contracts.

Nobody knows what anyone has said in negotiations....

Chevy keeps this close to the vest and so do those two players.

I'm not sure but I'd sign Buff and Trade Ladd if we aren't making the p layoffs and I don't think we are.

Nobody knows what anyone has said in negotiations....

Chevy keeps this close to the vest and so do those two players.

I'm not sure but I'd sign Buff and Trade Ladd if we aren't making the p layoffs and I don't think we are.

If either of those proposals hold any truth, I can't see anybody investing that much into both of those guys. I agree with you, if they signed one I'd take Buff. Even though he comes in to camp overweight all the time I think he has the physique to be a productive players well into his mid 30's. He brings more to the table than Ladd.

If either of those proposals hold any truth, I can't see anybody investing that much into both of those guys. I agree with you, if they signed one I'd take Buff. Even though he comes in to camp overweight all the time I think he has the physique to be a productive players well into his mid 30's. He brings more to the table than Ladd.

He doesn't come into camp outta shape, at least not since Maurice has taken over.

Eleven,

How do I like what? The game?

Never knew Byfuglien was such a pu$$y. Lost all respect for him. 

????

He doesn't come into camp outta shape, at least not since Maurice has taken over.

Eleven,

How do I like what? The game?

????

You know damned well what I'm referring to. 

And your comparison to Weber's hit on Ehlers is not even close. 

Buff's hit was in the open and didn't draw a penalty...can you say that about Weber's cheap shot on Ehlers? Hitting someone from behind is the dirties hit there is. A coward's move. A very dangerous one too. Look at the replay, Buff isn't even putting 50% into it. If he wanted to, he could have annihilated him.

Buff's hit was in the open and didn't draw a penalty...can you say that about Weber's cheap shot on Ehlers? Hitting someone from behind is the dirties hit there is. A coward's move. A very dangerous one too. Look at the replay, Buff isn't even putting 50% into it. If he wanted to, he could have annihilated him.

Still a headshot the way I see it.   didn't see webers hit yet so

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij8nBcwnWuU

Dirty hit from behind yes, hard hit no.

Edited by Huckleberry

Every Sabres fan saw the replay a few times on the broadcast, and then a few more on Twitter afterwards.  He sees he has a chance to hit Reinhart's head so he goes straight for it and leads with his elbow (and NHL elbow pads are basically rock-solid body armor at this point). It's a miracle Reinhart didn't suffer a concussion, or a neck injury given how his head jerked back.

Sorry your favorite player is a scumbag.

Still a headshot the way I see it.   didn't see webers hit yet so.

Weber's hit was garbage too, but at least everyone in the game day thread called him on it.  And a few of us even praised Thorburn on standing up for his teammate.  (Something the Sabres could learn.)