Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

He'd make the Sabres better at this point. (But I imagine GMTM has a move up his sleeve for a RW). 

It's going to be interesting to see Staffs numbers given the  chance to play a full season with a competent center. 

I agree. I was more commenting on the fact that we didn't trade away the current deal Stafford. We traded away a pending UFA. All we had left of him guaranteed was a few months of service.

Would he make our team better right now, sure. But I don't think by very much. He's a serviceable player turning 30 this year who arguably may affect the culture in a negative way. 

I don't spend time worrying about not having Drew Stafford. It's "who cares" for me at this point.

Edit: To be honest, I don't spend much time worrying about former players once they are traded in general. What's done is done, I want to focus on the players we have now. The Kassian for Hodgson dialogue that continued ad naseum for so long is in some ways a good example of why focusing on former players just becomes tedious. 

Edited by Thorny

We've had this disagreement before, but I'll reiterate:  justifying contracts based on comparables is how you get to Darcy-level mediocrity.  Just because other teams pay too much for crappy players doesn't mean the Sabres should do so too.

When you have real difference-makers, you pay them what it costs to keep them.  When you have JAGs, you cycle through them until you find the right guys.

[in a Sean Connery voice:]  That's the Chicago way.

I think it was  a smart contract for Chevy. In two years we should easily have they guys to push Staf out so we trade him at the trading deadline. Until then, he gives us a 2nd winger that can go to 1st in a pinch and fills a need for the term of his contract. I am thinking if Wheeler gets hurt, Ehlers or Armia will be plugged into his spot though. If Staf disappears for 10 games, Maurice won't have him playing on the 2nd line (unless it is to showcase him for a trade), he will play down the roster.

Great that hockey is almost here.

I can absolutely guarantee you that Kaner will be in the top 3 of in shape people in the locker room for you guys. Bogo is no slouch and is a bigger dude than Kane but Kane is pretty strict with his working out. At the end of the 2103-2014 season he missed the last 2 weeks to injury. I heard an interview with him and the guy asked him how many weeks he took off after the season finished for the Jets (no playoffs)..........Kane answered that he had missed the last 2 weeks of the season and he deemed that his time off because he couldn't work out. When the season ended, he started working out. Put him with an elite passer for a center and he should score you a lot of goals.

Edited by Ducky

I think it was  a smart contract for Chevy. In two years we should easily have they guys to push Staf out so we trade him at the trading deadline. Until then, he gives us a 2nd winger that can go to 1st in a pinch and fills a need for the term of his contract. I am thinking if Wheeler gets hurt, Ehlers or Armia will be plugged into his spot though. If Staf disappears for 10 games, Maurice won't have him playing on the 2nd line (unless it is to showcase him for a trade), he will play down the roster.

Great that hockey is almost here.

I can absolutely guarantee you that Kaner will be in the top 3 of in shape people in the locker room for you guys. Bogo is no slouch and is a bigger dude than Kane but Kane is pretty strict with his working out. At the end of the 2103-2014 season he missed the last 2 weeks to injury. I heard an interview with him and the guy asked him how many weeks he took off after the season finished for the Jets (no playoffs)..........Kane answered that he had missed the last 2 weeks of the season and he deemed that his time off because he couldn't work out. When the season ended, he started working out. Put him with an elite passer for a center and he should score you a lot of goals.

I agree with this unlike some others here. The term being 2 years is key, just like it was for us signing Franson. Not long enough to cause cap trouble, and a nice bridge until your forwards get up. (Ehlers must be close, among others.) 

I also agree with the second bolded part. Hope y'all have a fantastic season, I'll be rooting for you guys.

Just watched a video of the first TC scrimmage. Only a scrimmage but Copp centered Lemieux and Armia and was probably the best line out there. Staf played with Scheifele and Wheeler and that line did not impress me at all.  Armia is smooth in traffic and a very good passer. Set up Lemieux for a nice goal. How's Kaner and Bogo looking? I haven't heard anything. Who is Kaner playing with?

Who is Kaner playing with?

The Sabres first line at Training Camp was Kane - O'Reilly - Ennis.  None of them played in the first preseason game.  Kane is talking big- he said he thinks he can score 40-50 goals this year.  I think it's entirely possible that the the Sabres will have a #1 and a #1A line (as opposed to #1 and #2) if Eichel continues to impress.  Pulling together a true top line takes a lot of pressure of Jack, so hopefully the Kane line will produce.

Edited by Robins Egg

Just watched a video of the first TC scrimmage. Only a scrimmage but Copp centered Lemieux and Armia and was probably the best line out there. Staf played with Scheifele and Wheeler and that line did not impress me at all.  Armia is smooth in traffic and a very good passer. Set up Lemieux for a nice goal. How's Kaner and Bogo looking? I haven't heard anything. Who is Kaner playing with?

If Lemiuex can create space and time for Armia, you will have a good line. Armia just needs someone to help him with that.  I don't know much about Copp but glad to hear they are producing. 

I don't think Armia and Lemieux will play on the same line on the big team if/when they do. Armia is projected for the 1st/2nd and Lemieux the 3rd/4th.

If Kane plays with the right setup man, the sky is the limit.

Edited by Ducky

Kaner got a goal I see, how was his overall play?

Two goals. His overall play was good beacuse, well, he scored twice, in his first game back in a long time. That's as many goals in one game as Armia scored in 21 games in the AHL after the trade. :P

Kaner got a goal I see, how was his overall play?

He scored two, actually. A little rust, but the wheels were on full display as was his toughness in leading the team with six hits. Very strong on the backcheck as well. I think the Kane-O'Reilly-Ennis line has the makings of something special. Ton of speed to spare. 

GO SABRES!!!

I want to note on Kane that he made a huge hit during the 3 on 3 OT shortly before the "game winner" was scored. Miles of open ice and he still managed to crunch a guy.

Wait a minute, weren't you grounded for criticizing Kane? Is this an attempt to cut your time?

I want to note on Kane that he made a huge hit during the 3 on 3 OT shortly before the "game winner" was scored. Miles of open ice and he still managed to crunch a guy. 

Had a couple dandy hits in regulation too. He should have his own song.

Animal.