Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

It would take a huge turnaround for us to make the playoffs this year....

If we aren't go ing to make them, I hope we finish dead last and are in on the Mathews sweepstake.

My sympathies, good sir.  We are well familiar with your unhappiness.

Let's say Winnipeg doesn't finish bottom-5, but does finish bottom-10 and misses the playoffs by a healthy margin.  In that scenario, do you want to re-sign Ladd and/or Byfuglien?

It's a tricky question.  The Sabres wrestled with it a few years ago with the Miller-Vanek-Pominville group.  Those were their best players, but they had led the team into the dumpster.  Since every time you give a guy a big contract, it means that money/cap space isn't available for someone who is potentially better, you really need to figure out whether you want that guy to be one of your core going forward.

I'd trade Ladd yesterday but Buff needs to stay...

Buff>Trouba>Myers... I'm not comfortable with Trouba-Myers being our top 2 RHD.

Besides, Buff is a smart player, towards the end of his career he could probably morph over to become a really good, defensive minded shutdown D man.

Montreal or someone that thinks Ladd will help would probably give a good return for him at the trade deadline. He averages about 61 points a game but he is asking for 41m over 6 years ( if you wanna believe rumors ). Too much. I'd wrap him and Myers up for Hamonic and Okposo if I were GM. Then, I would give Okposo that 7m per year and convert Ehlers over to the LW to fill the void.

We are 8 points out of a playoff spot and play that team 3 times in January but we also play the last 21 games in 40 days so I honestly don't think we will be in the playoffs this year. Brighter days are ahead with the young guys coming up so we have to be patient. This is not a league you can build a contender in, with what was left in the cupboards when this team moved, in 5 years.

I forgot, I'd give Buff a 5 year contract worth 40m.

If he insists on 6 years, 42m.

Not buying it. He's said he's always done things like this. I'm chalking it up to an old fuddy duddy Canadian audience who didn't have any tolerance for someone who,embraced the hip hop culture.

It's this. I live there.

I'd trade Ladd yesterday but Buff needs to stay...

Buff>Trouba>Myers... I'm not comfortable with Trouba-Myers being our top 2 RHD.

Besides, Buff is a smart player, towards the end of his career he could probably morph over to become a really good, defensive minded shutdown D man.

Montreal or someone that thinks Ladd will help would probably give a good return for him at the trade deadline. He averages about 61 points a game but he is asking for 41m over 6 years ( if you wanna believe rumors ). Too much. I'd wrap him and Myers up for Hamonic and Okposo if I were GM. Then, I would give Okposo that 7m per year and convert Ehlers over to the LW to fill the void.

We are 8 points out of a playoff spot and play that team 3 times in January but we also play the last 21 games in 40 days so I honestly don't think we will be in the playoffs this year. Brighter days are ahead with the young guys coming up so we have to be patient. This is not a league you can build a contender in, with what was left in the cupboards when this team moved, in 5 years.

I forgot, I'd give Buff a 5 year contract worth 40m.

If he insists on 6 years, 42m.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=792693&navid=nhl%3Atopheads

Byfuglien is asking for $55 million over 8 years. He is turning 31, and in my mind, and I am sure Cheveldayoff's as well, as he seems like a smart guy, this is too much and too long given his age. Unfortunately for you guys I can't see him signing for either of those options you proposed.

Ladd, as you mentioned, is asking for 6 years and 41 million. Yeesh. Can't see them keeping Ladd at this price either. The guy is already headed into the downside of his career and his numbers are falling this year already. The contract he is asking for would greatly handcuff whoever gives it to him. Deadline deal for something seems appropriate.

Trouba is the right age for a longer deal, but he is asking for a laughable $56 million over 8 years, in the midst of a poor season thus far. He isn't going to get that.

Chevy is too smart to sign these players to these deals, I think. Whoever gives these guys these deals is going to regret it.

Edited by Thorny

He's not getting 8 years, he'll get 7 tops if Chevy re-signs him....

Armia only plays a handful of shifts tonight because of all the special teams play.

Staf played well as he has all season and Myers, well, everyone says he had a great game.

Armia scored and got his first point last night....he is playing well on the 4th line and getting about 8-9 minutes a game. No signs of inconsistency from his game yet.

If by that you mean he's consistently a non-factor, then sure.

Myers is out-scoring Bogosian and Kane combined, and Stafford is out-scoring Myers

:sick:

That trade is not looking better over time unfortunately.  Kane and Bogo have been 2 of the bigger disappointments so far this year for the Sabres.  Bogo, especially, in my opinion.  Last year, before injury, he looked like exactly the physical presence and leader the Sabres needed moving forward, but he has regressed very much this year in my view.

Kane, as has been mentioned by others, makes poor decisions regularly.  He seems to pass when he should hold the puck or shoot, and he seems to shoot when he should pass.  His no-look, lazy, behind-the-back passes are all too common.  I still have nightmare flashbacks to the one from the Kings game that gave Kopitar a breakaway in OT.

The stats for those interested:

Stafford 14-8-22  -5

Myers    5-12-17   +4

Armia    1-0-1      +1

Kane     8-5-13    -9

Bogosian  1-4-5   -8

I'm no longer counting on those two as pieces of the core (inner or outer) moving forward.  Their spots may need to be upgraded if the opportunity presents itself.

Whoops, I had Bogo's point total wrong. Still don't like those numbers.

You were essentially correct in that I'd personally take Myers stat line over Kane and Bogo's combined numbers.  Myers has 1 point less than Kane and Bogo combined, but is also a +4, while Kane/Bogo are a combined -17.

We should compare points per game not straight points I think. Doesn't change that Staff and Myers are performing better just is easier to compare.

For the interested

PPG on left, PP/60 on right:

Stafford: 0.55/1.8

Kane: 0.43/1.3

Myers: 0.43/1.1

Bogo: 0.22/0.6

Edited by IrwinNelson

We should compare points per game not straight points I think. Doesn't change that Staff and Myers are performing better just is easier to compare.

Points per game is useful too.  Thanks for posting those.  I think the fact that Stafford and Myers have played in all 40 games for the Jets is also another positive in their column, however.  Kane and Bogo have missed 27 games combined.

I can't wait until 11 finds out people are lamenting the loss of Stafford :lol:

I'm personally glad Stafford and Myers are gone.  I was hoping that their replacements would be more of an improvement, though.  And I'm realizing that this trade is not looking any better as time goes on, which I was once optimistic was going to be the case.

Points per game is useful too. Thanks for posting those. I think the fact that Stafford and Myers have played in all 40 games for the Jets is also another positive in their column, however. Kane and Bogo have missed 27 games combined.

I'm personally glad Stafford and Myers are gone. I was hoping that their replacements would be more of an improvement, though. And I'm realizing that this trade is not looking any better as time goes on, which I was once optimistic was going to be the case.

The Myers-Bogosian aspect is pretty much what was expected, I think. They both look like the same guys they've been for seven pro seasons.

Although I've been disappointed with Kane thus far, it's not like you were getting an unquestioned star for the likes of a Stafford rental, a likely bust in Armia, a likely bottom six player in Lemieux and a late 1st.

This whole thing could end up being a swing and a miss, but it's a swing I'd like to take every time it's available.

Points per game is useful too. Thanks for posting those. I think the fact that Stafford and Myers have played in all 40 games for the Jets is also another positive in their column, however. Kane and Bogo have missed 27 games combined.

I'm personally glad Stafford and Myers are gone. I was hoping that their replacements would be more of an improvement, though. And I'm realizing that this trade is not looking any better as time goes on, which I was once optimistic was going to be the case.

This trade helped bring us Jack Eichel. I'm ok if the pieces involved don't exactly match up. I still do hold out hope.