Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

I've come to realize: The fascination with how a trade is working out -- who's "winning" -- is one in which I am less and less interested as the Sabres continue to show signs of improvement.

That goes especially so for this one. Each team got some good players. And WPG got some prospects and a pick because they were giving up the most prized player in the deal. Fair play to both clubs.

We got a couple of players who can play a brand of hockey that GM TM values. It is apparent that GM TM did not value the way that Stafford and Myers play. For that alone, I have come to respect the man. He's said it as much as anyone will listen: He wants to build a team that plays heavy and possesses the puck. Neither Myers nor Stafford would have helped him achieve that goal (and, in fact, may have proven to be an active hindrance). God speed, sir.

I'm with Aud here. It seems as though GMTM has kind of made it clear to many that "winning" trades isn't how it works. How do the pieces fit and is your team in a place you want them to be after the trade?

Obviously there are still good and bad deals that GMs need to be judged on, but it's not so black and white as winning and losing.

I'm with Aud here. It seems as though GMTM has kind of made it clear to many that "winning" trades isn't how it works. How do the pieces fit and is your team in a place you want them to be after the trade?

Obviously there are still good and bad deals that GMs need to be judged on, but it's not so black and white as winning and losing.

I agree with the both of youze

Which, again, is very Imlach-esque. Punch's criteria on whether to make a trade was simple: is the team better after the trade than it was before. That philosophy, some astute drafting, and sharp eyes at the carnival wheel table had the Sabres an elite franchise through the better part of the '70's. (Never completed the journey, but d*mn, the ride was fun.)

Which, again, is very Imlach-esque. Punch's criteria on whether to make a trade was simple: is the team better after the trade than it was before. That philosophy, some astute drafting, and sharp eyes at the carnival wheel table had the Sabres an elite franchise through the better part of the '70's. (Never completed the journey, but d*mn, the ride was fun.)

Good perspective.

Darcy won trades at a decent rate, I think. His ability to build a team was far spottier.

I'd say Murray's trade philosophy so far has been pretty simple: target core players and pay the price it takes to add them.

It's always easier to add complementary pieces than core pieces.

It's worked for me in fantasy hockey... ;-)

Right, but you called Stafford useless, but he and Eichel put up the same numbers thus far.  So if you're calling Staff useless, it's analogous to calling Eichel useless.

I haven't been watching Winnipeg so I can't say if Stafford has been useless. I was reading comments from a Winnipeg board 

and some of them called him MIA. That sounded familiar.

Bowman always said, the team that gets the best player wins the trade. 

It turned out it wasn't Dale McCourt. :)

I haven't been watching Winnipeg so I can't say if Stafford has been useless. I was reading comments from a Winnipeg board 

and some of them called him MIA. That sounded familiar.

That's because he hasn't been putting up points recently. He has been asked to play on the checking line with a 22 year old 2nd year center and a 24 year old Russian that played two and a half years and then went to the KHL. I honestly think Staf has been one of the most consistent players and has played the role that the coach has asked him to play. Maurice mentioned the other day how happy he was with his play. Also, I am guessing that if a winger goes down to injury on the first two lines, Staf will fill in.

Myers, on the other hand, played really well last season and has sucked bag, in my opinion, this year. I mentioned on a local forum that if the Jets re-signed Buff and we traded a RHD, Myers should be the one traded. You would have thought that I said to trade our next ten years of 1st and 2nd round picks for D. Heatley! Maurice has played Myers and Trouba, 2 RHD, at the same time for two games now. I'd send Myers, a 1st rounder, Ladd and Armia to AZ for OEL. If OEL played in TO or NY, he would be a Norris winner by now.

It's not that Stafford's numbers this year are awful, it's that in his last 8 games his stat line reads:

0 Goals, 0 Assists, 0 Points, and minus-9.

He's in the middle of another one of his infamous disappearing acts. Typical Stafford.

It's not that Stafford's numbers this year are awful, it's that in his last 8 games his stat line reads:

0 Goals, 0 Assists, 0 Points, and minus-9.

He's in the middle of another one of his infamous disappearing acts. Typical Stafford.

And so it continues tonight. Bombed 7-0. Looks like the Staff infection has found his comfort zone. To be fair to Staff its not all on him. Myers has played a roll. :w00t:

That's because he hasn't been putting up points recently. He has been asked to play on the checking line with a 22 year old 2nd year center and a 24 year old Russian that played two and a half years and then went to the KHL. I honestly think Staf has been one of the most consistent players and has played the role that the coach has asked him to play. Maurice mentioned the other day how happy he was with his play. Also, I am guessing that if a winger goes down to injury on the first two lines, Staf will fill in.

Myers, on the other hand, played really well last season and has sucked bag, in my opinion, this year. I mentioned on a local forum that if the Jets re-signed Buff and we traded a RHD, Myers should be the one traded. You would have thought that I said to trade our next ten years of 1st and 2nd round picks for D. Heatley! Maurice has played Myers and Trouba, 2 RHD, at the same time for two games now. I'd send Myers, a 1st rounder, Ladd and Armia to AZ for OEL. If OEL played in TO or NY, he would be a Norris winner by now.

that trade-value for OEL is far of imo. OEL is a franchise-player, you don't get those kind of players for spare-parts. Another first rounder and then a more enticing prospect than Armia and then there would atleast be a conversation about it, but it probably wouldn't happen still.

I'm ready to trade the whole team minus some Blake Wheelers and Bryan Littles for OEL about now....how bad is your D when you have Mark Stuart and Adam Pardy starting against the Blues?

Averaging 18 points to show for 19 games in the Central division isn't going to cut the mustard.

I'm ready to trade the whole team minus some Blake Wheelers and Bryan Littles for OEL about now....how bad is your D when you have Mark Stuart and Adam Pardy starting against the Blues?

Averaging 18 points to show for 19 games in the Central division isn't going to cut the mustard.

I think your team would get home ice if they played in our division. The Central is just brutal. 

5 outta 8 will be from Central again these playoffs....Jets don't smarten up, they won't be participating.

Too many players not living up to expectations and I'll be the first to admit that Myers is one of them.

I'm okay with Staf's play this year and would say he is playing the best on his line...

I think your team would get home ice if they played in our division. The Central is just ###### brutal. 

No. The Jets have played 12/19 games this year outside of their division. In which they are 6-4-2. Better than their record in the central, but not outstanding. That's a 96 point pace which, while good, would get them a tie for 5th in the Atlantic last season.

5 outta 8 will be from Central again these playoffs....Jets don't smarten up, they won't be participating.

Too many players not living up to expectations and I'll be the first to admit that Myers is one of them.

I'm okay with Staf's play this year and would say he is playing the best on his line...

Stafford started out well, but from watching the games, he has disappeared. If a guy who, in his last 11 games, has mustered a grand total of 0 points and a whopping minus-12 is "best" at anything, things aren't looking so hot. I suppose that rings true in this case.

Hard to pinpoint exactly what is wrong with the Jets this year. From my perspective it seems like they have lost their identity somewhat. They were a very solid team last year. Their slide now has reached 6 straight losses. They seem to have introduced a bit of youth and a few other players that have taken them away from their hard hitting identity of last season.

I was at the Philly game in Winnipeg, and the Jets seemed like a completely different team from last season.

Edited by Thorny