Mike Richards anyone?

thewookie1

I say try it.  We cant get much worse.  The guy has more experience than most if not all of our players with the exception of Gionta.

If a change of scenery sparks better play out of him then it may cause contenders to notice.  You never know.  Cant get anywhere by being cautious.

Well if he doesnt clear waivers then we don't have to worry about his contract.  If he does clear we get a chance to see how he fits in with the organization.

Didn't stop us before (Leino).

As mentioned up-thread, if the Sabres were to claim him he'd be a cap-hit until 2021, even if he's in the AHL. Rigth now the Sabres have a bunch of room, but if things turn out well we might need that $5M to pay actual players.

Kings fans seem confused by the move. That this is being done to create a roster spot for a potential trade and that they plan to bring him back up after some time down in Manchester. 

No fan base would ever wildly speculate trade rumors based on innocuous personnel moves

GMTM should pick him up, then flip him at the deadline for picks, eating a large portion of his contract with Pegula-bucks and/or by taking on a bad contract from another team.

Teams like VAN and NSH need more depth at C for a playoff run.

He was waived. What makes you think he could be traded for picks? If VAN or NSH want him they could put in a claim.

Mike who?

Richards

Buffalo picks him up, then trades him with holding 50% of his cap thus making him a far more manageable cap hit at about 2.85mil

The problem with this is that we then have that 50% of his cap hit sitting on our books for the next 6 years. We don't need it now, but we may very well in 2019.

He's better than Hodgson and not much more expensive but he's also about 5 years older. If I wasn't afraid of the chance that he'd de-rail the tank enough to move us up from the bottom spot I'd be all in favor of picking him up. As it stands though I hope one of the other main bottom feeders (Edmonton, Carolina, or Phoenix) pick him up and he helps them win some games and give us some breathing room.

He has 6 years left? I thought he had 4, oh how I miss cap geek. Never mind then, that's a bit steep

6 years left counting this season so only 5 seasons left after April.

He's better than Hodgson and not much more expensive but he's also about 5 years older. If I wasn't afraid of the chance that he'd de-rail the tank enough to move us up from the bottom spot I'd be all in favor of picking him up. As it stands though I hope one of the other main bottom feeders (Edmonton, Carolina, or Phoenix) pick him up and he helps them win some games and give us some breathing room.

6 years left counting this season so only 5 seasons left after April.

Better than Hodgson. I like that rationale.

Edmonton would actually make sense for a veteran center who would be surrounded by offensive talent. The Oil then maybe makes a trade with a younger guy, improves their team (hopefully) and we all win.

Yeah, it's amazing how Derek Roy has improved that team in the short term. However, I think that cap hit and term are really scaring away anyone. It reminds me of the Gomez and Redden situations a few years back. With the salary cap those contract albatrosses aren't nearly as appealing as they used to be, regardless of the players talent.

Sounds like he cleared.

Crazy stuff. I imagine LA will send him to the AHL then recall him for the playoffs and try to move him in the offseason. To move him they'll either agree to retain a portion of his salary and cap hit to trade him or trade him as a negative value (like Richards and a 6th rounder for a 7th rounder or something along those lines).

They won't get much cap relief at all though. From what I've read this move only saves them the pro-rated percentage of $925,000 but they also have to call someone up to replace him which should eat most of that even if it's a player on an ELC.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.