Mike Richards anyone?

thewookie1

GMTM should pick him up, then flip him at the deadline for picks, eating a large portion of his contract with Pegula-bucks and/or by taking on a bad contract from another team.

Teams like VAN and NSH need more depth at C for a playoff run.

GMTM should pick him up, then flip him at the deadline for picks, eating a large portion of his contract with Pegula-bucks and/or by taking on a bad contract from another team.

But LA tried to trade him and couldn't what would allow GMTM too?

GMTM has cap space (and pegula-bucks) to eat a large portion of Richards contract.... and/or take on a bad contract from another team.   LA doesn't have the cap room to make those moves.

That said, it only makes sense if you can get something worthwhile in return... a 2nd round pick or prospect and a bad contract? 

Edited by pi2000

GMTM has cap space (and pegula-bucks) to eat a large portion of Richards contract.... and/or take on a bad contract from another team.   LA doesn't have the cap room to make those moves.

He could take 50% of the contract but the cap hit remains the same.  Am I right about that? If you retain salary the cap hit stays the same regardless.

EDIT: Okay looked it up, so you retain the cap hit based on the % of Salary you retain.  That could make Richards slightly easier to trade. Thing being you can also only have 3 salary retentions on your books at a time.

Edited by LGR4GM

He could take 50% of the contract but the cap hit remains the same.  Am I right about that? If you retain salary the cap hit stays the same regardless.

I thought the cap hit stay with the trading team in proportion. So if the Sabres trade him away and retain $2M of his salary, they have a $2M cap hit until 2021.

I thought the cap hit stay with the trading team in proportion. So if the Sabres trade him away and retain $2M of his salary, they have a $2M cap hit until 2021.

It sounds like it is based off of the percentage. You retain 50% of the Salary you also take on 50% of the cap hit.

I have little interest in Richards and I think teams like Vancouver and Nashville can find better options for less.

I say try it.  We cant get much worse.  The guy has more experience than most if not all of our players with the exception of Gionta.

If a change of scenery sparks better play out of him then it may cause contenders to notice.  You never know.  Cant get anywhere by being cautious.

He'd have to clear waivers.

Well if he doesnt clear waivers then we don't have to worry about his contract.  If he does clear we get a chance to see how he fits in with the organization.

The Sabres don't need somebody else's problems. He brings nothing to the table. 

Didn't stop us before (Leino).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.