Zadorov suspended (Sabres Twitter)

PASabreFan

Zemgus was born mature.  He came out fully grown with a beard, wrapped in a bear pelt, calmly drinking vodka out of a broken bottle.  He is the sole reason Putin doesn't invade Latvia.  

He would single handedly defeat them all with a potato gun. 

If you say his name 3 times really fast he'll appear. 

So uh no ones been late before to a job? Or got stuck somewhere when traveling? Is that maturity or accidents? Is two times being late a pattern without knowing much at all?

Your argument is completely invalid.  The vast majority of our professions do not operate the same way.  It's not about being late.  It's about not being on time for a meeting when important information will be discussed related to the upcoming opponent.  Perhaps in that situation it would most resemble me being late to a prep meeting for my senior management when they would be meeting on a high value deal in just a few hours.  The time does not get made up and there are other things to do.  So, if I show up late to that meeting I'm betting my ass is on the line.  I do it twice the odds are good I am unemployed.

You want to dismiss all of these incidents.  He's 19.  Well, strangely enough there are a lot of 19 year old athletes that don't get suspended.  In fact, I would say the vast majority of them.  So, the sample size is pretty large.  Immaturity is one thing but those are want to succeed know that you show up when you are supposed to show up.  If his thought processes are such that he wants to push things to the limit that's fine.  It probably helps make him a different kind of player but it also means that there is zero room for error and when an error occurs you pay the price.

Zadarov seems to think that he can just show up and play the game.  It doesn't work that way.  He might learn, he might not.  But right now he is showing a pattern where he doesn't seem to care enough to improve.

Am I concerned about it? Nope.  I don't really care but if I was on his team I would have chewed his ass out up and down and I wouldn't think highly of him.  He's putting himself before the team and that's a huge issue.

Edited by LTS

He would single handedly defeat them all with a potato gun. 

If you say his name 3 times really fast he'll appear. 

But he will be angry because you have taken him away from his time that would be better spent on the annihilation of his enemies. You don't want an angry Zemgus.

Zemgus was born mature.  He came out fully grown with a beard, wrapped in a bear pelt, calmly drinking vodka out of a broken bottle.  He is the sole reason Putin doesn't invade Latvia.  

If this imagery were an oil painting, I would build a fireplace just so I could hang it above the mantle. 

But he will be angry because you have taken him away from his time that would be better spent on the annihilation of his enemies. You don't want an angry Zemgus.

If this imagery were an oil painting, I would build a fireplace just so I could hang it above the mantle. 

It could be Josie's next masterpiece. As long as she doesn't go on a killing spree at work first...

Your argument is completely invalid.  The vast majority of our professions do not operate the same way.  It's not about being late.  It's about not being on time for a meeting when important information will be discussed related to the upcoming opponent.  Perhaps in that situation it would most resemble me being late to a prep meeting for my senior management when they would be meeting on a high value deal in just a few hours.  The time does not get made up and there are other things to do.  So, if I show up late to that meeting I'm betting my ass is on the line.  I do it twice the odds are good I am unemployed.

You want to dismiss all of these incidents.  He's 19.  Well, strangely enough there are a lot of 19 year old athletes that don't get suspended.  In fact, I would say the vast majority of them.  So, the sample size is pretty large.  Immaturity is one thing but those are want to succeed know that you show up when you are supposed to show up.  If his thought processes are such that he wants to push things to the limit that's fine.  It probably helps make him a different kind of player but it also means that there is zero room for error and when an error occurs you pay the price.

Zadarov seems to think that he can just show up and play the game.  It doesn't work that way.  He might learn, he might not.  But right now he is showing a pattern where he doesn't seem to care enough to improve.

Am I concerned about it? Nope.  I don't really care but if I was on his team I would have chewed his ass out up and down and I wouldn't think highly of him.  He's putting himself before the team and that's a huge issue.

There's only a handful of under 20 kids who play regularly in any given season. 

It looks really bad on him to have two incidents in such a short time. But A LOT of incidents happen with younger players and don't make it into the news,  but the team is aware. 

You're being pretty hard on the kid who is only 19 and playing in the best league in the world. None of us know what it like and none of our jobs are similar. 

Liger can Eichel really bench 325?

I had to dig up the report... he benched 250lbs and was squating in the 320 range, so I apologize for miss-remembering. The story is from October so who knows what he is doing now.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11781309/2014-15-nhl-season-touted-prospect-jack-eichel-boston-university-lava-lamp

On the latest round of strength testing, he front-squatted 320 pounds, cleaned 335 pounds, had a close-grip bench press of 250 pounds, a pull-up max of 25 reps, and body fat percentage of 6.3 percent.

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

Liger can Eichel really bench 325?

I had to dig up the report... he benched 250lbs and was squating in the 320 range, so I apologize for miss-remembering. The story is from October so who knows what he is doing now.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11781309/2014-15-nhl-season-touted-prospect-jack-eichel-boston-university-lava-lamp

Jesus - if the guy was benching 325, that would have been sort of insane.

There's only a handful of under 20 kids who play regularly in any given season. 

It looks really bad on him to have two incidents in such a short time. But A LOT of incidents happen with younger players and don't make it into the news,  but the team is aware. 

You're being pretty hard on the kid who is only 19 and playing in the best league in the world. None of us know what it like and none of our jobs are similar. 

There are kids in college playing sports at a high level that routinely show up for their meetings.  I am not responding to only 19 year old athletes in the NHL.  

As to not knowing what needs to be done I completely disagree.  He gets paid a lot of money to play hockey.  So much money that many of the day to day concerns that people like us have to account for do not apply to him.  He has responsibilities and being responsible is something everyone should be capable of doing AND should do.  I have a lot of requirements made upon me on a day to day basis and I pride myself on meeting those requirements.  It's not being hard on him.  It's being real.  Why is it okay to lower a level of expectation of commitment?  Why should anyone?  I didn't speak up too much when he missed a flight.

His alarm clock doesn't go off and everyone's got their panties in a bunch over it.

Helpful.  I think questioning his commitment to his teammates is warranted here.  As for who has what in a bunch, I would suggest that perhaps we engage in a conversation to improve understanding as opposed to speaking of undergarment problems and making sweeping generalizations as to how this impacts people.  Perhaps you aren't referring to me in your comment, but given that I am speaking of this as being a problem it is easy for me to feel that you are addressing me with that comment (among others).

As I said, for me, I don't care about his problems.  It's his teammates who are impacted.  

As a coach of children I routinely enforce the concept of team and that when one player makes a mistake related to the team it impacts more than just them.  We had a kid the other day forget his hockey pants before a quarter-final playoff game.  He was joking around about it as though it was no big deal.  The leaders on the team set him straight very fast.  I don't force kids to make choices on what they want to do and choose to do.  I merely enforce that all decisions come with consequences.  So when kids choose to miss practice for some other reason that's their decision.  However, quantitatively, they are choosing to not be as committed to the team as someone else might be.  They are missing out on coaching opportunities and opportunities to improve their skills.  They are negatively impacting the team through that decision.  It is what it is but the reality doesn't change.

In this situation the team suspended him and rightfully so.  It's his second suspension this season for non-hockey offenses. How many players get suspended in a season for one non-hockey offense, let alone two?  How many players in any league have that happen?

So, you think that's funny Mr. Smarty Pants.

Well, you are now known as ...

Вудс-гонщик

Thought for sure you where giving me a name from a history book, maybe a Senator from the 1950's from Wisconsin, as you seem well versed in these things... and love to fun with history...

But all my friends just call me ...  гонщик           ;)

There are kids in college playing sports at a high level that routinely show up for their meetings.  I am not responding to only 19 year old athletes in the NHL.  

As to not knowing what needs to be done I completely disagree.  He gets paid a lot of money to play hockey.  So much money that many of the day to day concerns that people like us have to account for do not apply to him.  He has responsibilities and being responsible is something everyone should be capable of doing AND should do.  I have a lot of requirements made upon me on a day to day basis and I pride myself on meeting those requirements.  It's not being hard on him.  It's being real.  Why is it okay to lower a level of expectation of commitment?  Why should anyone?  I didn't speak up too much when he missed a flight.

Helpful.  I think questioning his commitment to his teammates is warranted here.  As for who has what in a bunch, I would suggest that perhaps we engage in a conversation to improve understanding as opposed to speaking of undergarment problems and making sweeping generalizations as to how this impacts people.  Perhaps you aren't referring to me in your comment, but given that I am speaking of this as being a problem it is easy for me to feel that you are addressing me with that comment (among others).

As I said, for me, I don't care about his problems.  It's his teammates who are impacted.  

As a coach of children I routinely enforce the concept of team and that when one player makes a mistake related to the team it impacts more than just them.  We had a kid the other day forget his hockey pants before a quarter-final playoff game.  He was joking around about it as though it was no big deal.  The leaders on the team set him straight very fast.  I don't force kids to make choices on what they want to do and choose to do.  I merely enforce that all decisions come with consequences.  So when kids choose to miss practice for some other reason that's their decision.  However, quantitatively, they are choosing to not be as committed to the team as someone else might be.  They are missing out on coaching opportunities and opportunities to improve their skills.  They are negatively impacting the team through that decision.  It is what it is but the reality doesn't change.

In this situation the team suspended him and rightfully so.  It's his second suspension this season for non-hockey offenses. How many players get suspended in a season for one non-hockey offense, let alone two?  How many players in any league have that happen?

These are fair points.

Let's hope he turns it around.

1) If we're going to generalize to an entire group, let's not wax poetic about college athletes, many of whom take every shortcut in the book academically.

2) I think there's a gigantic logical leap from "late to a meeting" to "not committed to the team." If Zadorov were completely blowing off meetings and practices, that would speak to commitment. But being a little late a couple of time? That speaks to maturity.

Edit: I'm also fairly confident he wasn't actually suspended this time. I think it's important to distinguish actions which earn a coach-imposed benching and actions which result in a team-imposed suspension.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.