Zadorov suspended (Sabres Twitter)

PASabreFan

I think PA started it in response to Olesha, and it kind of took off.  I am not certain.

Fookin' PA. I shoulda known.

There are kids in college playing sports at a high level that routinely show up for their meetings.  I am not responding to only 19 year old athletes in the NHL.  

<snip>

I think questioning his commitment to his teammates is warranted here.

As a coach of children I routinely enforce the concept of team and that when one player makes a mistake related to the team it impacts more than just them. We had a kid the other day forget his hockey pants before a quarter-final playoff game.  He was joking around about it as though it was no big deal.  

Dude. Like, chill. A little bit.

He's acted like an over-entitled knucklehead in a few instances. From what I read, he was super contrite about the incident and felt really badly.

In terms of how he plays, what he can do, and how he appears to act and interact "in the room," it is all good (and apt to improve) from what I can see.

For the record, he expressed remorse and apologized to the team.

“I feel sorry that it happened. It was 100 percent my mistake, no excuses, I can’t do that,” Zadorov said. “I spoke with the team and said ‘I’m sorry boys, and I don’t want to lose your trust.’ It’s all about the team, and I just want to get back as soon as I can and help my team.”

During an appearance on Hockey Hotline this morning, Sabres general manager Tim Murray also spoke of his hopes that the rookie can learn from the situation and move on.

“I had a talk with Nikita this morning. Well, I did all the talking and he didn’t talk,” Murray said. “Hopefully the problem is rectified and we can move forward.”

Minor incident handled appropriately.

A concern only in the context of an emerging pattern.

I think we all know guys like Nikita, people with great personalities and basically good hearts who have so much going for them their indiscretions are quickly forgiven and they never really had to worry too much about anything.

Most of them mature eventually if managed/coached/parented properly.

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

His alarm clock doesn't go off and everyone's got their panties in a bunch over it.

I think it has more to do with the timing of it. No pun intended.

My kid plays HS baseball. He is 16. What he has to go through everyday is amazing. Example: school starts at 7 ends at 1:55. On game day he is back at 4 for meetings. 5:00 is field prep. 5:45 to 7 is pregame warmup. Game is 7-9:15ish. After game they must rake the field and put down tarps. Usually home by 10. Then homework and off to bed.

Next day is pretty much identical. If they are late to anything they run 10 poles as a team. This goes for any player. A player gets two chances. Third time he gets two game suspension. There is no 4th time.

Nikita needs to get his ass out of bed. My son and every other kid just like him don't get paid.

I think it has more to do with the timing of it. No pun intended.

My kid plays HS baseball. He is 16. What he has to go through everyday is amazing. Example: school starts at 7 ends at 1:55. On game day he is back at 4 for meetings. 5:00 is field prep. 5:45 to 7 is pregame warmup. Game is 7-9:15ish. After game they must rake the field and put down tarps. Usually home by 10. Then homework and off to bed.

Next day is pretty much identical. If they are late to anything they run 10 poles as a team. This goes for any player. A player gets two chances. Third time he gets two game suspension. There is no 4th time.

Nikita needs to get his ass out of bed. My son and every other kid just like him don't get paid.

But that's the thing: your son and "every other kid" aren't just like him. Does your son come from a foreign culture, have to speak his second language, and get a guaranteed million dollar income? You, nor anybody else, has any idea how a particular kid would behave in similar circumstances. I'm sorry, but the "normal" comparisons you and others are trying to make here aren't particularly relevant. 

PS: I played plenty of sports growing up, and there were more than a few kids who routinely broke rules or weren't perfectly mature. Let's stop pretending that Zadorov is doing something no other kid does.

I think we all know guys like Nikita, people with great personalities and basically good hearts who have so much going for them their indiscretions are quickly forgiven and they never really had to worry too much about anything.

Could you imagine the pant-sh*tting that would be going on if Zadorov played in Toronto?

But that's the thing: your son and "every other kid" aren't just like him. Does your son come from a foreign culture, have to speak his second language, and get a guaranteed million dollar income? You, nor anybody else, has any idea how a particular kid would behave in similar circumstances. I'm sorry, but the "normal" comparisons you and others are trying to make here aren't particularly relevant.

PS: I played plenty of sports growing up, and there were more than a few kids who routinely broke rules or weren't perfectly mature. Let's stop pretending that Zadorov is doing something no other kid does.

We all look at things differently. Time will tell I guess.

Zemgus was born mature.  He came out fully grown with a beard, wrapped in a bear pelt, calmly drinking vodka out of a broken bottle.  He is the sole reason Putin doesn't invade Latvia.

Ehhhhh.... time for a new sig. Thanks Liger.

If you say his name 3 times really fast he'll appear.

Zemgus is a State Farm agent?

So uh no ones been late before to a job? Or got stuck somewhere when traveling? Is that maturity or accidents? Is two times being late a pattern without knowing much at all?

Your argument is completely invalid.  The vast majority of our professions do not operate the same way.

True. I know someone who worked for an ambulance company. Late once? 1 week suspension. Late twice? Fired. (He got fired.)

Your argument is completely invalid.  The vast majority of our professions do not operate the same way.  It's not about being late.  It's about not being on time for a meeting when important information will be discussed related to the upcoming opponent.  Perhaps in that situation it would most resemble me being late to a prep meeting for my senior management when they would be meeting on a high value deal in just a few hours.  The time does not get made up and there are other things to do.  So, if I show up late to that meeting I'm betting my ass is on the line.  I do it twice the odds are good I am unemployed.

My argument that we don't know of the facts and therefore not even sure it is immaturity is completely invalid?  And I actually think this was a pretty normal meeting in his profession.  I wasnt analogizing his job to our jobs, so not sure what you are getting at.  I stated that we've all done these things in the past, and that it isn't necessarily immaturity.  Immaturity refers to things you do that you won't when you mature.  Getting your flight bumped and oversleeping once don't qualify in my book

You want to dismiss all of these incidents.  He's 19.  Well, strangely enough there are a lot of 19 year old athletes that don't get suspended.  In fact, I would say the vast majority of them.  So, the sample size is pretty large.  

The sample size of 19 year old athletes is huge?  I think it is the exact opposite.  And two, I don't think he was suspended this time.  

Immaturity is one thing but those are want to succeed know that you show up when you are supposed to show up.  If his thought processes are such that he wants to push things to the limit that's fine.  It probably helps make him a different kind of player but it also means that there is zero room for error and when an error occurs you pay the price.

Zadarov seems to think that he can just show up and play the game.  It doesn't work that way.  He might learn, he might not.  But right now he is showing a pattern where he doesn't seem to care enough to improve.

Again, how do you or anyone know that.  He has been late twice.  One was for his flight being bumped, and no one knows the reason for this one other than rumors he overslept.  So someone had their flight bumped, and overslept one time.  And you are going to generalize that to everything you just typed and tell me my entire argument is invalid?  Guess what, I'v overslept one time in the past few years.  And no, its not immaturity.  It's my body physically didn't wake up.  And guess what, I got stranded when flying into the country last year.  Guess what that wasn't immaturity.  

Edited by Vlad Dangerslakov

I think seeing GMTM a read the riot act to Nikita would've been more entertaining than any Sabres game in 4 years.

My 2 cents: he needs to do better than this. Everyone on the team needs to take his job seriously. OTOH, there are many worse things he could've done and if it doesn't happen again there is no issue.

I'm not that worried about it.  I bet that when he was late after the break they just told him - no more leniency.  So he was late, and they had to do it.

Agreed, except...

... handled appropriately in the sense that it was right to suspend him, but stupid for Nolan to not say why yesterday. The story almost always comes out (fairly quickly, in this case), and to not say why and be non-committal on whether it's a one-game suspension or more just leads to unnecessary speculation.

Zadorov was late. Nolan benched him. Murray addressed him. The team, he apologized to them.  I think we are done here.

I hope so. As someone who also requires multiple alarms in the morning and is often late, I somewhat sympathisize with Zads. That being said, I have the luxury of a more flexible schedule and rules are rules... I would expect to face punishment if I were late to important work-related events as well.

I think seeing GMTM a read the riot act to Nikita would've been more entertaining than any Sabres game in 4 years.

My 2 cents: he needs to do better than this. Everyone on the team needs to take his job seriously. OTOH, there are many worse things he could've done and if it doesn't happen again there is no issue.

Also agreed. Do you think GMTM broke his poker face, though? I just can't picture him any other way, lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.