Zadorov suspended (Sabres Twitter)

PASabreFan

biodork, on 24 Feb 2015 - 12:18 AM, said:

I hope so. As someone who also requires multiple alarms in the morning and is often late, I somewhat sympathisize with Zads. That being said, I have the luxury of a more flexible schedule and rules are rules... I would expect to face punishment if I were late to important work-related events as well.

This is me.  At 19, holy moly, I could not get up before 10 am to save my life, and I was poor and had awful paying, boring jobs.  I am an evening person through and through.  I simply can't think that this is any more of an issue than being young and foolish.  The dude will be late to practice again.  How late is late for these guys?  It's kind of ridiculous when they play games later in the evening, and then travel into the night, to get all hung up on being late for an 8 am fricking team meeting once in a while.

This is me.  At 19, holy moly, I could not get up before 10 am to save my life, and I was poor and had awful paying, boring jobs.  I am an evening person through and through.  I simply can't think that this is any more of an issue than being young and foolish.  The dude will be late to practice again.  How late is late for these guys?  It's kind of ridiculous when they play games later in the evening, and then travel into the night, to get all hung up on being late for an 8 am fricking team meeting once in a while.

Good question... the games certainly lend themselves to a later schedule, so I know I'd have a tough time doing early morning meetings the day or so after. If only the restaurant industry paid better... that schedule was perfect for me (4pm-midnight). I am not intelligent at 9am.

Night owls unite!

:lol:

I'm curious what his living situation is. It's the norm for players his age to live together so usually they've got buddies to help make sure things like this don't happen. But I get the feeling Zads is a 19 year old kid from Russia living on his own.

Is the girlfriend living with him?

Is the girlfriend living with him?

According to this article from December, yes.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2014/12/27/fun-loving-zadorov-developing-steadily/

Although I think this is the more interesting tidbit:

You understand his appetite when you learn his backstory, how he often skipped school in Moscow to practice on his own, how he was spared discipline from his grade-school teachers who knew they couldn’t stop him. He was obsessed with hockey while growing up in an upper middle-class family in post-Cold War Russia.

I get the feeling he was allowed free range by authority figures as long as he was working hard at hockey. It might be as simple as he doesn't think the other stuff like meetings are important as long as he shows up to practice and works hard during games.

He's going to have to learn that everything is important now. Apparently exceptions were made for him in the past.

According to this article from December, yes.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2014/12/27/fun-loving-zadorov-developing-steadily/

Although I think this is the more interesting tidbit:

I get the feeling he was allowed free range by authority figures as long as he was working hard at hockey. It might be as simple as he doesn't think the other stuff like meetings are important as long as he shows up to practice and works hard during games.

He's going to have to learn that everything is important now. Apparently exceptions were made for him in the past.

Good stuff.

I'm just not worried about this dumb sh!t stuff. It is dumb, and it needs to get sorted out in due time. But he's got a promising game (with hah-yooj upside) and an engaging personality. It's not like he's getting in trouble for things that are indicative of him being a bad guy. 

Good stuff.

I'm just not worried about this dumb sh!t stuff. It is dumb, and it needs to get sorted out in due time. But he's got a promising game (with hah-yooj upside) and an engaging personality. It's not like he's getting in trouble for things that are indicative of him being a bad guy.

Nope, he's just a kid who needs to learn his role. He'll get there.

Word on the street is that Zads has been slipping on the homefront too. He apparently left the seat up and didn't replace the toilet paper roll. Now if my wifes reaction to these types of transgressions is any indication this could be very worrisome for the young Russian. And I'm not even a professional.

Word on the street is that Zads has been slipping on the homefront too. He apparently left the seat up and didn't replace the toilet paper roll. Now if my wifes reaction to these types of transgressions is any indication this could be very worrisome for the young Russian. And I'm not even a professional.

Oh, God.

All is lost.

The thread on the HockeyWives Board about this is already 13 pages long.

I make my own hours too. I'd rather get up at 6 and be home by 5 rather than sleep until 8 and get home at 7.

I'm fairly certain I have at least some mild undiagnosed AADD and I get really easily distracted with constant bustling around in the morning and afternoon. My best and most focused work comes at night. If I got into work early every morning I'd probably still have to stay into the night just because many of those hours would be fairly unproductive.

I don't know how y'all night owls and non morning people function in the real world. I laugh at my coworkers that show up to work at 9 am. I've already got 3 hours in the bank.

Ha - in my book, 9am is still early! When I don't have lab meeting I roll in between 10 and 11am. I'm up until 1am most nights, so getting up before 8am is painful. I'll do it when necessary, but most of what I do can be done on my own schedule so I'd rather be there until 7pm than get in at 8-9am.

I'm fairly certain I have at least some mild undiagnosed AADD and I get really easily distracted with constant bustling around in the morning and afternoon. My best and most focused work comes at night. If I got into work early every morning I'd probably still have to stay into the night just because many of those hours would be fairly unproductive.

This, too... I'm far more productive after 4-5pm when everyone else starts heading out.

Ha - in my book, 9am is still early! When I don't have lab meeting I roll in between 10 and 11am. I'm up until 1am most nights, so getting up before 8am is painful. I'll do it when necessary, but most of what I do can be done on my own schedule so I'd rather be there until 7pm than get in at 8-9am.

Up until very recently, I was up until 12:30-1am every night and up at 6. After my son was born that has changed. I'm in bed by 11:30 every night now.

Up until very recently, I was up until 12:30-1am every night and up at 6. After my son was born that has changed. I'm in bed by 11:30 every night now.

This is pretty typical for me.

How?! How do you function when regularly getting 5 hours of sleep?? I've certainly done it for long stretches when necessary, but to choose that schedule? No way.

How?! How do you function when regularly getting 5 hours of sleep?? I've certainly done it for long stretches when necessary, but to choose that schedule? No way.

I get up at 5:45. Family time in the evenings, then another 3-4 hours of work between 8:30-12:30.

I'll sleep when I'm dead.

There are kids in college playing sports at a high level that routinely show up for their meetings.  I am not responding to only 19 year old athletes in the NHL.  

As to not knowing what needs to be done I completely disagree.  He gets paid a lot of money to play hockey.  So much money that many of the day to day concerns that people like us have to account for do not apply to him.  He has responsibilities and being responsible is something everyone should be capable of doing AND should do.  I have a lot of requirements made upon me on a day to day basis and I pride myself on meeting those requirements.  It's not being hard on him.  It's being real.  Why is it okay to lower a level of expectation of commitment?  Why should anyone?  I didn't speak up too much when he missed a flight.

Helpful.  I think questioning his commitment to his teammates is warranted here.  As for who has what in a bunch, I would suggest that perhaps we engage in a conversation to improve understanding as opposed to speaking of undergarment problems and making sweeping generalizations as to how this impacts people.  Perhaps you aren't referring to me in your comment, but given that I am speaking of this as being a problem it is easy for me to feel that you are addressing me with that comment (among others).

As I said, for me, I don't care about his problems.  It's his teammates who are impacted.  

As a coach of children I routinely enforce the concept of team and that when one player makes a mistake related to the team it impacts more than just them.  We had a kid the other day forget his hockey pants before a quarter-final playoff game.  He was joking around about it as though it was no big deal.  The leaders on the team set him straight very fast.  I don't force kids to make choices on what they want to do and choose to do.  I merely enforce that all decisions come with consequences.  So when kids choose to miss practice for some other reason that's their decision.  However, quantitatively, they are choosing to not be as committed to the team as someone else might be.  They are missing out on coaching opportunities and opportunities to improve their skills.  They are negatively impacting the team through that decision.  It is what it is but the reality doesn't change.

In this situation the team suspended him and rightfully so.  It's his second suspension this season for non-hockey offenses. How many players get suspended in a season for one non-hockey offense, let alone two?  How many players in any league have that happen?

I played NCAA and lots of 19 year olds miss or are late to meetings, but it's not always news or results in a suspension. It's life.  19 year olds arent perfect at anything and any NHL GM will tell you that.  

No one is saying what he did is right or should be left un-addressed, but hes a kid and has a lot to learn. 

I don't know how they do it. When d4rk's not around, I tend to be up till 2 and up at 730/8 to try to handle my ever complicating to-do list and then can barely drag through the day. Only my second week of this and I am really cracking around the edges. I keep telling my stupid brain and body it'll adapt but it's not listening. It likes its 8-9 hours. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.