Cody McCormick in the hospital with a blood clot

Hoss

If it's his first one he will need to be on blood thinners for three to six months. They will consider placing a filter in his inferior vena cava to prevent this one or any future clots from traveling to his lungs and causing a pulmonary embolism.

Either way it appears his season is over.

If it's his first one he will need to be on blood thinners for three to six months. They will consider placing a filter in his inferior vena cava to prevent this one or any future clots from traveling to his lungs and causing a pulmonary embolism.

Either way it appears his season is over.

Hell, his career may be as well though the Sabres may just keep him on LTIR until his contract runs out to see if he can make it back.

Poor Cody... guy just can't seem to stay healthy anymore. :(

I wonder how they even found it?

He likely felt a lot of pinching and "stabbing" sensations in the area. My family has "factor five" which is a blood condition that causes a lot of clotting, so I have heard the many many signs and results of clotting.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/01/11/sabres-mccormick-hospitalized-blood-clot-leg-indefinitely/

Sabres center Cody McCormick is in a Buffalo hospital with a blood clot in his leg, coach Ted Nolan said Sunday, and the 31-year-old will be out indefinitely.

"McCormick had a situation where he felt something, the medical staff looked at him and he went to the hospital yesterday," Nolan said in First Niagara Center. "He has a blood clot in his calf muscle, so he’s at the hospital now.

"We’re just kind of glad we caught it, and he’s getting medical care right now. ... I’m quite sure it’s somewhat serious if he’s still in the hospital."

He likely felt a lot of pinching and "stabbing" sensations in the area. My family has "factor five" which is a blood condition that causes a lot of clotting, so I have heard the many many signs and results of clotting.

Yikes, man.

Blood clots in young athletes are curious. I'm not a doctor. Family history?

Most likely, they should do genetic testing for conditions that cause clots

Poor Cody... guy just can't seem to stay healthy anymore. :(

I wonder how they even found it?

Unilateral swelling, pain, tenderness in the affected leg are the common symptoms. Plus the Team Doctor is really good

I didn't expect doctors to chime in, but I am shocked no one else knew this...

http://www.thedailyj...clots/17058371/

You get hit by a puck, in an unprotected area, like the back of a calf, you break blood vessels and the area bruises. That's the beginning of the process -- Deep Vein Thrombosis -- and an unfortunate side effect could be a clot. Be careful if you get a deep bruise. I am not trying to make everyone paranoid the next time they get a bruise, but if you take a 100mph puck or ball to an unprotected area of your body, monitor it closely.

I learned of this from my lacrosse days. Being big and macho and stopping a lacrosse ball with minimal padding is not good for the body. I am still very surprised lacrosse goalies do not have more padding.

Edited by SabresFanInRochester

I didn't expect doctors to chime in, but I am shocked no one else knew this...

http://www.thedailyj...clots/17058371/

You get hit by a puck, in an unprotected area, like the back of a calf, you break blood vessels and the area bruises. That's the beginning of the process -- Deep Vein Thrombosis -- and an unfortunate side effect could be a clot. Be careful if you get a deep bruise. I am not trying to make everyone paranoid the next time they get a bruise, but if you take a 100mph puck or ball to an unprotected area of your body, monitor it closely.

I learned of this from my lacrosse days. Being big and macho and stopping a lacrosse ball with minimal padding is not good for the body. I am still very surprised lacrosse goals do not have more padding.

Good find... I'd never heard that before.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.