Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

All this Bradford to Bills talk is total BS just in case anyone is wondering.....

I know they are just wild speculation at this point, but of all the QB options out there, I think that Bradford would be the only one that would be an upgrade from EJ. The rest of them are either career journeyman or unrealistic from an acquisition standpoint.

Which sucks... Whaley saying the trade market isn't a viable option to acquire a QB is a ###### shame and a disappointment. Ugh.

His logic is sound. If Bradford is as good as many here seem to feel, why would the Rams move him and be in the position the Bills are in? I don't see much incentive for the Rams there. If they do move him, I think that should raise questions more than cause celebration.

I know they are just wild speculation at this point, but of all the QB options out there, I think that Bradford would be the only one that would be an upgrade from EJ. The rest of them are either career journeyman or unrealistic from an acquisition standpoint.

I guess I must be seeing a different QB thank seemingly everybody else. I understood the hype around Bradford coming out of college, but his pro career has been nothing but a bitter disappointment. I just don't see how anyone could still be excited about him.

My brother-in-law, who is a huge Bears fan, actually had good things to say about the guy.

I remain pessimistic about it.

His partial season in Chicago is probably the only good thing he has done in his career. But whatever, it doesn't matter much, all of the option out there are bad.

To me all the options out there are basically the same guy. Just an average QB. Hopefully EJ shocks us all..

Calling the options average is an insult to the average QBs out there :p

Would rather have Sanchez than McCown... This season will essentially be a throwaway with the caveat that a prayer at the QB position could change that.

So you honestly think it matters who they signed to compete? Sanchez, McCown, Locker, Glennon, whoever...bad, bad, bad, bad and bad. The only hope was and is that we can ride an elite defense and rebuild the running game.

So you honestly think it matters who they signed to compete? Sanchez, McCown, Locker, Glennon, whoever...bad, bad, bad, bad and bad. The only hope was and is that we can ride an elite defense and rebuild the running game.

I don't think it matters, no. I think Sanchez at least has the ability to be a starter but not the mind. If he gets the mind right then you hit the bargain bin jackpot. McCown is just meh. 35 and a known commodity. I'll be pulling for EJ if McCown is the only real competition. But get ready for this conversation again next offseason if McCown is all we get (or really any free agent). There's some long-term potential to a guy like Glennon or Cousins (along with EJ despite my doubts). A trade for Cutler gives you your guy for a couple of years unless his meltdown gets worse. Bradford could give you a long-term answer if he finally stays healthy.

To me this is just in line with what Whaley has been saying. He specifically mentioned he wanted "a veteran and a developing young player". Whether the veteran or the developing player is the starter is irrelevant. Now we at least aren't totally screwed if the starter goes down in week 2.

I still think they are looking for the starter for next year, this is just an insurance signing.

EJ more than likely will start

Let's hope he learned more than how to put a good lip in from Orton.

Does anyone believe Manuel will be significantly improved after watching a season, and with a new OC/HC? I don't mean Pro-Bowl level, but slightly above average maybe?

Let's hope he learned more than how to put a good lip in from Orton.

Does anyone believe Manuel will be significantly improved after watching a season, and with a new OC/HC? I don't mean Pro-Bowl level, but slightly above average maybe?

short of trading for Bradford, EJ is the Bills best hope for competent QB play in 2015.

McCown seems an awful lot like Orton to me. 

Do any Whaley supporters think he's done a good job at the QB position -- i.e. by far the most important position in the game?  FFS, he didn't even bother bringing in Orton until 10 days before the season started last year -- he thought he was all set with EJ and Tuel.

Also, in Whaley's interview with WGR last week, he mentioned that Overdorf is still in charge of negotiating contracts.

I'll say it again:  each of these bozos should've been sent packing.

Do any Whaley supporters think he's done a good job at the QB position -- i.e. by far the most important position in the game?  FFS, he didn't even bother bringing in Orton until 10 days before the season started last year -- he thought he was all set with EJ and Tuel.

Also, in Whaley's interview with WGR last week, he mentioned that Overdorf is still in charge of negotiating contracts.

I'm not happy about bringing in McCown (I'd probably take a flyer on Locker)...but really, there's no alternative to a bad journeyman. No team is trading even a marginal starter unless they have something else on hand (neither the Bears nor the Rams do), and the team was never going to be bad enough to get Winston or Mariota. Draft a guy like Hundley or Grayson? Whatever, sure, but they're not doing a GD thing this year.

I'll evaluate Manuel 8 games into this season and not before.

As for bringing in Orton, he couldn't have brought him in sooner--Orton didn't want to go through training camp. 

I don't think McCown is as good as Orton.

I still think Whaley's biggest mistake is spending two first round picks on one wide receiver.

They were working on Orton the moment he "retired" and spent most of training camp trying to get him signed. Orton decided to wait as long as he did to maximize his leverage with the Bills and others who were courting him. 

Don't sweat Overdorf as a "negotiator" too much. He's our capologist, and a damned good one at that. Nothing he does in the process should be considered "meddlesome" nor does he have any type of veto powers when it comes to player acquisitions. He's there to make sure the language is right and the numbers fit the salary structures in place. He is no longer bound by the same previous budgetary constraints but that doesn't mean there aren't certain limits within various position groups, etc. 

I get that he's viewed as somehow joined to the hip of Littman and the old regime, but even then he was given too much credit for having more say than he did. He was given a far stricter budget in the past and expected to toe that line. The Pegulas aren't committed to that hard number which gives him more leeway, but the cap is a very dynamic aspect that needs to be managed several years in advance. Overdorf is a big asset in that regard. 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

I'm not happy about bringing in McCown (I'd probably take a flyer on Locker)...but really, there's no alternative to a bad journeyman. No team is trading even a marginal starter unless they have something else on hand (neither the Bears nor the Rams do), and the team was never going to be bad enough to get Winston or Mariota. Draft a guy like Hundley or Grayson? Whatever, sure, but they're not doing a GD thing this year.

I wasn't referring only to this offseason -- this is Whaley's 3rd offseason as GM.  3 offseasons, and we find ourselves hoping that Josh Freaking McCown deigns to become our new QB.  Yeccchhh.

Don't sweat Overdorf as a "negotiator" too much. He's our capologist, and a damned good one at that. Nothing he does in the process should be considered "meddlesome" nor does he have any type of veto powers when it comes to player acquisitions. He's there to make sure the language is right and the numbers fit the salary structures in place. He is no longer bound by the same previous budgetary constraints but that doesn't mean there aren't certain limits within various position groups, etc. 

I get that he's viewed as somehow joined to the hip of Littman and the old regime, but even then he was given too much credit for having more say than he did. He was given a far stricter budget in the past and expected to toe that line. The Pegulas aren't committed to that hard number which gives him more leeway, but the cap is a very dynamic aspect that needs to be managed several years in advance. Overdorf is a big asset in that regard. 

GO BILLS!!!

What is all of this based on? 

Leaving aside whether he's any good as a "capologist" -- and really, how would we know?  The Bills have had plenty of cap room every year, so it's not like Overdorf has had to do anything particularly clever or creative -- the impression I've gotten over the years is that Overdorf gets to decide how much the Bills are going to spend on Player X -- and if Player X wants more than Overdorf's number, the Bills don't get Player X.

I wasn't referring only to this offseason -- this is Whaley's 3rd offseason as GM.  3 offseasons, and we find ourselves hoping that Josh Freaking McCown deigns to become our new QB.  Yeccchhh.

Who, in the last 3 years, have the Bills been in position to draft or acquire through trade or free agency who is actually good? The only one I can think of is Alex Smith, and even he was suddenly incapable of winning once his defense fell apart to injury. From my memory, there haven't been anything else you could even argue was a missed opportunity.

What is all of this based on? 

Leaving aside whether he's any good as a "capologist" -- and really, how would we know?  The Bills have had plenty of cap room every year, so it's not like Overdorf has had to do anything particularly clever or creative -- the impression I've gotten over the years is that Overdorf gets to decide how much the Bills are going to spend on Player X -- and if Player X wants more than Overdorf's number, the Bills don't get Player X.

As I mentioned, Mr. Wilson and later Littman, imposed a strict budgetary line and as one of the earlier teams (along with Pittsburgh, Green Bay, KC, and Cinci) to adopt a cash to cap accounting method, I could argue it took even more creativity to manage the cap within those constraints. 

The impression that it was Overdorf that got to decide is what I alluded to previously; people gave him too much credit in that area. It was never Overdorf's number to begin with. And it isn't now. But he isn't subject to the same strict constraints as before. 

At any rate, knowing how fluid the cap is and how much current planning factors into future impacts, teams need an Overdorf. Most do and I know we could do much worse. It's easy for me to understand why he has long been viewed as an asset in that regard. And, also contrary to public opinion, he was always well-liked in the building. 

GO BILLS!!!

As I mentioned, Mr. Wilson and later Littman, imposed a strict budgetary line and as one of the earlier teams (along with Pittsburgh, Green Bay, KC, and Cinci) to adopt a cash to cap accounting method, I could argue it took even more creativity to manage the cap within those constraints. 

The impression that it was Overdorf that got to decide is what I alluded to previously; people gave him too much credit in that area. It was never Overdorf's number to begin with. And it isn't now. But he isn't subject to the same strict constraints as before. 

At any rate, knowing how fluid the cap is and how much current planning factors into future impacts, teams need an Overdorf. Most do and I know we could do much worse. It's easy for me to understand why he has long been viewed as an asset in that regard. And, also contrary to public opinion, he was always well-liked in the building. 

GO BILLS!!!

OK -- again, you are making a bunch of factual assertions here.  What are they based on?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.