Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Completely and totally disagree. 

Bradford      Manuel

QBR      40.7           34.8 (42.3 in 10 games as a rookie, 19.8 in five games this year...need more starts)

CMP%   58.6           58.6

YPA       6.29           6.43

TD:INT  1.55           1.33

It's not a pure comparison because Bradford improved in his 3rd and 4th seasons (Manuel's rookie numbers are better than Bradford's) but I think it gets the point across. 

Your comparison is curiously devoid of statistical markers, such as sample size.

Such a master of statistics as yourself, doctor, I am sure this was due to one of your assistants occasional oversights.

So hard to find good help, as you big, tough, Americans say, tee hee.

Your comparison is curiously devoid of statistical markers, such as sample size.

Such a master of statistics as yourself, doctor, I am sure this was due to one of your assistants occasional oversights.

So hard to find good help, as you big, tough, Americans say, tee hee.

My QBR specifically mentioned Manuel needs more starts to know if his rookie or sophomore seasons is real. Which was like 90% of the argument against benching him in the first place: we need to see more.

My QBR specifically mentioned Manuel needs more starts to know if his rookie or sophomore seasons is real. Which was like 90% of the argument against benching him in the first place: we need to see more.

In soviet russia Troll Messageboards YOU!

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Bears wouldn't commit to Jay Cutler today and multiple reporters are saying they think this shows that they're going to move him. He's still, by far, the best option out there. I'm more all-in on Cutler than I was before. The draft isn't going to get us anything immediate and free agency is a bunch of garbage. Get it done.

He's not the best option out there.  Bradford is.

My assessment: Bradford has actually been asked to make throws. He's not been great at it, but he's at least been asked to throw. EJ has similarly bad numbers with out even trying to make plays to win games.

Neither of them moves the needle.

Jeremy White @JeremyWGR

Listener suggested a video of all of Sam Bradford throws over 15 yards. I expected a tire fire. Nope. I'm impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLDkYravNA 

Edited by Eleven

Rating for Bradford were narrowly below Manuel's for their rookie seasons but I'd take Bradford there any day...

Bradford 354 for 590 (60%) 3,512 yards, 18 TDs and 15 INTs

Manuel (extrapolated to 16 games) 288 for 490 (58.8%) 3,155 yards 18 TDs and 14 INTs

Bradford's two healthy seasons he was over 3500 yards and 18 TDs (21 in 2012). Ratings don't like Bradford but his numbers are far better than what Manuel is currently capable of.

Bradford's yardage and TD numbers reflect Glass' point: he's been asked to throw the ball more than EJ. Maybe EJ would look worse if he had to throw more, certainly possible, but given the data we have, there is not a convincing argument Bradford is much if any better.

Jeremy White ‏@JeremyWGR

Listener suggested a video of all of Sam Bradford throws over 15 yards. I expected a tire fire. Nope. I'm impressed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhLDkYravNA …

Sure, he can throw over 15 yards...it's just that his propensity to check down makes Trent Edwards swoon.

Man his receivers have sucked!

Either that or the balls are over-inflated.  I'd love to see what he would do with the Bills' receivers.

Re TrueBlue's point on checkdowns:  I haven't seen enough Rams games (has anyone in Buffalo, really?) to evaluate that concern.  I know it wasn't a problem at OU.

Edited by Eleven

With the way the team's been built, and the way it is currently constituted, it makes zero sense for them to do anything other than take a hard run at Bradford. The time for this squad to win is now, their horizon is within sight. Josh McCown is not going to get it done.

As for Cutler, I can't see him as an option since the Bills hired the former Bears OC (Kromer) who threw Cutler under the bus with a reporter. That's probably for the best. Cutler turns the ball over too much.

He's not the best option out there. Bradford is.

1. The Cutler stuff came out before the Bradford stuff did which made Cutler the definitive best option.

2. That's your opinion, but why do you feel that way? If healthy I'd take Bradford. But, again, he wouldn't be available if he were healthy.

1. The Cutler stuff came out before the Bradford stuff did which made Cutler the definitive best option.

2. That's your opinion, but why do you feel that way? If healthy I'd take Bradford. But, again, he wouldn't be available if he were healthy.

He was a better quarterback in college and has been a better quarterback in the NFL.  Cutler = Orton.  9-7, no playoffs.  Healthy Bradford = 11-5.  There is no time like the present for this team; it's time to take a stab at a good, not average, quarterback.  If he ends up injured again, well, at least they tried.  Cutler could end up injured, too, for that matter.

He was a better quarterback in college and has been a better quarterback in the NFL. Cutler = Orton. 9-7, no playoffs. Healthy Bradford = 11-5. There is no time like the present for this team; it's time to take a stab at a good, not average, quarterback. If he ends up injured again, well, at least they tried. Cutler could end up injured, too, for that matter.

Cutler isn't equal to Orton. He's far better than Orton. Those comparisons are silly. I can see why you would want Bradford. My only issue with Bradford, whose stats don't even compare to Cutler's anyways, is that we'll probably end up 7-0 and then he'll tear an ACL and we lose out.

He was a better quarterback in college and has been a better quarterback in the NFL. Cutler = Orton. 9-7, no playoffs. Healthy Bradford = 11-5. There is no time like the present for this team; it's time to take a stab at a good, not average, quarterback. If he ends up injured again, well, at least they tried. Cutler could end up injured, too, for that matter.

Cutler and Orton are not the same QB. Cutler has a cannon for an arm and isn't afraid to take a hit. Orton will slide for a 3 yard loss on 3rd down with the game on the line.

Cutler isn't equal to Orton. He's far better than Orton. Those comparisons are silly. 

I understand the idea that Cutler is a superior quarterback to Orton in many respects.

I also understand the belief that, all told, the team would be a borderline playoff team with Cutler, the same as it was with Orton. They might take a different (pick-6-heavier) path there, but they'd likely end up in the same spot.

For my own part, I think the team would make the playoffs with Cutler. Then again, I presume that the hiring of Kromer eliminates the possibility of bringing on Cutler.

Either that or the balls are over-inflated. I'd love to see what he would do with the Bills' receivers.

Re TrueBlue's point on checkdowns: I haven't seen enough Rams games (has anyone in Buffalo, really?) to evaluate that concern. I know it wasn't a problem at OU.

I certainly haven't watched a ton of Rams games, but in Bradford's best season he was 26th in the league in yards per attempt. Not sure how you get there without being a checkdown machine.

I certainly haven't watched a ton of Rams games, but in Bradford's best season he was 26th in the league in yards per attempt. Not sure how you get there without being a checkdown machine.

ypc low = checkdown machine.

ypa low = some combination of drops, inaccuracy, or short passes w/ little yac.  Being Captain Checkdown is only 1 of several ways to get there.

Of the available options, Bradford seems the best and I'd hope the Bills do more than just kick the tires.  Not interested in Cutler at his present salary.

ypc low = checkdown machine.

ypa low = some combination of drops, inaccuracy, or short passes w/ little yac. Being Captain Checkdown is only 1 of several ways to get there.

Of the available options, Bradford seems the best and I'd hope the Bills do more than just kick the tires. Not interested in Cutler at his present salary.

I'm not sure I agree with this, but nonetheless, Branford was 24th in YPC in his best season. I stand by the checkdown criticism.

I understand the idea that Cutler is a superior quarterback to Orton in many respects.

I also understand the belief that, all told, the team would be a borderline playoff team with Cutler, the same as it was with Orton. They might take a different (pick-6-heavier) path there, but they'd likely end up in the same spot.

For my own part, I think the team would make the playoffs with Cutler. Then again, I presume that the hiring of Kromer eliminates the possibility of bringing on Cutler.

That's more or less what I meant with Cutler = Orton.  I realize that they are different QBs with different skill sets.

That's more or less what I meant with Cutler = Orton.  I realize that they are different QBs with different skill sets.

Right, right. Gotcha.

I happen to think that last year's team with Cutler at QB would've won 10 or possibly 11 games. But, like I've been saying, you close the door on a guy (Cutler) when you hire a coach who bad-mouthed him to a reporter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.