Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

To the first part, I don't get your point. We lost to all decent teams besides one, so TT is mediocre?

Edelman out was not the only reason this was close. I don't think I'll convince you there anyhow

You want to be a good QB in this league means you have to win games against solid teams. All these wins were against non-playoff teams and if the Jets coach had any brain would have kicked FG's instead of going for it. Bad coaching cost the Jets against us.

No Edelman means you can shut down Gronk. Both playing open up lanes for one another. Plus when u play New England you almost have to play flawless and get points on the board any chance you get. This is why they are so good. Even when they aren't clicking on all cyniders on offense you still have to be solid against this team.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

You want to be a good QB in this league means you have to win games against solid teams. All these wins were against non-playoff teams and if the Jets coach had any brain would have kicked FG's instead of going for it. Bad coaching cost the Jets against us.

No Edelman means you can shut down Gronk. Both playing open up lanes for one another.

Winning/losing games is on the team, not the QB. I thought Taylor was bad, yet a couple of drops being catches and it's a different game. Edited by TrueBlueGED

Winning/losing games is on the team, not the QB. I thought Taylor was bad, yet a couple of drops being catches and it's a different game.

And how many years has this been happening??? Oh wait they haven't made the playoffs in the 2000's. Quality QB's make teams better. At the end of the day it's all about wins and losses and nothing has changed since last year. This team should be better but when you have a mediocre player at the most important position in football you have a problem winning games.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

And how many years has this been happening??? Oh wait they haven't made the playoffs in the 2000's. Quality QB's make teams better.

Duh? But plenty of teams that are no better than the Bills have much better QBs. Saints, Falcons, Giants, Chargers...

Winning is harder without a QB, but putting all the credit/blame there is lazy.

No Edelman means you can shut down Gronk. Both playing open up lanes for one another. Plus when u play New England you almost have to play flawless and get points on the board any chance you get. This is why they are so good. Even when they aren't clicking on all cyniders on offense you still have to be solid against this team.

Well your last sentence contradicts itself. If not having Edelman is why we almost won, then how can the Past always be flawless no matter who they plug in? 

And how many years has this been happening??? Oh wait they haven't made the playoffs in the 2000's. Quality QB's make teams better. At the end of the day it's all about wins and losses and nothing has changed since last year. This team should be better but when you have a mediocre player at the most important position in football you have a problem winning games.

Tons of mediocre QB's have made the playoffs. Quality QB's making teams better isn't a revelation

*raises hand*

I'm a Rex apologist!

Taylor sucked tonight as all of his shortcomings were on display (struggles throwing from the pocket and moving through his progressions) while his greatest strength (the deep bucket throw) wasn't great. Line wasn't great, but fine for the most part. The offense cost us this game, not McKelvin. Such is life with a middle of the pack QB.

I knew this was going to happen coming into this game though. Belicheat does this to every single rookie QB; he forces them to stay in the pocket, takes the run away, and will go Brady vs. Rookie QB all day

Edited by WildCard

Tons of mediocre QB's have made the playoffs but with either a strong run game with timely throws or with a stellar defense. Buffalo hasn't put either one of those two together. But if you look at it this has been going on how long. Solid lines on both sides of the ball with a solid QB will go a long way. Unfortunately none of our previous GM's besides Polian could figure that out.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Tons of mediocre QB's have made the playoffs but with either a strong run game with timely throws or with a stellar defense. Buffalo hasn't put either one of those two together. But if you look at it this has been going on how long. Solid lines on both sides of the ball with a solid QB will go a long way.

Nobody's debating you in that lines+QB are how you win. The fact is every QB in this league besides 7 or so are mediocre, and even that number may be generous 

Duh? But plenty of teams that are no better than the Bills have much better QBs. Saints, Falcons, Giants, Chargers...

Winning is harder without a QB, but putting all the credit/blame there is lazy.

Those teams are just examples of the fluctuation in this league. Very few teams are able to be consistently great... But you've got two Super Bowls (1 NYG, 1 NO) and 13 playoff appearances (4 ATL, 2 NYG, 4 NO, 3 SD) since the youngest (Matt Ryan) joined the league in 2008 (the Giants other SB was the year before Matt Ryan got drafted). And they've been on some pretty mediocre rosters during that time. The Bills have had multiple rosters that are better than most of those QB's teams.

It's often the difference and is by far the biggest factor.

This game wasn't closer because Edelman was out, Amendola had 9 catches for 117 yards. That pretty much covered the loss of Edelman. The Bills showed signs of greatness and a fantastic defensive scheme in the 1st half. I haven't seen Brady that flustered and confused for a long time.

Alas the outcome was just like any other game from the last 15 years, too much hope and not enough results. When it's all said and done this team is destined for failure. We'll go into the offseason as another 8-8 team with another average draft position, looking for a QB and the team will somehow manage to convince enough people to think next year will be different.

The Bills play all three teams they're tied with at 5-5 before the end of the season, including the next two weeks against the Chiefs and Texans. If they win the next two games they should be in the playoffs despite today's failure.

But they're going to need whoever is under center to suddenly become a good QB.

This is 100% correct. Taylor looked as bad last night as he did in the first Patriots game and almost as bad as he did against the Titans. Unless the Bills have the Dolphins on the schedule a couple of more times we will see much of the luster come off Taylor between now and the end of yet another playoff-less season.

The offensive game plan was horrible last night. The backs ran 600 yards east/west to gain 94 yards north/south. The offensive line isn't good enough to maintain the blocks needed to make that style of running work.

Sammy Watkins is truly Mr.Glass. He makes one catch through three quarters and needs the trainers? I fear he may not be tough enough for the NFL.

Clock/timeout management again was horrific. 7 minutes left, down by 10 and the Taylor and the offense are strolling around like the game is tied or they are down by three. And that two minute drive was pathetic. Get the ball back with 1:50 left and they couldn't even make it to mid-field. 

The score may have been close, the feeling after the game is the same as it has been for years. I take no moral victory away from this, just the realization that the 2015 Buffalo Bills are nowhere near good enough to do anything significant. 

Why would you not tell the QB to fall forward when you need 6 inches?

Also, this is a gutless punt. Should go for it there. We need points.

This was the last clear chance for the Bills to win, and as soon as they kicked, I went to sleep.

Horrible refs again, I saw, and  I'm hearing this morning.  The NFL doesn't care because gambling keeps it alive.  But on both sides of the ball, how are these people professionals in a $1B industry?

I know he are all over the refs too much here, but it feels like every single monday or tuesday morning I'm waking up to chatter about a blown late call in the previous night's game.  They're going to have to shake up their system sooner or later.  This whole idea that nothing can hurt the NFL, it has to catch up to them sooner or later, right?  I'll be curious to see if there are any ripples from the concussion movie (interesting timing with the Case Keenum thing too).

I know he are all over the refs too much here, but it feels like every single monday or tuesday morning I'm waking up to chatter about a blown late call in the previous night's game.  They're going to have to shake up their system sooner or later.  This whole idea that nothing can hurt the NFL, it has to catch up to them sooner or later, right?  I'll be curious to see if there are any ripples from the concussion movie (interesting timing with the Case Keenum thing too).

You know what hurts the NFL for me and why I will never be a diehard fan like I am with hockey? Last nights game took 4 hours.  They have commercials for their commercials. Every single change of possession gets a 5 minutes commercial break.  I rarely watch games start to finish because I get frustrated but the constant freaking stoppages. If Hockey ever does something that stupid I will be pissed.

You know what hurts the NFL for me and why I will never be a diehard fan like I am with hockey? Last nights game took 4 hours.  They have commercials for their commercials. Every single change of possession gets a 5 minutes commercial break.  I rarely watch games start to finish because I get frustrated but the constant freaking stoppages. If Hockey ever does something that stupid I will be pissed.

Yeah, it has become unbearable in recent years.  I think my favorite part of the commercialization last night was that the national anthem actually had a sponsor.  That's when you know you've gone too far.

And on a side note, am I the only one who wishes that ref's name was actually Gene Skeletor?

Those teams are just examples of the fluctuation in this league. Very few teams are able to be consistently great... But you've got two Super Bowls (1 NYG, 1 NO) and 13 playoff appearances (4 ATL, 2 NYG, 4 NO, 3 SD) since the youngest (Matt Ryan) joined the league in 2008 (the Giants other SB was the year before Matt Ryan got drafted). And they've been on some pretty mediocre rosters during that time. The Bills have had multiple rosters that are better than most of those QB's teams.

It's often the difference and is by far the biggest factor.

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with this. QBs are a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for sustained success.

This was the last clear chance for the Bills to win, and as soon as they kicked, I went to sleep.

Horrible refs again, I saw, and I'm hearing this morning. The NFL doesn't care because gambling keeps it alive. But on both sides of the ball, how are these people professionals in a $1B industry?

Maybe if they actually made them professionals with a real incentive/punishment system we wouldn't be having this conversation weekly.

I know he are all over the refs too much here, but it feels like every single monday or tuesday morning I'm waking up to chatter about a blown late call in the previous night's game. They're going to have to shake up their system sooner or later. This whole idea that nothing can hurt the NFL, it has to catch up to them sooner or later, right? I'll be curious to see if there are any ripples from the concussion movie (interesting timing with the Case Keenum thing too).

I think as long as gambling and fantasy football exist, the NFL probably really can do whatever it wants without consequence.

You know what hurts the NFL for me and why I will never be a diehard fan like I am with hockey? Last nights game took 4 hours. They have commercials for their commercials. Every single change of possession gets a 5 minutes commercial break. I rarely watch games start to finish because I get frustrated but the constant freaking stoppages. If Hockey ever does something that stupid I will be pissed.

So stop complaining about scoring in the NHL. If the league fixes its problems that's the first step to gaining popularity and going down the NFL's path.

We had every opportunity to win that game and didn't cash in on any of them. Frustrating.

I'll just say this about the NFL, though, why does it prove week after week that it's not a penalty to hit our kicker?

PS. Rex, your team is terrible at tackling in space.

Morning thoughts: this team won't have a QB until it finds one so talented and unwavering that they're abilities trump the culture of losing. I have no doubt they've had one or two QBs since Kelly that could have been good elsewhere. They need to strike gold. Move heaven and earth to draft high.

The NFL legitimately needs to have a conference on reffing. Bring in like five heads of refereeing and every team. Then hold town halls in each city. Bring in neutral parties and essentially re-write the messy parts of the rule book.

The fact that the NFL had the inadvertent whistle play removed from the NFL Network replay is hilarious. You can't write the history of this game without it.

This team has very few pieces I feel attached to. They could blow it up.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.