Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Can Ray Rice help the Bills win football games?

Probably not.  They are incredibly deep at RB.  They are only temporarily sidelined, and the first game isn't for nearly a month.  A group that includes McCoy, Jackson, and Dixon is not going to need Rice.

So how has the Bills offensive line looked? We are going to be relying on them a lot this year.

I've been hearing good things on the radio.

I hold that line of thought as a general principle. People who repeatedly do awful things tend not to get its benefit from me. And I didn't say he should get a mulligan.

I should provide some context: I've grown a bit weary of the paradigm that dictates that professional athletes should be subjected to greater scrutiny and more severe penalties than people in other sectors of the work force. It's not even entirely rational. I'm just tired of that whole shtick. I think the fatigue comes from my antipathy with the NFL appointing and branding itself as some bastion of 'Murican virtue (THE SHIELD!). Screw that. I think it also stems from the fact that I don't particularly care whether a player is a model citizen or a good guy (although hooray if he is (see Goodwin)); what I really mostly want is for the player to help my preferred team win games. 

"The Shield" was a really good show.  I binge-watched all 75-odd episodes last summer.  Highly recommended.

I hold that line of thought as a general principle. People who repeatedly do awful things tend not to get its benefit from me. And I didn't say he should get a mulligan.

I should provide some context: I've grown a bit weary of the paradigm that dictates that professional athletes should be subjected to greater scrutiny and more severe penalties than people in other sectors of the work force. It's not even entirely rational. I'm just tired of that whole shtick. I think the fatigue comes from my antipathy with the NFL appointing and branding itself as some bastion of 'Murican virtue (THE SHIELD!). Screw that. I think it also stems from the fact that I don't particularly care whether a player is a model citizen or a good guy (although hooray if he is (see Goodwin)); what I really mostly want is for the player to help my preferred team win games. 

I can understand this. I don't agree with it, but I can understand it. 

Ray Rice's numbers both running and receiving, have seen a decline in two straight seasons. The last year he played he averaged 3.1 yards per carry. Putrid doesn't even begin to describe that. Even a team thin at RB could find an equipment or better player off the street. Worst case scenario, we'd be better off starting Bryce Brown.

As somebody who clearly leans left, I hope Ray Rice gets another shot. One incident should never define a person forever unless it was a mass event. There's a chance it wasn't the first or last time, but his wife has been extremely adamant and Rice has apologized many times.

Some groups who advocate for women's rights have called for Rice to get another shot.

Adrian Peterson got another shot after beating his child, but Ray Rice shouldn't be allowed near the league? Double standard there.

That said, I don't want it in Buffalo. No need and we've already got enough of a circus here.

As somebody who clearly leans left, I hope Ray Rice gets another shot. One incident should never define a person forever unless it was a mass event. There's a chance it wasn't the first or last time, but his wife has been extremely adamant and Rice has apologized many times.

Some groups who advocate for women's rights have called for Rice to get another shot.

Adrian Peterson got another shot after beating his child, but Ray Rice shouldn't be allowed near the league? Double standard there.

That said, I don't want it in Buffalo. No need and we've already got enough of a circus here.

Adrian Peterson was still good the last time he stepped on the field. Not that it removes any double standard for off field stuff, but I think the real reason Rice hasn't gotten a shot yet is because of his play, not his punch.

Adrian Peterson was still good the last time he stepped on the field. Not that it removes any double standard for off field stuff, but I think the real reason Rice hasn't gotten a shot yet is because of his play, not his punch.

This.

It is amazing how much more leeway one is given when they are: 1. competent at (a) task(s); 2. somebody else can make money off them; or 3. both.

Adrian Petersen almost definitely fits into category 3 currently (he's in category 1 at bare minimum); Ray Rice possibly fits category 1 at this point in his career. (And it doesn't look like anyone is desperate enough yet to have money on whether he does fit category 1 at this point.)

I know. That was my point. They're both equally deserving of a second chance.

This.

It is amazing how much more leeway one is given when they are: 1. competent at (a) task(s); 2. somebody else can make money off them; or 3. both.

Adrian Petersen almost definitely fits into category 3 currently (he's in category 1 at bare minimum); Ray Rice possibly fits category 1 at this point in his career. (And it doesn't look like anyone is desperate enough yet to have money on whether he does fit category 1 at this point.)

#2 really is the key there.  Bringing on Rice is also going to bring a whole new world of attention and scrutiny to your team.  The return you get from Rice would need to outweigh that attention and it doesn't seem likely that he can at this point.

I know. That was my point. They're both equally deserving of a second chance.

Deserving a second chance is great and all, but someone also has to be willing to give you that chance.

This.

See also: Pat Kane vs. Mike Richards.

Gotcha. I thought you were insinuating Rice hadn't gotten a second chance solely because of the assault.

Nope. But I do think there are many who just shrugged off AP's assault of his child but find what Rice did as horrifying. In both situations they were attempting to teach another individual a lesson who they clearly overpower. Using force instead of appropriate action.

I think Rice deserved at least a shot in someone's camp to see if he has the ability left. If he's anywhere near what he was then he's going to help a team. Unfortunately for him I don't think that's happening.

Now I'm not going to cry for Ray Rice. He dug his own grave.

So much dust up in this office right now.

Not sure why I missed this when it first aired.

What a man.

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11571112&i=TWT&w=1eojd

Oh man, that was amazing.  Thank you for posting that.

My new favorite Bill, by a mile.  Will be rooting hard for this guy from now on.

Whoa. That's really liberating. Not to threadjack, but that is really a great thought.

Yeah it gave me pause. Unfortunately I have done so many awful things, I'm pretty close to that worst thing zone.

No, he's been a bad football player for two years, which is why my blood boils every time I hear his name.

Thank you. He single handedly ruined two of my FF teams.

Yeah it gave me pause. Unfortunately I have done so many awful things, I'm pretty close to that worst thing zone.

Just because you've been at the bottom of the barrel a lot doesn't mean that you yourself are any worse a guy.  As long as you've learned from the up things in your past, you can still come out of it a better man.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.