Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I didn't mean it as literally as it probably came off. That said, disappointment is a function of expectations and I get the sense that the expectations are a little out of whack. Last year at this time I remember similar questions about the defense and worries about the transition from Pettine to Schwartz. Then we finished the year locking down Manning and Rodgers in consecutive weeks...before taking a dump against the vaunted Oakland offense. Except for all-time defenses, these ups and downs happen...even to last year's defense that many seem to be longing for.

Further to that point, it only week 4, and teams make adjustments to correct weaknesses. The Bills' weighted DVOA last season, when compared to the non-adjusted DVOA, shows they improved a good deal as the season went on. Given the scheme change, that makes sense. I see no reason to expect a fundamentally different result this year.

I think I agree with what you're saying.  Absolutely not panic time and I think things will be okay too.  Let me say this too.  Thought defense played amazing against miami and colts.  I thought the defense played good yesterday, not amazing but definitely good.  One TD drive was extended by awful penalties.  One was a short drive after a turnover when the defense was on the field over and over.  And one was a god awful, piece of ###### play  with terrible tackling and pursuit.  The pats made the defense a joke, but they do that to a lot of teams.  

Is the defense the problem, no way.  Is it time to panic, nope.  Have they disappointed a little?  Absolutely.  Will they get to the level they need to be?  I think so

Good point to the bold

Edited by Johnny DangerFace

Tannehill is still a good NFL QB. As if other QBs don't say similar things. He's part of a ###### show and has certainly contributed to it in his own ways, but you don't put up stats like he did last year without the ability.

And let's not forget how bad that entire team is right now. Suh has done absolutely nothing (less than Tannehill)... Does that mean he's no good? No, it doesn't.

it really is priceless that he's talking trash to the practice squad who is making him look bad, though. He could've at least thrown in a "my wife is way hotter than yours" in there too. 

I think I agree with what you're saying. Absolutely not panic time and I think things will be okay too. Let me say this too. Thought defense played amazing against miami and colts. I thought the defense played good yesterday, not amazing but definitely good. One TD drive was extended by awful penalties. One was a short drive after a turnover when the defense was on the field over and over. And one was a god awful, piece of ###### play with terrible tackling and pursuit. The pats made the defense a joke, but they do that to a lot of teams.

Is the defense the problem, no way. Is it time to panic, nope. Have they disappointed a little? Absolutely. Will they get to the level they need to be? I think so

Good point to the bold

Yea, we're on the same page. I've been a little disappointed too, but it feels like some are cliff jumpers 4 weeks into the year.

Tannehill is still a good NFL QB. As if other QBs don't say similar things. He's part of a ###### show and has certainly contributed to it in his own ways, but you don't put up stats like he did last year without the ability.

And let's not forget how bad that entire team is right now. Suh has done absolutely nothing (less than Tannehill)... Does that mean he's no good? No, it doesn't.

Oh, Tank.  This is rich.

TSW on our sister site is a s***show right now...very glad hockey is about to start.

One if the great things about hockey is that you usually have a game in a day or two. Losing in the NFL means a whole week if brooding and avoiding media coverage until at least wed Edited by WildCard

Who's the (former) Tannheill fanboy around these parts?

Eee gads.

On Saturday during practice, Tannehill, after a couple of practice squad players forced turnovers, Tannehill made negative comments toward them, including saying: "Enjoy your practice squad paycheck, enjoy your practice squad trophy."

Philbin told the practice squad players to take it easy on Tannehill to not affect the young quarterback's confidence.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/10/5/9454861/these-ryan-tannehill-quotes-from-dolphins-practice-are-just

Yeah, that's douchey. But don't forget he's the young starting QB playing in Miami. What do you expect? Wasn't Marino the same way?

Also, "as if other QBs don't say similar things" is a really weak rationalization for some truly dooshy stuff on display from this 27 year old supposed leader of the team.  This is how your leader deals with hardship, like a ######.

True. But don't forget how he stepped up last year when his starting job was on the line. Can't make judgements off hearsay. It's not like the media doesn't take things out of context. 

Not saying Tannehill isn't a tool. What he said was dumb and embarrassing (although it is anonymously sourced which is something so many members of this board hate unless it fits what they want to hear).

There is zero doubt in my mind comments like this are made constantly in the league, especially during practice.

I don't "like" Ryan Tannehill, but I'm not going to kick a guy while he's down just because it's easy. He holds the record for most consecutive passes without an INT in Dolphins history... He fell apart after the Bills broke that streak of his but he was essentially the only member of the team that hadn't fallen apart before that point.

Yeah, that's douchey. But don't forget he's the young starting QB playing in Miami. What do you expect? Wasn't Marino the same way?

True. But don't forget how he stepped up last year when his starting job was on the line. Can't make judgements off hearsay. It's not like the media doesn't take things out of context.

On your first point: yeeeeap. So was Jim Kelly. So is Tom Brady. So was Michael Vick, Broadway Joe, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, etc etc.

On the second: exactly my point from above. I don't doubt that he said it, but "sources" get no benefit of the doubt here unless it fits.

Edited by Hoss

Thanks for the answer/reminder on my original question.

Do you really think other QBs -- the de facto leaders of their teams -- say stuff like that? I don't. Or, if they do, they're not long for the starter's position. That sort of stuff is pure and complete dooshery. It's the sort of thing that might get a QB's jaw broken, in fact.

Suh's PFF grades have been mixed (he actually graded out quite well against the Bills (despite not being visible on the stat sheet) (#fancystats))). Tannehill, OTOH, is a bottom-5 QB according to the same group (PFF).

But Miami paid that fella as a franchise QB. Good job, Miami. Good hustle.

So was Jim Kelly. So is Tom Brady. So was Michael Vick, Broadway Joe, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning, etc etc.

Hmm. I dunno. I have no doubt that the QBs talk all manner of sh!t as and amongst their teammates. But the "practice squad" stuff is demeaning in a way that tears at a team's fabric; that is not the sort of smack talk I'd envision any of the above-cited players engaging in.

Sorry. You guys are right. We all know for sure that no legitimate starting QB has ever made a douchy comment in practice.

I bet if Cam Newton had ever said something in a practice he would get punched in the face... Good thing that never happened. Kerry Collins and Roger Staubach also definitely never got into fights with teammates over comments they made.

Phillip Rivers has never shown to be willing to argue with his own fan base indicating he's probably fiery enough to talk to his own teammates.

Tannehill becoming the first QB in history to say something in practice that has drawn some ire is an indictment on him as a QB. He should be banned.

There's an irony here in how Hoss is choosing to communicate his position on Tannehill. If only I could put my finger on it.

Tannehill becoming the first QB in history to say something in practice that has drawn some ire 

Well, it is October. At least these guys are in season.

straw+man.jpg

I would definitely agree that the Dolphins should be worried about both Tannehill's attitude and play. But this has been a two-game rough stretch for him and he's only a few months removed from a stellar season.

If his stats are similar by the end of the year and the team finishes with a very poor record it would be time to pick on those who believe in Tannehill. Right now there's more doubt than there was a few months ago, but the WR turned QB isn't dead in the water. His comments are on the same level, in my opinion, as DeMarco Murray's complaining publicly about his coach not giving him the ball.

I would definitely agree that the Dolphins should be worried about both Tannehill's attitude and play. But this has been a two-game rough stretch for him and he's only a few months removed from a stellar season.

If his stats are similar by the end of the year and the team finishes with a very poor record it would be time to pick on those who believe in Tannehill. Right now there's more doubt than there was a few months ago, but the WR turned QB isn't dead in the water. 

Fair deuce.

(I omitted the Demarco Murray parallel - I disagree there.)

On another note, Jarvis Landry looked GOOD against the Jets. Only guy on the team that cared about winning. I'm trading for him in fantasy immediately, should come cheap.

I didn't see all of the game. I did see him drop a couple of catch-able balls, though. As a returner, though, he was/is really special.

There's an irony here in how Hoss is choosing to communicate his position on Tannehill. If only I could put my finger on it.

Well, it is October. At least these guys are in season.

straw+man.jpg

Awesome ... and with NO commentary on Hoss's original post ...   I'll ask this:

Did you have another "meme" ish thing, a few weeks back, around a similar "so what you're saying, is" concept?   Can you post, PM that again, assuming i have the correct poster?  Either way, awesome pic/definition.

Did you have another "meme" ish thing, a few weeks back, around a similar "so what you're saying, is" concept?   Can you post, PM that again, assuming i have the correct poster?  Either way, awesome pic/definition.

Sorry, man - not me. At least, I don't think it was.

There's a difference between a strawman and hyperbole (or hyperbolic strawman). Just wanted to clarify what my goal was in stating it the way I did.

20830603.jpg

they are two sides of the same coin. or they're kissing cousins. or something.

Hoss, I admire your dedication to the "Tannehill is good" train, but he's still just average. Every stat and the eyes say the same thing. Average.

Ok, our judgement may be clouded here, but you have to choose between Tyrod and Tannehill for the QB of the Bills. Who are you taking?

I'm taking Tyrod. No one would have said that 2 months ago.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.