Pegula incensed with Florida Panthers

papazoid

Statements like this continue to have no meaning. Ever consider the country has remained the same, but due to technology (particularly social media) we're just more aware of things to be mad about, are able to express those feelings instantaneously, and as a consequence are more aware when people do get offended by something? Of course not, that wouldn't fit with your macho narrative.

I don't know if we are getting soft. The entire social media thing has affected our lives in so many ways- some good and some not so good.

The only thing I wish for is someday everyone can say whatever they want with the same ramifications. Whatever your sex or race is. I won't go deeper than that because people will get offended. Its our culture.

Statements like this continue to have no meaning. Ever consider the country has remained the same, but due to technology (particularly social media) we're just more aware of things to be mad about, are able to express those feelings instantaneously, and as a consequence are more aware when people do get offended by something? Of course not, that wouldn't fit with your macho narrative.

No, it is my own observation based on life experiences and human interaction. Technology doesn't force you to get emotional about anything, it's entirely up to you how much emotion you want to bring into a situation. Technology has only provided you with more means by which to get emotional about.

I'm sorry my post offended you. (Actually, no I'm not). However your attack about 'macho narrative' is predictable, it's usually the road someone like you takes when their feelings get hurt. My observation wasn't directed at one person in particular, but now we know of at least one person it refers to.

My statement has meaning, you just choose to ignore it.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

You want to know the best part about all the so called outrage in this thread? The only quote actually credited to Pegula was "People died in that storm... That's not funny". That's it, that's the only quote we have seen. Does that really sound like an outrageous response from him? Those are some pretty tame words right there. The twitter post from the Miami writer used the word upset which is also a fairly tame wording. It's the prohockeytalk person who throws the word incensed out there as a headline grabber, attempting to draw mouse clicks. I'm not so sure why we're hanging on the words of a story compiler.

edit: Oh yeah, it's PA, who always love to jump all over one single word.

The quote is enough for me. No one was trying to make light of the deaths. Just the snow. But, OK, no image of snow can ever be displayed in a lighthearted context again, unless research is done to determine when and where the image was captured, and whether anyone died while it was falling. Or after it fell. But maybe Nana fell and broke her hip while going to the mailbox, and that's certainly not funny.

The quote is enough for me. No one was trying to make light of the deaths. Just the snow. But, OK, no image of snow can ever be displayed in a lighthearted context again, unless research is done to determine when and where the image was captured, and whether anyone died while it was falling. Or after it fell. But maybe Nana fell and broke her hip while going to the mailbox, and that's certainly not funny.

So he's a little over sensitive about the recent storm. Only you could rage about that.

It was unnecessary and a bit out of proportion for Pegula to call out the Panthers for an in-game video that was arguably in poor taste.

And I sorta love him for it.

I even tend to agree with PA's inference that, if true as reported, this tends to confirm that the guy's a flake.

But he's our flake. Our eccentric billionaire SNOW flake.

No, it is my own observation based on life experiences and human interaction. Technology doesn't force you to get emotional about anything, it's entirely up to you how much emotion you want to bring into a situation. Technology has only provided you with more means by which to get emotional about.

I'm sorry my post offended you. (Actually, no I'm not). However your attack about 'macho narrative' is predictable, it's usually the road someone like you takes when their feelings get hurt. My observation wasn't directed at one person in particular, but now we know of at least one person it refers to.

My statement has meaning, you just choose to ignore it.

Nowhere in my post did I say technology makes people emotional. If that's what you got out of it then your reading comprehension skills need some work. Nor was I offended, I'm simply tired of your "wussificstion" of America narrative that seems to be popping up more often. Frankly, if America was "wussified" at any point it was decades and possibly centuries ago with quality shelter, indoor plumbing, and mass production of essentials. Those changes did infinitely more than anything remotely recent. If you want to be a real tough guy you're more than welcome to reset the dial many millennia and go back to being a loincloth-wearing hunter-gatherer.

It was unnecessary and a bit out of proportion for Pegula to call out the Panthers for an in-game video that was arguably in poor taste.

And I sorta love him for it.

I even tend to agree with PA's inference that, if true as reported, this tends to confirm that the guy's a flake.

But he's our flake. Our eccentric billionaire SNOW flake.

This has been my opinion of Pegula as well. He's a big lovable lout.

The only thing I wish for is someday everyone can say whatever they want with the same ramifications. Whatever your sex or race is. I won't go deeper than that because people will get offended. Its our culture.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but taken at it's face I'll point out that people have never been (and will never be) able to say what they want with NO ramifications. 200 years ago saying what you like would certainly get you ejected from some social circles and possibly entered into a duel depending on what you said about or to whom. The best we get is that we get to say whatever we want with no *legal* ramifications. I say something distasteful as part of my free speech rights, others are perfectly to say that I'm wrong and an idiot as part of their free speech rights. It's as simple as that.

This is all so dumb. Some people can laugh at tragedies and some people get offended. Oh freaking well. We are all different.

Yup. I had a "Truly Tasteless Jokes" book by Blanche Knott back in the 80s, and there was a chapter of "Space Shuttle Jokes". I knew at least 8 or 9 of them by heart.

Ahh well, to each his own.

And I think Pegula getting all butt-hurt is ludicrous. My gosh, we can't make ANY weather jokes at all then, or humorously compare weather in one city to another, because someone died or may die as a result of the type of weather phenomena included in the joke? Dumb.

Edited by Jsixspd

Nowhere in my post did I say technology makes people emotional. If that's what you got out of it then your reading comprehension skills need some work. Nor was I offended, I'm simply tired of your "wussificstion" of America narrative that seems to be popping up more often. Frankly, if America was "wussified" at any point it was decades and possibly centuries ago with quality shelter, indoor plumbing, and mass production of essentials. Those changes did infinitely more than anything remotely recent. If you want to be a real tough guy you're more than welcome to reset the dial many millennia and go back to being a loincloth-wearing hunter-gatherer.

I'm having a hard time understanding your hostility. All I said was I think this country has gotten soft. That really is all that I said, my post was one sentence long. And so far what you took out of it was that I am a some sort of crude, neanderthal, illiterate with a macho narrative. (Your words, not mine) This isn't the only forum that I frequent, I have noticed one consistency though. Whenever somebody doesn't fall in a direct line with the progressive, politically correct agenda that person is usually labeled a right wing, backwoods, hick that watches FOX News 24/7. I wonder if it has anything to do with my reference to NASCAR just moments prior to your post. If there is any narrative right now, it's yours because your responses couldn't be more scripted.

In regards to technology, I never implied that you said that because I SAID IT. It was in reference to my point that you, and only you, controls how you feel about a situation. You can blame technology and society in general all you want for changing what people think and to what scale, but all they do is provide the means.

I'm not quite sure what other incidents you speak of in terms of "pussification". (It's OK to use a 'p' and not a 'w'........... I won't get offended). I'm certainly not going to bring it up in a thread where it's not part of the topic because THAT would be a narrative. If I brought it up, it was because it was part of my point. If it happens to be more often than you deem acceptable, then don't read my posts. I'm not going to bring it up out of the blue unless there is a reason. And for your information, using creature comforts as the basis for how or when we became 'soft' isn't the same as when we became easily offended and politically correct.

Don't like my posts, put me on ignore. It seems you've sparked quite the discussion because you're offended by one single statement I made. And yes, this really is over one statement that I made. This place is full of opinions, if I mentioned that we're getting soft in another thread and it lead to your rant perhaps you should consider that you're not the only one with an opinion; and you've also posted things that can be taken as repetitive.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean, but taken at it's face I'll point out that people have never been (and will never be) able to say what they want with NO ramifications. 200 years ago saying what you like would certainly get you ejected from some social circles and possibly entered into a duel depending on what you said about or to whom. The best we get is that we get to say whatever we want with no *legal* ramifications. I say something distasteful as part of my free speech rights, others are perfectly to say that I'm wrong and an idiot as part of their free speech rights. It's as simple as that.

We don't have free speach anymore. Everything we do and say has to be politically correct. What happened in Ferguson needed more outrage by people who supported that officer for doing his damn job. Everybody was afraid to say what they truly felt. If a black cop shot a white kid do you think that would have happened? This is not the forum for this kind of discussion but just an example of what I mean.

Edited by sicknfla

The kid, I say kid, he was 30 years old from Derrick City, PA. That drove a plow up to help people in Buffalo out. Lived about 4 minutes from where Pegula used to live. Isn't that just, ha-ha, ho, he-he. Just hysterical. Cracks me up when I think about it.

Huh?

Huh?

The guy he's talking about drove up here with his dad to assist folks stranded in the storm. Seemed to be a totally selfless act. While here in the area he was working to free up a stuck vehicle and got pinned and died from his injuries.

The guy he's talking about drove up here with his dad to assist folks stranded in the storm. Seemed to be a totally selfless act. While here in the area he was working to free up a stuck vehicle and got pinned and died from his injuries.

My God, that's tragic. Sounds like we lost a good one at a time when good ones are needed most. My prayers to his family.

Are we sure "incensed" accurately describes Pegula's reaction? Sports reporters have a tendency to err on the side of excessive embellishment. Maybe Pegula was actually, merely, perturbed. Or possibly slightly annoyed.

This country, and all first world societies have softened up, it only stands to reason. What is considered a hardship today was pedestrian yesterday; take the difference between a modem bathroom and a olde world outhouse, for example. Or, a modern remote starter versus an early auto's hand-crank. Heated floors versus a fireplace. Guns and Kevlar versus swords and wooden shields.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.