Pegula incensed with Florida Panthers

papazoid

Whatever reaction Pegula had, it was a human one, and privately between him and Dale Tallon. I don't think it makes him a champion or a dimwit.

Human, that's all. Something other than a cartoon.

Amen.

I was unaware of the potential connection (however remote) between Pegula and the young man who died while acting as a good Samaritan.

And for those saying this sort of reaction tends to foreclose weather jokes: Sometimes, timing is everything.

Are we sure "incensed" accurately describes Pegula's reaction? Sports reporters have a tendency to err on the side of excessive embellishment. Maybe Pegula was actually, merely, perturbed. Or possibly slightly annoyed.

This country, and all first world societies have softened up, it only stands to reason. What is considered a hardship today was pedestrian yesterday; take the difference between a modem bathroom and a olde world outhouse, for example. Or, a modern remote starter versus an early auto's hand-crank. Heated floors versus a fireplace. Guns and Kevlar versus swords and wooden shields.

Honestly, to me the quote reads as the equivalent of "dude, that's not funny". How we get from that to a thread that is referencing Ferguson is beyond me.

Honestly, to me the quote reads as the equivalent of "dude, that's not funny". How we get from that to a thread that is referencing Ferguson is beyond me.

We are in the midst of one of the longest, boring, and redundant stretches in Sabres history. I don't get why everytime we waiver off topic a little bit it has to be a big deal by certain posters. So what if we get away from hockey once in awhile. We can have good open discussion as a group once in awhile. I don't know any of you personally but I feel like in our own way we know each other enough to be able to have mature discussion and express opinion.

I understand this is a hockey forum but we can only duscuss tank, anti-tank, Stafford sucks, Weber sucks, Hodgson sucks, McEichle, and crazy ass trade scenarios so much. Trust me I wish we were discussing wins and playoff positioning but were not. And probably won't be for awhile.

The kid, I say kid, he was 30 years old from Derrick City, PA. That drove a plow up to help people in Buffalo out. Lived about 4 minutes from where Pegula used to live. Isn't that just, ha-ha, ho, he-he. Just hysterical. Cracks me up when I think about it.

Is this your first reference to the young man? It won't be my first. Now who's creepy?

But, two questions. Pegula lived four minutes from Derrick City? And how did the Panthers snow video make light of this man's death?

Hey, I'm just glad I'm no longer the most ridiculous poster here.

Internet Forum Mod is quickly moving up the "Lowest Job Satisfaction" list, innit?

It's not a tough job. The forum polices itself. At least that's what I was told when someone wrote that I was happy to hear about the news of Rick's cancer.

We don't have free speach anymore. Everything we do and say has to be politically correct. What happened in Ferguson needed more outrage by people who supported that officer for doing his damn job. Everybody was afraid to say what they truly felt. If a black cop shot a white kid do you think that would have happened? This is not the forum for this kind of discussion but just an example of what I mean.

I never understood this argument. Where are these people getting locked up in the US for offending people? No where because it's not happening. Freedom of Speech is there to protect you from the government or the police from detaining or arresting you for speaking about whatever you so please, it's not there to protect you from a public backlash if your offensive comment gets put out there for the world to see and people want to chastise, boycott, or exercise their 1st Amendment right to condemn whatever you happened to have said.

Paula Dean, Bill Maher, and that fraudulent hillbilly from Duck Dynasty didn't lose their jobs because the 1st Amendment doesn't exist. They lost their jobs because the people who didn't like what they said used their first amendment rights to whip enough people into a frenzy that their employers decided it would be a better PR move to cut them lose rather than face the backlash. Although in the case of the fake hillbilly I think there was enough backlash the other way to keep those khaki short and polo shirt wearing fakes on the air.

Edited by Drunkard

It's not a tough job. The forum polices itself. At least that's what I was told when someone wrote that I was happy to hear about the news of Rick's cancer.

People have strong emotions tied to different things, Rick and The City of Buffalo suffering is among those things. If I write something, and it upsets someone, my first instinct, much like yours, is to tell them that they misunderstood or that they are wrong for being upset. I try, with great effort and often unsuccessfully, to quash that instinct and have some empathy, to understand that they are indeed upset and that it is not within my authority to control when they are or are not upset. Usually this results in a better outcome, and a lot less defensive writing and hand wringing.

On the other hand, message boards are pretty much the palace of defensive writing and hand wringing.

Is this your first reference to the young man? It won't be my first. Now who's creepy?

But, two questions. Pegula lived four minutes from Derrick City? And how did the Panthers snow video make light of this man's death?

Let me be specific. What I find creepy (in the strict definition, as in "unsettling") is your insistence that someone is a DIMWIT for privately displaying and relaying normal human emotions on such a matter.

But i'm not telling you what to do: Keep bringing us Yosemite Terry the cartoon. By all means.

That's just me. If you don't like what I write, all I can say is ignore me.

I don't think it much matters whether it's 4 minutes (Bradford) or 20 minutes (Olean) -- the point, as I took it, was that, maybe, just maybe, Pegula heard the tragic and heroic story of how a war veteran who lived in Pegula's old stomping grounds (New York's southern tier/Penna's -- what -- Allegheny region?) died while engaged in a volunteer mission in Buffalo during the storm. The yarn was obviously based on a little imagination and some speculation, but it is more than a fair inference to have made. And, in any case, the inference is wholly consistent with how Pegula conducted himself in objecting to the video.

To the second question, a "ha ha Buffalo gets whacked by snow" video broadcast within mere weeks of a snow storm that killed 14 people is something that, arguably, insensitively makes light of a storm as well as the death and destruction it caused.

Someone posited it upthread: "Buffalo can go ahead and have an in-game video making fun of hurricanes . . . ." Jesus H. Christ - has something like that ever happened? No, it has not.

Point being: Poking fun at snowy weather is generally okay because snow storms are, for the most part, pretty chillaxed when it comes to natural disasters. Just follow the Jimmy Griffin advice, and you'll usually be okay. The Snowvember storm was an exception to that rule. And the fact that the Florida media team didn't get that was an error in judgment.

Oh, and, no worries -- you're still the undisputed champ.

Freedom of Speech is there to protect you from the government or the police from detaining or arresting you for speaking about whatever you so please, it's not there to protect you from a public backlash if your offensive comment gets put out there for the world to see and people want to chastise, boycott, or exercise their 1st Amendment right to condemn whatever you happened to have said.

Thanks for that.

I never understood this argument. Where are these people getting locked up in the US for offending people? No where because it's not happening. Freedom of Speech is there to protect you from the government or the police from detaining or arresting you for speaking about whatever you so please, it's not there to protect you from a public backlash if your offensive comment gets put out there for the world to see and people want to chastise, boycott, or exercise their 1st Amendment right to condemn whatever you happened to have said.

Paula Dean, Bill Maher, and that fraudulent hillbilly from Duck Dynasty didn't lose their jobs because the 1st Amendment doesn't exist. They lost their jobs because the people who didn't like what they said used their first amendment rights to whip enough people into a frenzy that their employers decided it would be a better PR move to cut them lose rather than face the backlash. Although in the case of the fake hillbilly I think there was enough backlash the other way to keep those khaki short and polo shirt wearing fakes on the air.

Let me put it in a sports version. This of course is hypothetical. Mike and Mike are discussing Ferguson. Golic makes a comment that what is happening in Ferguson is doing nothing but enhance the reputation of the scumbags that are looting and destroying businesses. Then adds if you want to be viewed equally then stop acting in a way that the white community would never do. Chris Carter is sitting there and looks mortified. "How dare you say that Golic". Then Golics bosses call him in and to follow political correctness probably suspend or fire him.

Ok, now that never happened. Instead, Chris Carter comes on and says the same damn thing Golic said. Greenberg says "well said Chris" and all is well.

The only thing that saved Phil Robertson was it was religion. At the end of the day the Catholic community is far stronger than the gay community. You think A&E didn't weigh which one would create the most backlash?

Edited by sicknfla

Point being: Poking fun at snowy weather is generally okay because snow storms are, for the most part, pretty chillaxed when it comes to natural disasters. Just follow the Jimmy Griffin advice, and you'll usually be okay. The Snowvember storm was an exception to that rule. And the fact that the Florida media team didn't get that was an error in judgment.

Maybe we should have a trial. I imagine the conversation in Sunrise went something like this: "Let's jab Buffalo about its weather, compared to us. Dakota, find some snow footage from up there. Didn't they just get buried?" I think it's a real leap to assume that Dakota and her boss knew that people died in the storm. We all live in our information bubbles. Was it a national story? In a sense, yes. But it wasn't Katrina or anything like that. Does it look bad in retrospect? Sure. Again, what some are proposing is that these videos should no longer be produced because someone will be offended. Stars in town? Buffalonians strolling at Canalside, average July high 78. Someone drenched in sweat in the Big D? Average high 96. Can't do it. People die in that heat.

Why do I keep clicking on this thread?

To see if I have responded to you.

Let me put it in a sports version. This of course is hypothetical. Mike and Mike are discussing Ferguson. Golic makes a comment that what is happening in Ferguson is doing nothing but enhance the reputation of the scumbags that are looting and destroying businesses. Then adds if you want to be viewed equally then stop acting in a way that the white community would never do. Chris Carter is sitting there and looks mortified. "How dare you say that Golic". Then Golics bosses call him in and to follow political correctness probably suspend or fire him.

Ok, now that never happened. Instead, Chris Carter comes on and says the same damn thing Golic said. Greenberg says "well said Chris" and all is well.

The only thing that saved Phil Robertson was it was religion. At the end of the day the Catholic community is far stronger than the gay community. You think A&E didn't weigh which one would create the most backlash?

How about a family setting? This is the same as your neighbors discussing your family issues and telling you what you should and should not do. You may agree with the neighbors but it's none of their business and they don't need to talk about it. (I'm not sure this is the best point I can make, but whatever)

Essentially, yes, it'd be wonderful if I can do and say whatever I want with no backlash. But since the world isn't that way (and never was, and never will be) we all just have to put our big-boy (and girl) pants on and realize that sometimes you just have to let things go. Or just not say negative things or judge others. Be happy and content with your life.

(Note that none of this is directed at anyone in particular, just in general)

Let me put it in a sports version.

The point being made was that it's wrong to conflate the idea of political correctness run amok with a loss or diminution of the right to free speech. The former is happening, for sure, all over the place. The latter isn't in play where, as here, there's no government agency involved.

Maybe we should have a trial.

Dear God, no.

Oh, and I visited CNN -- both tee-vee and .com -- frequently during the storm. That outlet regularly announced the body count from the storm. The storm -- and its death count -- were prominently featured national stories. If the in-house media production team in My-hammy didn't have their heads wrapped around that, then, well, they had those heads planted firmly elsewhere.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.