Pegula incensed with Florida Panthers

papazoid

Oh, and I visited CNN -- both tee-vee and .com -- frequently during the storm. That outlet regularly announced the body count from the storm. The storm -- and its death count -- were prominently featured national stories. If the in-house media production team in My-hammy didn't have their heads wrapped around that, then, well, they had those heads planted firmly elsewhere.

I know there were wildfires out west this summer. Do you know how many people, if any, died in them? I don't. Now, I wouldn't use footage of wildfires in a sports arena gag, because fire just ain't funny. Snow is pure, innocent, high-larious. As long as we agree no one from the Panthers' staff intended to make fun of people dying in a blizzard, we're good. I tend to believe based on Terry's response that he thought that's exactly what they were doing. Which would make him a dimwit, IMHO.

I know there were wildfires out west this summer. Do you know how many people, if any, died in them? I don't. Now, I wouldn't use footage of wildfires in a sports arena gag, because fire just ain't funny. Snow is pure, innocent, high-larious. As long as we agree no one from the Panthers' staff intended to make fun of people dying in a blizzard, we're good. I tend to believe based on Terry's response that he thought that's exactly what they were doing. Which would make him a dimwit, IMHO.

And i think with that post we can put this thread to rest.

Now, I wouldn't use footage of wildfires in a sports arena gag, because fire just ain't funny. Snow is pure, innocent, high-larious.

My colleague's neighbor would beg to differ, if he were still alive. I was told that he was a gem of a guy, who, yes, was a bit overweight and had a knee that needed replacing. He was one of the people who died in his car while sitting on I-90 waiting to be rescued. He made the mistake of running his vehicle to stay warm, without realizing that the pure, innocent, hilarious snow was clogging up his exhuast pipe, and poisoning him.

As long as we agree no one from the Panthers' staff intended to make fun of people dying in a blizzard, we're good.

Ahh, we're back to intent. There won't be a trial on this. Someone was grossly negligent, perhaps even reckless, in putting that video together. I do not believe that someone knowingly and with malice aforethought intended to mock storm victims. That's bad enough by me, and more than enough to warrant Pegula's barking at Tallon for the gaffe.

Give you another bit of perspective: I was rear-ended many moons ago when a young driver made an honest mistake in viewing a "yield" sign as a "merge" sign. Everyone was okay. The cars were a mess. When I got out of my car and for days thereafter, I was PLENTY heated at the young driver, despite her immediate and sincere protestations that she did not mean to do it, that it was an honest mistake.

Just because someone did not willfully do something to harm another person (or, in this case, offend them) doesn't mean that they don't deserve to have their pee-pee slapped.

Edited by That Aud Smell

Give you another bit of perspective: I was rear-ended many moons ago when a young driver made an honest mistake in viewing a "yield" sign as a "merge" sign. Everyone was okay. The cars were a mess. When I got out of my car and for days thereafter, I was PLENTY heated at the young driver, despite her immediate and sincere protestations that she did not mean to do it, that it was an honest mistake.

Just because someone did not willfully do something to harm another person (or, in this case, offend them) doesn't mean that they don't deserve to have their pee-pee slapped.

She had a pee-pee? You just glazed over the craziest part of your story.

Let me put it in a sports version. This of course is hypothetical. Mike and Mike are discussing Ferguson. Golic makes a comment that what is happening in Ferguson is doing nothing but enhance the reputation of the scumbags that are looting and destroying businesses. Then adds if you want to be viewed equally then stop acting in a way that the white community would never do. Chris Carter is sitting there and looks mortified. "How dare you say that Golic". Then Golics bosses call him in and to follow political correctness probably suspend or fire him.

Ok, now that never happened. Instead, Chris Carter comes on and says the same damn thing Golic said. Greenberg says "well said Chris" and all is well.

The only thing that saved Phil Robertson was it was religion. At the end of the day the Catholic community is far stronger than the gay community. You think A&E didn't weigh which one would create the most backlash?

What does any of that have to do with the first amendment though? The 1st Amendment is there to protect you from the government and/or police from arresting you for using inflammatory speech, it's not there to protect against a public backlash. The ability to have a backlash for controversial comments is just another example of free speech at work. The private business is 100% within their rights to hire/fire whomever they choose and if they want to cower to public pressure they can do so and if they want to try to ride out the storm/backlash they can do so.

I think you are getting confused. You want to piss and moan about political correctness not the 1st Amendment because saying nonsense like we don't have free speech anymore is ludicrous. Somebody saying something that ruffles feathers and getting fired by a private business because enough people complained is not a violation of free speech in any way, shape, or form.

You're right, dammit. :wallbash:

You can set your user preferences to let you know when someone responds / quotes one of your posts, ya know?

That way you don't have to read a whole thread, but can go right to the respondents post.

The feature is a beaut, all right.

What does any of that have to do with the first amendment though? The 1st Amendment is there to protect you from the government and/or police from arresting you for using inflammatory speech, it's not there to protect against a public backlash. The ability to have a backlash for controversial comments is just another example of free speech at work. The private business is 100% within their rights to hire/fire whomever they choose and if they want to cower to public pressure they can do so and if they want to try to ride out the storm/backlash they can do so.

I think you are getting confused. You want to piss and moan about political correctness not the 1st Amendment because saying nonsense like we don't have free speech anymore is ludicrous. Somebody saying something that ruffles feathers and getting fired by a private business because enough people complained is not a violation of free speech in any way, shape, or form.

I am going to echo Liger on this.

How about a family setting? This is the same as your neighbors discussing your family issues and telling you what you should and should not do. You may agree with the neighbors but it's none of their business and they don't need to talk about it. (I'm not sure this is the best point I can make, but whatever)

Essentially, yes, it'd be wonderful if I can do and say whatever I want with no backlash. But since the world isn't that way (and never was, and never will be) we all just have to put our big-boy (and girl) pants on and realize that sometimes you just have to let things go. Or just not say negative things or judge others. Be happy and content with your life.

(Note that none of this is directed at anyone in particular, just in general)

That line seems to keep getting lower and lower to the point where people don't even say something intentionally to offend, yet somebody needs to get offended while seeking an apology. 'Offensive' used to be where somebody deliberately came out and intentionally tried to upset somebody with their words. It seems as though it has become popular to be offended by something. It's going to get to the point where I won't be able to wear jeans because somebody is offended by the color blue.

Danger, I developed severe depression when I was 13 and read the diary of Anne Frank. I had a huge crush on her. I have a jew frow and still feel the pain of the holocaust with every flutter of wind that rustles my beautiful curls. Your post put me over the deep end. I'm committing Seppuku with the Shamash on the 24th.

Let me put it in a sports version. This of course is hypothetical. Mike and Mike are discussing Ferguson. Golic makes a comment that what is happening in Ferguson is doing nothing but enhance the reputation of the scumbags that are looting and destroying businesses. Then adds if you want to be viewed equally then stop acting in a way that the white community would never do. Chris Carter is sitting there and looks mortified. "How dare you say that Golic". Then Golics bosses call him in and to follow political correctness probably suspend or fire him.

Ok, now that never happened. Instead, Chris Carter comes on and says the same damn thing Golic said. Greenberg says "well said Chris" and all is well.

The only thing that saved Phil Robertson was it was religion. At the end of the day the Catholic community is far stronger than the gay community. You think A&E didn't weigh which one would create the most backlash?

Good points.

Danger, I developed severe depression when I was 13 and read the diary of Anne Frank. I had a huge crush on her. I have a jew frow and still feel the pain of the holocaust with every flutter of wind that rustles my beautiful curls. Your post put me over the deep end. I'm committing Seppuku with the Shamash on the 24th.

I can never solve those things. Have Shamash text me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.