Empire Sports Network? Nope. "MSG Western New York"

MBHockey13

I wonder how many people in Buffalo even knew that last night's UB game was televised. I have WGR on at my desk all day long; had no idea. I was at a sports bar for a little while last night; the UB game wasn't on. And I would have watched it.

I had no idea they were even playing.

Well you know now. Two more games left: Wed 11/19 8pm on either ESPN2 or ESPNU vs Kent State, then a "Black Friday" 11/28 game at UMASS on ESPNU. Time TBA. Oh and UB men's basketball plays Kentucky (yes the Kentucky in last year's Final Four) this Sunday at 12 noon on ESPNU.

I have WGR on at my desk all day long; had no idea.

LOL me too. I've taken to listening to Rich Gensler at Noon. He's pretty good and would be so much than Schopp the dope and ha ha bulldog. And music when I cant take Gr's garbage anymore.

LOL me too. I've taken to listening to Rich Gensler at Noon. He's pretty good and would be so much than Schopp the dope and ha ha bulldog. And music when I cant take Gr's garbage anymore.

Gensler's show is the best in the city....by far. Way better than the garbage on GR. I only wish they'd boost the signal strength.

It would have to be Fox Sports type challenge.

That would give you access to the reruns of the World Poker Tour and college football games.

You could also do a deal with OHL to broadcast some of their games, Erie for now and perhaps a local team.

Certainly would be sweet.

However, I see this as very unlikely.

Though personally, I'd love to see a challenge that had poker on 24/7, but ...

Maybe they could bring back Art Wander and Larry Felser for a new version of the "Hot Stove".

Well, Larry Felser passed away a couple of years ago, so if they are able to bring him back, they probably won't have any financial worries.

On a more serious note: UB basketball is developing into a respectable program and would also be good programming -- but I'd guess that its conference already has a TV deal.

It would have to be Fox Sports type challenge.

That would give you access to the reruns of the World Poker Tour and college football games.

You could also do a deal with OHL to broadcast some of their games, Erie for now and perhaps a local team.

Certainly would be sweet.

However, I see this as very unlikely.

Though personally, I'd love to see a challenge that had poker on 24/7, but ...

If you look at the regional sports listing for DirecTV there are several independent and small network sports channels including:

681 Altitude Sports & Entertainment

696 Comcast SportsNet Bay Area

698 Comcast SportsNet California

665 Comcast SportsNet Chicago

642 Comcast SportsNet Mid-Atlantic

630 Comcast SportsNet New England

640 Mid-Atlantic Sports Network

628 New England Sports Network

687 ROOT Sports Northwest

659 ROOT Sports Pittsburgh

683 ROOT Sports Rocky Mountain

649 SportSouth

662 SportsTime Ohio (RSN)

653 Sun Sports

Upon a little digging, I see that ROOT Sports is basically a front for DirecTV ownership. If TPegs wanted to differentiate the Buffalo market from NYC, he could join in with ROOTS (which Houston is in the process of doing; they will be ROOTS as of Monday, 11/17). From the Wiki for ROOT Sports,

The networks would, according to then DirecTV Sports Networks President/CEO Mark Shuken, have a "mindset" that "enables us to go from simply covering teams and games to providing an immersive experience as a fan and for the fan." The introduction of Root Sports was also intended to signify a form of independence from FSN; however, the Root Sports networks will maintain their current affiliations with the system.

So it looks like the idea is to have locally oriented sports coverage with access to some Fox Sports programming to fill out the broadcast schedule without being totally swallowed up by Fox.

Promo, guess what I'm trying to watch while at work? And guess what's not on ESPNWatch app or ESPN3? Aggravating.

You probably missed the memo that the game was cancelled, and the basketball game tonight as well. You're aggravated? I've have my first free Friday in months and I was planning to watch UB and Sabres all day. Now I've got nada. Stupid snow.

You probably missed the memo that the game was cancelled, and the basketball game tonight as well. You're aggravated? I've have my first free Friday in months and I was planning to watch UB and Sabres all day. Now I've got nada. Stupid snow.

I did miss that memo. Oh well.

• 6 months later...

659 ROOT Sports Pittsburgh

With the Pittsburgh connection further highlighted by the hire of Bylsma, and some of the related coverage discussing Pittsburgh connections (Whaley used to be a Steelers guy), and TPeg's Western PA roots, I keep coming back to this.  Let TPegs reboot a Buffalo regional network, but maybe he can woo the Pittsburgh market in.  The advantage is that Ptitsburgh is an adjoining market so local secondary programming (small college, minor league, and high school sports) could be shared between the two markets to help fill out the schedule.  I think it would be more of a partnership of equals than the NYC-centric MSG network is now.

With the Pittsburgh connection further highlighted by the hire of Bylsma, and some of the related coverage discussing Pittsburgh connections (Whaley used to be a Steelers guy), and TPeg's Western PA roots, I keep coming back to this.  Let TPegs reboot a Buffalo regional network, but maybe he can woo the Pittsburgh market in.  The advantage is that Ptitsburgh is an adjoining market so local secondary programming (small college, minor league, and high school sports) could be shared between the two markets to help fill out the schedule.  I think it would be more of a partnership of equals than the NYC-centric MSG network is now.

Nicely done!

• 1 year later...

It says Murphy's show will be from 10am until 3pm in the article..but it also says Hockey Hotline will 'keep' its 10am to noon slot.  Obviously that can't work as there is overlap there.

Is it a mis-print or error in the article...with Murphy's show being noon to 3, and hockey hotline staying at 10-noon?  Or will Murphy get 10am-3 during football season (or at least training camp), and Hockey Hotline being off the air until the season starts?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.