Empire Sports Network? Nope. "MSG Western New York"

MBHockey13

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/buffalo-sabres-next-team-launch-rsn.html

Someone did make the point that with Pegula now owning the Sabres, Bills, Bandits, and Amerks, along with maybe a junior team in a couple of years, they'll have plenty of product. Throw in Canisius hockey, regional college basketball and hockey, UB football, and anything going on down at Harbor Center, and you could have a pretty awesome network.

Unless people will miss seeing Spike Lee break down the Knicks offense.

Extremely doubtful it comes back. It possibly could come back as a variant on a Fox Sports Buffalo sort of basis. Too much up front costs to set up another fully self contained network if the goal is pofitability.

Empire and WNSA should never have been killed. There was a legit offer.

There's not enough content, especially during the summer months.

While I understand the sentiment, I feel like it could work if the proper resources are brought together. Without a good understanding of the logistics, I'll list sporting events that could be covered.

sabres (when MSN deal is done)

Amerks

Juniors Teams with Sabres projects or top prospects especially when Sabres suck

ub football

All local college

Indoor Lax

All Harbor Center Events

Bison &, Red Wing games

Any talk shows about local sports - I've seen a few renditions of these shows on time warner sports network or YNN

While I understand the sentiment, I feel like it could work if the proper resources are brought together. Without a good understanding of the logistics, I'll list sporting events that could be covered.

sabres (when MSN deal is done)

Amerks

Juniors Teams with Sabres projects or top prospects especially when Sabres suck

ub football

All local college

Indoor Lax

All Harbor Center Events

Bison &, Red Wing games

Any talk shows about local sports - I've seen a few renditions of these shows on time warner sports network or YNN

Jackals!

Actually the Erie Otters and the Ice Dogs would give it some reach too.

Edited by X. Benedict

A WNY sports network could work.

(This is basically going to be like Ink's post):

All Sabres games

Amerks games

Bandits games

Bisons games

St. Bonaventure (who have TV rights available outside of A-10 commitments)

Canisius (hello college hockey)

UB

Niagara

Maybe even go just outside of the area for the Otters.

Bills and the rest of these teams will have content to fill some live shows.

There's not enough content, especially during the summer months.

I think they should buy the station that is showing reruns and Bucky & Sully WBBZ. They would have that show, the Fred show, make a couple new ones, simulcast wgr morning and afternoon shows, Hockey show and John Murphy shows and for content filler replay it and or create their versions of that. I disagree with you that their isn't enough content to do it. They may have to get creative to do it but they certainly could imo.

I think they should buy the station that is showing reruns and Bucky & Sully WBBZ. They would have that show, the Fred show, make a couple new ones, simulcast wgr morning and afternoon shows, Hockey show and John Murphy shows and for content filler replay it and or create their versions of that. I disagree with you that their isn't enough content to do it. They may have to get creative to do it but they certainly could imo.

If you're going that route there's definitely not enough content. Going to need more than hockey.

For increased summer programming they could broadcast Bisons Games, and since the Bisons are their AAA Team, perhaps Blue Jay Games as well

Would showing Bisons games as the 'primary' show in the summer allow them to even sell enough advertising to cover fixed costs?

Sabres games & ancillary programming and Bills ancillary programming could, isolated by themselves, make money. Would that be enough to cover the non-money makers?

Would showing Bisons games as the 'primary' show in the summer allow them to even sell enough advertising to cover fixed costs?

Sabres games & ancillary programming and Bills ancillary programming could, isolated by themselves, make money. Would that be enough to cover the non-money makers?

Why not give some players some reality TV shows to act as "fluff" during the off-season. Maybe force Kiko and Girgensons to be roommates for a summer and put the cameras on them, 24/7. I'd probably watch that.

Or maybe have a "Punk'd"-eque show where someone follows around Leino and throws eggs at him, keys his car twice a week or maybe even cold-###### him just for the f of it? I'd probably watch that too.

Two and a Half Tylers

This made me literally laugh out loud.

And as far as the Pegulas owning an OHL team, I think I've seen in a couple of places that Terry was looking at buying the Erie Otters and moving them to the Harbor Center but his owning the Bills precludes that ownership for a couple of years.

Remember Jennifer Smith - Doug Moss's "girlfriend"? I just saw her resurface hosting some web show about retired football players overcoming their concussions.

http://www.jensmithonline.com/

I still remember the Sabres show on Empire where they dunked her in the dunk tank while she was wearing a white top.

This made me literally laugh out loud.

And as far as the Pegulas owning an OHL team, I think I've seen in a couple of places that Terry was looking at buying the Erie Otters and moving them to the Harbor Center but his owning the Bills precludes that ownership for a couple of years.

Remember Jennifer Smith - Doug Moss's "girlfriend"? I just saw her resurface hosting some web show about retired football players overcoming their concussions.

http://www.jensmithonline.com/

I still remember the Sabres show on Empire where they dunked her in the dunk tank while she was wearing a white top.

Never going to happen. You can't have an OHL team playing in a 1800 seat arena.

For increased summer programming they could broadcast Bisons Games, and since the Bisons are their AAA Team, perhaps Blue Jay Games as well

I would be in for sure if they broadcast Blue Jay games. I still can't understand why Buffalo gets regional coverae of Yankees and Mets games but don't get the F'N Blue Jays which are a short drive to Toronto. And now the Bisons are the AAA affiliates so it makes even more sense. Just simulcast the SportsNet Ontario broadcast. Regionalization for the Jays similar to what the Bills do wih southern Ontario fans.

I would be in for sure if they broadcast Blue Jay games. I still can't understand why Buffalo gets regional coverae of Yankees and Mets games but don't get the F'N Blue Jays which are a short drive to Toronto. And now the Bisons are the AAA affiliates so it makes even more sense. Just simulcast the SportsNet Ontario broadcast. Regionalization for the Jays similar to what the Bills do wih southern Ontario fans.

Hell if they have so few options, see if they can just simulcast a Canadian channel

I don't think the Bisons could cover costs, but if we're playing the long game here, would televising their games increase interest to the point it could break even in the future and maybe have a positive impact on ticket sales? I'm always sad watching highlights to see the ballpark mostly empty, and since I'm not responsible for absorbing the losses, I'd love to see the gamed on TV if it would increase interest and ticket sales.

I don't think the Bisons could cover costs, but if we're playing the long game here, would televising their games increase interest to the point it could break even in the future and maybe have a positive impact on ticket sales? I'm always sad watching highlights to see the ballpark mostly empty, and since I'm not responsible for absorbing the losses, I'd love to see the gamed on TV if it would increase interest and ticket sales.

Truly doubt that it would. It's AAA baseball and there isn't an underlying pent up demand for minor league baseball. The 1 way it MIGHT move the needle is if people believed Buffalo had a shot at getting an MLB franchise. The place was packed when it was brand new and Bob Rich had people believing he could get one of the expansion teams that ultimately went to Miami and Denver.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.