Cody Hodgson

darksabre

If he's helping with the tank, then he must stay right here.

Absolutely! He must stay until the end of the year. He is essential to the Sabres dive to the bottom. I'm serious.

Be honest, this year is a write-off. The most important thing the Sabres can accomplish is getting a legit shot at one of the top two draft prospects. McDavid on the Sabres would make this year worth it. It is true that Hodgson, Stafford and a few others are dead weight, but if the Sabres get McDavid because of them, it was worth keeping them around until at least the trade deadline or the end of the year.

Edmonton will go down in history. How can one team get so many top draft picks and still be so bad!!!

I hate Hodgson as much as the next Sabrespacer and am not making excuses for him.

But I have to wonder if the Sabres brass is starting to wonder about the way the coaching staff has handled him.

He's always been lazy and bad defensively, but he has also shown good offensive skill and awareness.

We've always been mad at him even though he could score 20 goals and 40 points because he left us wanting more in other areas.

Now he can't score at all. He is literally useless, with an untradable contract. He's too young to have lost it.

Ted Nolan has been big on preaching letting players play their game, but he hasn't done that with Hodgson.

He's been bounced around between wing and centre, he's been told to pay more attention to defense, told to battle more in the corners, told to become a shooter. He's not been given a chance on the first-unit power play, or an extended period of time with talented wingers who can complement his skills and think the game like he can.

Now he hasn't earned any of that either, but I bet there are a good number of GMs and scouts out there who would point to Hodgson as a squandered asset. He certainly isn't a Nolan kind of player, but should Murray be worried this pattern could repeat itself with other cerebral young talent (read Reinhart, Girgorenko and Eichel)?

It's something to think about.

Edited by dudacek

I hate Hodgson as much as the next Sabrespacer and am not making excuses for him.

But I have to wonder if the Sabres brass is starting to wonder about the way the coaching staff has handled him.

He's always been lazy and bad defensively, but he has also shown good offensive skill and awareness.

We've always been mad at him even though he could score 20 goals and 40 points bcause he left us wanting more in other areas.

Now he can't score at all. He is literally useless, with an untradable contract. He's too young to have lost it.

Ted Nolan has been big on preaching letting players play their game, but he hasn't done that with Hodgson.

He's been bounced around between wing and centre, he's been told to pay more attention to defense, told to battle more in the corners, told to become a shooter. He's not been given a chance on the first-unit power play, or an extended period of time with talented wingers who can complement his skills and think the game like he can.

Now he hasn't earned any of that either, but I bet there are a good number of GMs and scouts out there who would point to Hodgson as a squandered asset. He certainly isn't a Nolan kind of player, but should Murray be worried this pattern could repeat itself with other cerebral young talent (read Reinhart, Girgorenko and Eichel)?

The problem is that Hodgson doesn't have a game for Nolan to let him play. He's just like the Minnesota Wild, lacking identity. He has no clue what he's doing.

The problem is that Hodgson doesn't have a game for Nolan to let him play. He's just like the Minnesota Wild, lacking identity. He has no clue what he's doing.

You're right, but that's my point. He used to have a game; it was kinda John Tavares-light.

Where did that go?

We've always been mad at him even though he could score 20 goals and 40 points because he left us wanting more in other areas.

I don't think Nolan makes it to this time next year, barring some sort of gigantic improvement. I honestly don't believe Murray wanted to be a ton better this season, but I'm virtually certain he didn't think we'd be worse than last season (which we are, by every metric except the standings where we're equal to last year).

Perhaps Moulson needs to play with Hodgson then?

I think they should give it a shot. It's not like it would ruin some great chemistry Moulson has with anyone else right now.

This thread title is garbage. We all know Hogson can afford to buy a vowel with that big contract considering he definitely isn't spending any money on hockey lessons.

Props on this. :)

That being said, the current name in the title (Cy Hoosn) has way too much O.