Cody Hodgson

darksabre

I like how you removed the *d*.

There is no room for any *d*s, or *o*s in his name.

He has 2 goals this year, so he can keep the G. FOR NOW.

I actually try to make a point of noticing him, and sadly, the work ethic is there, at least relative to the rest of the team. He goes into the corners, he digs for the puck. He does, contrary to popular belief, deliver checks. The net result though is totally ineffective. I'm not sure if it's lack of talent, lack of vision or what. He's the perfect player for the tank. Looks like he's trying but it just doesn't matter.

I've noticed that too, he looks at times like he's playing and even taking the body. They're not Kaleta missle-style hits or anything, but he'll hit a guy trying to get puck.

It's almost like he needs a Center to get him the puck in open lanes... wait this sounds exactly like a Moulson post. Basically we need more talent because Crusty can't create it on his own.

Sadly, Hodgson was supposes to be a center to help create offense. A major fail of the Regier Regime. .

There's just nothing to his game, He can't control the puck, he can't dangle anyone, he only hits the net in the shootout. He's not a hockey player.

Hodgson has talent, just not the heart to compete at this level. There was a reason why the Canucks couldn't wait to get rid of him.

Sadly, Hodgson was supposes to be a center to help create offense. A major fail of the Regier Regime. .

Hodgson has talent, just not the heart to compete at this level. There was a reason why the Canucks couldn't wait to get rid of him.

I agree on both points. It remains to be seen if that player with that contract is tradable. Fukc you very much Darcy !

Im thinking it might be the opposite. He competes hard, goes to the right places. He may not have the talent, a quarter second late to the play, is still late.

Im thinking it might be the opposite. He competes hard, goes to the right places. He may not have the talent, a quarter second late to the play, is still late.

I think this is more the case. He just doesn't have the physical stature. He's so soft. He knows where to go but he can't do anything when he gets there.

I think this is more the case. He just doesn't have the physical stature. He's so soft. He knows where to go but he can't do anything when he gets there.

50 goals and 120 points over his first 3 seasons. The talent is there. If there is a problem it's in the heart and in the head. The only thing I ever thought Hodgson brought to any team was his natural offensive talent. IMO, the game has gotten too hard for Hodgson and he is not willing to put the work in to make it happen. It's not like Hodgson is creating but the points just aren't coming. Most nights he isn't noticeable. Hodgson has played om 44 of the Sabres game. I has to look that up because I could have sworn he has missed more games this season.

I have no doubt that the circumstances the Sabres are currently under provides an excuse for any player that is wants to take. Money aside, this franchise has made a huge commitment to Cody Hodgson and Hodgson has pretty much bailed on the team. He's not may favorite player, but he sure is a hell of a lot better than 2 goals and 4 assists over 44 games no matter who his linemates are. He just has to wan to be.

Edited by DeLuca1967

50 goals and 120 points over his first 3 seasons. The talent is there. If there is a problem it's in the heart and in the head. The only thing I ever thought Hodgson brought to any team was his natural offensive talent. IMO, the game has gotten too hard for Hodgson and he is not willing to put the work in to make it happen. It's not like Hodgson is creating but the points just aren't coming. Most nights he isn't noticeable. Hodgson has played om 44 of the Sabres game. I has to look that up because I could have sworn he has missed more games this season.

I have no doubt that the circumstances the Sabres are currently under provides an excuse for any player that is wants to take. Money aside, this franchise has made a huge commitment to Cody Hodgson and Hodgson has pretty much bailed on the team. He's not may favorite player, but he sure is a hell of a lot better than 2 goals and 4 assists over 44 games no matter who his linemates are. He just has to wan to be.

Hodgson is an excellent player to have with the puck on his stick, or at least has been in the past. Except the Sabres rarely or never have the puck on their stick. Possession numbers bear this out. Hodgson isn't the guy to have on the ice to retrieve the puck either.. He might try like hell, but he's not good at it.

I think he's trying. Trying like hell. He's just not there.

Hodgson is an excellent player to have with the puck on his stick, or at least has been in the past. Except the Sabres rarely or never have the puck on their stick. Possession numbers bear this out. Hodgson isn't the guy to have on the ice to retrieve the puck either.. He might try like hell, but he's not good at it.

I think he and Moulson are having exactly the same problem: they are smart enough and talented enough to play well with players that buy them time and space. They aren't strong enough or fast enough to create that time and space themselves.

This has been compounded by the fact they are used to putting up numbers and because they aren't, their confidence has been completely shot, so they are whiffing on the opportunities they do get.

Edited by dudacek

Honest question. If this is the case, how can anyone think getting McDavid next year is going to do anything but a blip on the overall performance of the team? I've always been of the mindset that you can add Caviar to Sh!t Stew.......but it's still going to taste like Sh!t Stew.....

You need to scrub the pot clean....maybe even throw it out. The Sabres brass has been so slow in identifying the problem, that the gradual fix attempt has possibly set them up for a 10 year run of futility from the time Pegula bought the team.

I'm also a little disappointed the thread title is still the same. I'd like to nominate, "Chlamydia Handj0b"

Honest question. If this is the case, how can anyone think getting McDavid next year is going to do anything but a blip on the overall performance of the team? I've always been of the mindset that you can add Caviar to Sh!t Stew.......but it's still going to taste like Sh!t Stew.....

You need to scrub the pot clean....maybe even throw it out. The Sabres brass has been so slow in identifying the problem, that the gradual fix attempt has possibly set them up for a 10 year run of futility from the time Pegula bought the team.

I'm also a little disappointed the thread title is still the same. I'd like to nominate, "Chlamydia Handj0b"

Have you seen how fast McDavid is? And how fast he plays with possession?

He is going to change an entire teams profile.

Have you seen how fast McDavid is? And how fast he plays with possession?

He is going to change an entire teams profile.

I don't understand that concept given Hodgson's example.

You say he has the talent. He was on a top 8 team for a few years and scored 20 goals as a youngin'

He is worthless here, yet is supposedly trying.

I'm not comparing him to McDavid on a talent level, I am saying with a black hole that can suck Hodgson down to worthless, why should I expect that black hole not to at least keep someone like McDavid, treading water at best? Especially when it is an 18 year old kid? Just look at Reinhart. Joe Reekie could have been out there for him.

I don't understand that concept given Hodgson's example.

You say he has the talent. He was on a top 8 team for a few years and scored 20 goals as a youngin'

He is worthless here, yet is supposedly trying.

I'm not comparing him to McDavid on a talent level, I am saying with a black hole that can suck Hodgson down to worthless, why should I expect that black hole not to at least keep someone like McDavid, treading water at best? Especially when it is an 18 year old kid? Just look at Reinhart. Joe Reekie could have been out there for him.

It is not a very grand theory.

Hodgson has been limited by his inability to gain possession.

His skating is fine. He's just too slow. And he's on a team unable to gain possession altogether.

McDavid is pretty damn fast. He's on the puck every shift.

You can build a line around him.

It is not a very grand theory.

Hodgson has been limited by his inability to gain possession.

His skating is fine. He's just too slow. And he's on a team unable to gain possession altogether.

McDavid is pretty damn fast. He's on the puck every shift.

You can build a line around him.

So was Reinhart worthless at this level so far because he is too slow?

Reinhart doesn't have an explosive step. But he can keep up. Like Brad Richards maybe. Mostly he just needs to fill out to stand up for a heavier game. He's not going to be going past people like Mogilny, that's for sure.

I'm just trying to reconcile how some guys considered to have good offensive talent are worthless on this team, but how an 18 year old can be successful and assumed to raise the level and outcomes of the team in short order. I'm pretty much expecting this team to be 5 years away from any real chance if we hit prospects. God help you if it isn't McDavid.

I'm just trying to reconcile how some guys considered to have good offensive talent are worthless on this team, but how an 18 year old can be successful and assumed to raise the level and outcomes of the team in short order. I'm pretty much expecting this team to be 5 years away from any real chance if we hit prospects. God help you if it isn't McDavid.

Hodgson to Reinhart and whoever we draft this year is just a monumental leap in talent. It's the same reason that somebody like Derek Roy could be a valuable piece of a Cup contender in the right role, but when asked to lug the mail, he leads a fringe playoff team.

If it takes this team five years from now to be competitive, then Murray has failed.

Hodgson to Reinhart and whoever we draft this year is just a monumental leap in talent. It's the same reason that somebody like Derek Roy could be a valuable piece of a Cup contender in the right role, but when asked to lug the mail, he leads a fringe playoff team.

If it takes this team five years from now to be competitive, then Murray has failed.

But if Hodgson or Roy is a 6.5/10 on a good team.....and a 3/10 on a bad one......even if McDavid is a 10/10.....and that will probably take 5 years to see.....why won't he be a 6.5/10 and maybe add 5 points in the standings to this team?

I'm not arguing individual talent. I'm just really thinking that the fly paper is way too sticky for this franchise right now. A 3 standard deviation in acceleration of improvement probably puts the team in 10th place.

Yes... but slow meaning his brain. He was struggling because he was adjusting to the speed of play and his head has to recalculate that compared to what he is use to. Sam will be fine after a full NHL season. He is a very intelligent hard working player.

But if Hodgson or Roy is a 6.5/10 on a good team.....and a 3/10 on a bad one......even if McDavid is a 10/10.....and that will probably take 5 years to see.....why won't he be a 6.5/10 and maybe add 5 points in the standings to this team?

I'm not arguing individual talent. I'm just really thinking that the fly paper is way too sticky for this franchise right now. A 3 standard deviation in acceleration of improvement probably puts the team in 10th place.

First off, I have no idea why you think it will take 5 years for him to be among the league's elite players--most top players are there in year two, if not as rookies. Secondly, because the relationship is conditional upon the talent of the player in question. There are guys who have to be in the right situation to produce, and guys who are the production drivers, allowing players like Hodgson and Roy to produce. The truly elite players get their production regardless of who they play with AND they raise the play of those who are lucky enough to be on their line. Crosby turned Dupuis into a 20 goal scorer. James Neal had four straight 20-goal seasons...first year with Malkin? 40. Over that span, Crosby and Malkin have put up the same numbers consistently when healthy. The point being, truly elite players don't see their numbers fluctuate based on who they're playing with, so McDavid or Eichel's value is not going to go down because the supporting cast stinks because their talent dictates they're the production drivers.