GDT - Anaheim @ Buffalo 3pm

inkman

Perhaps Nolan has a solution, but it better be something more than try harder.

“I mentioned to the guys yesterday, ‘Don’t confuse my patience with avoidance. Never do that,’” Nolan said. “It’s very frustrating to say the least, but we’ll sort this out and find out who really actually wants to play. If we have to play two lines and four defense, so be it.”

Has any coach ever followed through with the old, "We'll play the guys who really want to be here" threat? Also, "I'll turn this charter plane around!"

About the same time we hear in a player interview, "You know, I really didn't try very hard today at all. I just wasn't feeling it. I mean we were getting killed out there, so I mailed it in."

So I did my semi-usual thing of following one player. Tonight, it was Hodgson. He was in position all the time (apparently, Nolan wants BOTH wings available on the pass when in the Sabres' own zone, which explains a lot). He hit, he got hit, he was fine. He scrapped for pucks, he fought for pucks at blue lines, etc. HE REACHED FOR PASSES TO HIM. He was good.

Stafford, I only noticed once, and in a positive way. He actually went after a Duck to check him off of the puck in the first. He didn't succeed, but it was nice to see the effort from Contract Year.

Weber, one of our other favorite ######-ons on this board, was just a brute. He hit. And he hit. And he hit some more. Eventually, of course, he WAS hit, and well, there's the fight.

Samson looked like a genius playing with children. He constantly was in open ice, looking for that pass that his teammates just couldn't make. We're going to love this kid, and I mean it.

But overall? One player won't fix this team. It's not motivation; I remarked to my dad (I took him to the game) that they were trying hard but just didn't have the talent. It's a talent deficit, and it's huge. HUGE, think Billy Fucillo. This team is really, really bad.

The crowd was ridiculously reserved, and for good reason. At several points, I wished I had brought a good book to read or something. This is not a good hockey team, and McEichel isn't going to fix it. I'm almost hoping for a trade like the Phlyers did with the Nord/Avs for Lindros.

... Frankly I think Nolan has become too Zen. ...

I too believe in the power of the circle, which is the shape of a drum, which is what my head feels like after beating it against the great wall called sabrehockey, an ancient native word meaning "he who is a glutton for punishment."

GO BILLS!!!

I like watching Zemgus and the two Tylers...

They've played well.

Myers looks as good as he's ever looked. He really seems to enjoy being the puck mover in the pair.

Ennis has been solid in all areas. He and Reinhart deserve some time together on a line just for the hell of it.

Girgensons has better hands than expected and is doing what we expected from a Nolan coached player and Latvian team member. I'm not sure this team couldn't benefit from having a few if his teammates on it.

Neuvirth looked better tonight, not that it mattered one bit. But he looked better.

Weber, scapegoat that he has been, has performed well through these first few games. He's getting a pass from me.

Ennis - Reinhart - Zemgus I'd like to watch that line.

But unfortunately those are currently our top 3 centers. I guess I'll just have to wait until next year when we have Jack and Mikhail to center the other lines.

Eh we can just double shift them all. Ted says we're only going to roll two lines anyway right? :P

They've played well.

Myers looks as good as he's ever looked. He really seems to enjoy being the puck mover in the pair.

Ennis has been solid in all areas. He and Reinhart deserve some time together on a line just for the hell of it.

Girgensons has better hands than expected and is doing what we expected from a Nolan coached player and Latvian team member. I'm not sure this team couldn't benefit from having a few if his teammates on it.

Neuvirth looked better tonight, not that it mattered one bit. But he looked better.

Weber, scapegoat that he has been, has performed well through these first few games. He's getting a pass from me.

Besides Z and the Tylers, I'd also take Gorges and give Reinhart and Risto time to grow.

Everyone else can get off my ###### team.

Anyhoo. We all knew they'd be dreadful this year. Some believed that all those bodies TM added in the offseason just to make the floor would actually improve this team. If you read what the experts had to say about Buffaloes chances and the predictions of how we'd do those guys were spot on. Almost nobody had much improvement for this squad.

Count me amongst that group. I expected improvement. Not real happy about paying serious money for this. Again.

Besides Z and the Tylers, I'd also take Gorges and give Reinhart and Risto time to grow.

Everyone else can get off my ###### team.

I can agree with that but Reinhart still needs more junior time. He needs to get bigger and stronger. I been saying this for awhile now if Tampa can send down Droiun then Buffalo can Reinhart down. No need to rush him. Something is not right with this squad. I thought they would be improved. Not saying they should beat any of teams in the first three games but the shoot difference in all three games is a bad sign. To me your getting outshot big time and not getting enough pucks in their direction. I figured the defense would be better and that they would really improve Bufalo's breakout. And up to this point they have done neither.

Count me amongst that group. I expected improvement. Not real happy about paying serious money for this. Again.

I have tickets in Anaheim and Los Angeles thinking they would be somewhat better than last year and make it an entertaining game which they haven't done yet to this point. If I knew they were worse than last year I would have just saved my money and watched them on television.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

So I did my semi-usual thing of following one player. Tonight, it was Hodgson. He was in position all the time (apparently, Nolan wants BOTH wings available on the pass when in the Sabres' own zone, which explains a lot). He hit, he got hit, he was fine. He scrapped for pucks, he fought for pucks at blue lines, etc. HE REACHED FOR PASSES TO HIM. He was good.

Stafford, I only noticed once, and in a positive way. He actually went after a Duck to check him off of the puck in the first. He didn't succeed, but it was nice to see the effort from Contract Year.

Weber, one of our other favorite ######-ons on this board, was just a brute. He hit. And he hit. And he hit some more. Eventually, of course, he WAS hit, and well, there's the fight.

Samson looked like a genius playing with children. He constantly was in open ice, looking for that pass that his teammates just couldn't make. We're going to love this kid, and I mean it.

But overall? One player won't fix this team. It's not motivation; I remarked to my dad (I took him to the game) that they were trying hard but just didn't have the talent. It's a talent deficit, and it's huge. HUGE, think Billy Fucillo. This team is really, really bad.

The crowd was ridiculously reserved, and for good reason. At several points, I wished I had brought a good book to read or something. This is not a good hockey team, and McEichel isn't going to fix it. I'm almost hoping for a trade like the Phlyers did with the Nord/Avs for Lindros.

This is actually a really encouraging post, but I don't get the very last part. McEichel won't fix everything but he won't have to. We already have a ton of prospects on the way, along with three first rounders and two second rounders next June.

A top-2 pick sets us up better than we ever have been. But we should be taking steps forward starting next season no matter what.

This is actually a really encouraging post, but I don't get the very last part. McEichel won't fix everything but he won't have to. We already have a ton of prospects on the way, along with three first rounders and two second rounders next June.

A top-2 pick sets us up better than we ever have been. But we should be taking steps forward starting next season no matter what.

I agree as I think Grigs will be ready if not pissed off that he was sent down. Plus u think Reinhart will know what he needs to improve his game by getting a taste of the NHL this year.

My sentiments exactly.

My question is, what's GMTM going to do to improve the team? I mean, he can't be of the same stupid opinion like Regier, that you can just tank your way to succes, can he?

But, who are these picks and prospects going to play with, in order to develop?

Good players need to play with good players in order to improve, and this team has precious few of those.

Edited by Kristian

My question is, what's GMTM going to do to improve the team? I mean, he can't be of the same stupid opinion like Regier, that you can just tank your way to succes, can he?

Revisionist history? When did Regier do anything similar to this? Regier picked in the top five ONCE (Thomas Vanek) in 2003. Picked 8th in 2013. Other than that he was always outside of the top 10.

Revisionist history? When did Regier do anything similar to this? Regier picked in the top five ONCE (Thomas Vanek) in 2003. Picked 8th in 2013. Other than that he was always outside of the top 10.

What I meant was, that Regier introduced "the tank" in his last year here, trading assets for picks, stating there would be some time of "suffering" as the team improved through the draft.

This was after he realised he couldn't attract top players through free agency, regardless of TP's wallet, and incidently what finally got him fired.

Edited by Kristian

Tank, read the post, take a minute to think it through, then respond. Countless times you go on the attack and the poster has to waste time defending himself with an explaination to you that everyone else seems to be able to figure out what was meant.

The "pee wee" comment is an insult to his players. I am very interested in the comments being made here of Nolan's system or lack there of. I have a feeling Nolan may not be a placeholder as long as I originally thought.

With that start time most of the league probably saw that game.

Buffalo is going to equal "pad your stats" night.

The "pee wee" comment is an insult to his players. I am very interested in the comments being made here of Nolan's system or lack there of. I have a feeling Nolan may not be a placeholder as long as I originally thought.

I agree...maybe the veteran players brought in realize that Nolan's "system" of hard work doesn't cut it without an actual plan of how to play and get out of your own zone. If this team starts out 2-20...or whatever with continued play like yesterday...I believe Nolan is gone.

Edited by nucci

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.