Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

The sportsclubstats page still has us north of an 85% chance of finishing 30th. 

I continue to have faith. And hope.

Graham is a good writer; he gets pissed on on Twitter, and he shoots back with what he thinks are snappy comments.

Sometimes, the comments really are snappy and he is funny.  Other times, his comments fall flat.

This one appears to have fallen flat.

I think he does know how to string sentences together. And he's one of the few local guys who seem to have sources.

That said, I can't follow him on Twitter (I've followed and unfollowed a few times (now I just rely on others to RT his important stuff)) because what strikes you as snappy, strikes me as smug and self-satisfied. He's not on the Harrington level for me, but he's within shouting distance.

And, hey, speaking of those sources Graham has: He presumably cultivated them while working for/with ESPN. In the course of screwing up my face at one of his eyeroll-inducing Tweets (I know, I know - that means a pursed mug and rolled eyes - no mean trick), I have occasionally wondered how it was that he came to part ways with the worldwide leader in sports and found his way back to a gig with a sleepy mid-market paper.  

I can see the newly motivated Sabres going 3-3-1 or 4-2 (real record; not CHL) in the remaining games to pick up at least 7 points putting them at 57 or 58 for the season.  The Pens will be resting everyone they can that last game so the Sabres either win or at least pick up the OT point.  I can see the Coyotes losing out but maybe picking up a max of 2 points.  That would put them at 56 points for the season.

Doubtful.  3-2-1 or 4-2 seems fanciful when you watch this team play. Sports Club Stats give them an 89% chance to be the 30 seed.  Seems about right.

Edited by Devjid Drychovny

Toronto: 2-7-1 in their last 10

Chicago: 7-3 in their last 10

@ NYI: 3-6-1 in thier last 10

Carolina: 3-4-3 in thier last 10

@CBJ: 9-1 in their last 10

Pens: 4-5-1 in their last 10

Other notes: Of the 28 games Toronto has won, only 8 of those have been on the road. The Pens, Isles, and Blackhawks will be looking to get ready for the playoffs, and will take full advantage to hone their game against Buffalo. I don't even expect a loser point in any of those games, but it could happen. CBJ has told the media they're upset with the drop off they had this year, and about a month ago decided to make the most of it and play their ###### off for next year. 

We will beat Toronto, and to me, all that's left is the Canes, and not going into OT against the other 4 opponents. 

Edited by WildComrade

I can see the newly motivated Sabres going 3-2-1 or 4-2 (real record; not CHL) in the remaining games to pick up at least 7 points putting them at 57 or 58 for the season. The Pens will be resting everyone they can that last game so the Sabres either win or at least pick up the OT point. I can see the Coyotes losing out but maybe picking up a max of 2 points. That would put them at 56 points for the season.

You're not giving the Sabres nearly enough credit for how bad they are.

It will be an interesting finish.   Instead of cheering for BUF loses, I'm changing my strategy to cheering for ARI wins.    Two more ARI points (56)  means BUF has to get 7 points (57) to move out of 30th.   3 more ARI points, means BUF has to get 8 points out of a possible 12, highly unlikely.    

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHLlottery.html(switch to "weighted" at the top left) shows BUF with a 89% chance of finishing last.  The weighted version takes strength of opponent into consideration.

What may work in BUF's favor are ARI's opponents.   SJS is on the skids, they're only .500 at home, and they don't really have anything to play for at this point.   

VAN should have a spot locked up by the time they play, and ANA likely will have nothing to play for in the season finale at ARI.     

That said, Lindback looked good again last night.   That save on OEL that would've tied the game late was a great play, just barely got enough and had some help from the post.   If he comes back down to earth, the Sabres will be fine, otherwise he could ruin everything.

Edited by pi2000

I'm sorry but it's been mentioned a few times in here and I just don't get the notion of a playoff team laying down to the worst team in the league just before playoffs start when they should be getting into gear to make a run. Teams like San Jose and Toronto give up at this time, not Vancouver, Pitt, etc.

You're not giving the Sabres nearly enough credit for how bad they are.

The Sabres most likely will pull this off.

If they don't, my blame will go towards a powerplay that's scored 7 goals in the last 7 games. They only had 20 pp goals in the 1st 66 games.

Getting the powerplay to go stone cold again and sneaking a point or 2 against the Loafs would essentially clinch it. If the pp stays hot; they've got trouble. (PP's been clicking at a 28% clip.)

Edited by Taro T

The Sabres most likely will pull this off.

If they don't, my blame will go towards a powerplay that's scored 7 goals in the last 7 games. They only had 20 pp goals in the 1st 66 games.

Getting the powerplay to go stone cold again and sneaking a point or 2 against the Loafs would essentially clinch it. If the pp stays hot; they've got trouble.

And the odd thing was that the PP seemed to get hot when they put Ennis at the point. Now Ennis is out and the PP is still hot. Weird.

And the odd thing was that the PP seemed to get hot when they put Ennis at the point. Now Ennis is out and the PP is still hot. Weird.

True. They also are playing guys like Grigo and Hodgson on the PP too rather than grinders and Weber.

I'd claim that the pp improvement has resulted in at least 4, if not 5, wasted CHL points (not including the point it snatched from the grasp of the DD's in Buffalo).

I'm sorry but it's been mentioned a few times in here and I just don't get the notion of a playoff team laying down to the worst team in the league just before playoffs start when they should be getting into gear to make a run. Teams like San Jose and Toronto give up at this time, not Vancouver, Pitt, etc.

The teams that are already in might start resting players, I think that's the theory.

The teams that are already in might start resting players, I think that's the theory.

That only happens in the last game or two if their position is already locked up.   Fortunately, CHi, NYI, and PIT are fighting for home ice advantage.    You can also say the same for VAN and CGY (ARI opponents), but ANA might not have anything to play for in the finale at ARI... meaning they might leave Getzlaf and Perry, maybe Fowler, Lindholm and Anderson at home.           

I don't think teams do that the NHL, do they? I always thought it was more of an NFL thing. If they do I could see the last game maybe, but nothing before that

I don't think teams do that the NHL, do they? I always thought it was more of an NFL thing. If they do I could see the last game maybe, but nothing before that

Depends on how banged up they are and how old they are. It happens occassionally. Sabres vs Caps in last game of the season in the lockout year of '95 springs to mind.

It COULD happen, but wouldn't want to have money on the Ducks or Pens doing it this year.

A lot of how the end of season games play out is how the first round match ups' go.

IIRC, if the season ends today, the Caps and Rangers are a 1st round match up.

If the Pens loose the last game of the regular season and the Caps win, the first round match up might be Pens  vs. Rangers.

One would think that would be a huge motivational factor for the Pens to win that game.

Despite not having my normal freak out on here after last night's loss, I'm not feeling great about our chances. The Toronto game will likely dictate the rest of the season... If we beat them then we can basically give up because 1-4 the rest of the way ain't happening.

This is more fun than going for the Presidents trophy!  6 games left, so much on the line. I never thought that being the best team in the league could lead to such great games at the end of the season.

Do not SHART till you see the whites of their eyes!!

I know you are joking, and I'm not saying this is "fun"...but if we lose out on McEichel, I think I will take it worse than I did when the Sabres lost the Cup in 1999.  Now, the Cup would have been far more meaningful to me than any single player could be, but this McEichel process has been two years in the making.  They are the only two people who make the last two years--being the worst team in the NHL over that span, without equivocation--remotely tolerable.  They have been the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel.  Not getting them would be like being one step from heaven and then having to take the elevator downstairs to spend eternity with the Devil (and Brett Hull).

If we suffered for these two years and don't get Eichel, I will be...well, it just won't be pretty.  It's a sad statement on the Sabres' present condition, obviously, but if we end up drafting Straume or Marner I will be sick.  No offense to those kids, of course.

Edited by Sabrestrike

Despite not having my normal freak out on here after last night's loss, I'm not feeling great about our chances. The Toronto game will likely dictate the rest of the season... If we beat them then we can basically give up because 1-4 the rest of the way ain't happening.

You should feel great about our chances. The only reason you shouldn't feel great is "because Buffalo." If you want to put your faith in that, so be it, but every way you can look at the numbers we have a better chance of finishing 30th than we do 29th.

You should feel great about our chances. The only reason you shouldn't feel great is "because Buffalo." If you want to put your faith in that, so be it, but every way you can look at the numbers we have a better chance of finishing 30th than we do 29th.

No, it's not "because Buffalo" for me. It's because I've watched this team all season and know that they're capable of easily winning again Toronto and Carolina. A point in any other game and it's over (I don't see Arizona getting another point from here on out).

For all the "voice of reason" stuff out there... Here's why you should be freaking out:

- 4 of 6 at home for Buffalo. They've gotten 29 points in 37 home games (.8 PPG - 3 points in 4 games projected)

- 3-4-1 with a -12 goal differential (-9 of which is against Pittsburgh) against remaining opponents (5 points projected)

Edited by Tank

No, it's not "because Buffalo" for me. It's because I've watched this team all season and know that they're capable of easily winning again Toronto and Carolina. A point in any other game and it's over (I don't see Arizona getting another point from here on out).

I'd be shocked if they don't at least get to OT once against the Snarks if not outright winning 1. The rest are more problematic but not impossible.

Looks like some of the heavy duty tankers are ready to abandon the tank, or are thinking that it is futile.

Most of you would have gladly taken a split with the arch rival Coyotes, at least that is what I remember reading in this thread.  The Sabres are exactly where they were before the pivotal 2 game series with the Coyotes, but with fewer games left to be played.

When the biggest fancy stat guy (I say that with the utmost respect) around here says that this thing is virtually in the bag I would think that you guys would / should listen to him.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS