Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

As much as anything, we need a defenseman who can run the point on the power play. Our first power play unit d-men (Myers and Gorges) have a grand total of 2 power play points between them. Awful. By comparison, Keith Yandle (who is on the trade block supposedly) has 19 power play points. If we had a decent point guy, I think we'd see a lot more out of Moulson and Ennis on the power play.

So my trade wish list includes an offensive-minded defenseman. Even if it is a 3rd pairing guy. I'll go out on a limb and suggest that is what Murray had in mind when he picked up Meszaros. But, Meszaros is... a mess.

Myers is gone.

Thanks Bob.

My guess is that this was a backscratch special because Murray is trying to squeeze Detroit for that last ounce of OJ, and make it known to the rest that the Ebay bidding closes in the next few weeks.

Not clear if you mean this is a done deal, or that it is a false deal floated because Murray has another offer he will take unless this story pushes someone to beat it.

Either way, could be.

Not clear if you mean this is a done deal, or that it is a false deal floated because Murray has another offer he will take unless this story pushes someone to beat it.

Either way, could be.

Yeah....

Bob just spent thousands of characters and probably an hour of actual writing on this......and who was the only player mentioned the whole time besides the "feature" of the article who was presented as a potential complicated situation?

My guess....Buffalo and Colorado having discussions. Colorado interested in ROR, but wants a throw in. Bob spends 1/2 the article trying to show how complicated ROR's situation is, then the other half only talking about Myers and his potential.

Article serves multiple purposes for Buffalo:

1) Gives impression that ROR is not worth his contract and should be knocked on his trade value given pending UFA in 1.5 years

2) Pumps Myers as a "young shutdown defenseman with #1 pairing offensive upside", and touts his contract as a deal

3) Lets the league know discussion is going on and if Detroit thinks they are getting away with Tatar and a 2nd for Myers....they should re-evaluate because he is hot goods and could get a #1-2 center in return

4) The more national talk of Myers being traded, the easier the soothing for the fanbase if Murray accepts prospect types from another team for him because, yeah, ROR was available but may have walked out on you in a year. Now you have another 19 year old and draft picks to hang hope on.

It is a triple hedge for Buffalo from a PR standpoint.

I'm willing to bet Myers is gone by the deadline. I heard Murray talk his first few months.......he might as well have been doing his Pacino impression and ask Myers to go fishing with him....

I think the way around the contract issues is a conditional pick, or by making them take Cody Hodgson for a pick.

O'Reilly is a good fit and exactly the sort of player Murray said he would target.

I just really worry about our young defence without Myers.

If they take Hodgson away, then I think that would be the deal to do. I wouldn't worry about defense, seems like solid D men shuffle around a lot more than solid top-6 forwards. I like Myers, but I like the idea of Hodgson off this team more.

The contract stuff scares me a bit, but any sort of Myers-O'Reilly deal is very intriguing. We would suddenly be looking at a group of centers consisting of McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, O'Reilly, and then some of the other prospects who may or may not pan out in a few years (and yes, I realize there are still some question marks in that list). They would be a whole hell of a lot closer to where I have wanted this team to get back to for years now, where they are so deep at center that they have a few of them skating on the wings. That's the kind of move that really kick starts a rebuild.

I hope they consider it. Ideally, it seems like the summer would be the right time for something like this. That will be the time where O'Reilly can actually talk about a contract extension.

The contract stuff scares me a bit, but any sort of Myers-O'Reilly deal is very intriguing. We would suddenly be looking at a group of centers consisting of McEichel, Reinhart, Girgensons, Grigorenko, O'Reilly, and then some of the other prospects who may or may not pan out in a few years (and yes, I realize there are still some question marks in that list). They would be a whole hell of a lot closer to where I have wanted this team to get back to for years now, where they are so deep at center that they have a few of them skating on the wings. That's the kind of move that really kick starts a rebuild.

I hope they consider it. Ideally, it seems like the summer would be the right time for something like this. That will be the time where O'Reilly can actually talk about a contract extension.

In that scenario Grigorenko goes to the left wing (where I think on the Sabres he has to end up anyway) and McEichel is your #1, Reinhart your #2 and O'Reilly your #3.

While I think that would work for me trading for him prior to July 1 is a bad idea because what if he thinks he is owed a pay raise. He is already at the top of where I would want to pay him. His cap hit is 6million, he will be looking for term of probably 5-7 years. Now I might pay him 6mil for that but what if he wants 7 or 8? This kid has held out twice now in his young career for contracts. He has only topped 20g once and 60pts once. His sh% in that year was .39 above his average which suggests it was an anomaly. Not sure I want 35million tied up in him over 5 years. It's a tough call to make. I just dont want to trade for him, pay him then see him be Hodgson or Stafford. O'Reilly looks to be a 50pt a year player in the 15g range. What is that worth?

I make no move right now. With McEichle we already have ROR in Girgs (a 3c). If we draft outside of McEichle then i go after ROR.

I still make the move. Girgensons can be moved to the top line as a winger and serve two purposes. First he will improve his goal total with McEichel setting him up. Second McEichel is going to be targeted by other teams, Zemgus will be out there to watch his back.

I'm willing to bet Myers is gone by the deadline. I heard Murray talk his first few months.......he might as well have been doing his Pacino impression and ask Myers to go fishing with him....

I'll take the bet.

I think you currently owe me on a prior Kassian/Hodgson bet, and we have the Bills/Sabres bet (which is looking good for you) outstanding -- is that right?

I'll take the bet.

I think you currently owe me on a prior Kassian/Hodgson bet, and we have the Bills/Sabres bet (which is looking good for you) outstanding -- is that right?

OK...you're on.

You hit 2 in a row on me. If you hit this.....I will get something for you at the Sabres Alumni Wine Festival. It all goes to cancer research, so everyone wins.

don't be worried. Zadorov and Risto are good to go. Two big puck moving physical dmen make Myers expendable anyway.

Here's my problem with that thinking at the present time:

Benoit - 1G 5A -7 TOI: 18:26

Meszaros- 1G 5A -8 TOI: 17:43

Myers- 1G 7A -10 TOI: 25:17

Zadarov - 2G 6A -11 TOI: 19:29

Weber - 1G 5A -13 TOI: 17:08

Strachan - 0G 5A -13 TOI: 18:45

Ristolainen - 3G 5A -23 TOI: 20:01

Gorges - 0G 6A -26 TOI: 22:29

Everyone gets giddy about Ristolainen but at the moment he's definitely not stopping the opposition as well as we would like him. Sure both Zadarov and Ristolainen project well and I largely agree that the Sabres probably don't need him in the future, but they need him now.

I'm not all that jazzed about a guy who has played hardball his entire career and has little to show for it. He's not bailing out the Avalanche this year. They have talent. Why would I expect ROR to do anything for the Sabres who have very little talent?

I think TM would be wise to keep Myers, Zadarov, and Ristolainen around for a few more years. Perhaps you get something like a Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson or a Vatanen, Fowler, Lindholm situation.

Here's my problem with that thinking at the present time:

Benoit - 1G 5A -7 TOI: 18:26

Meszaros- 1G 5A -8 TOI: 17:43

Myers- 1G 7A -10 TOI: 25:17

Zadarov - 2G 6A -11 TOI: 19:29

Weber - 1G 5A -13 TOI: 17:08

Strachan - 0G 5A -13 TOI: 18:45

Ristolainen - 3G 5A -23 TOI: 20:01

Gorges - 0G 6A -26 TOI: 22:29

Everyone gets giddy about Ristolainen but at the moment he's definitely not stopping the opposition as well as we would like him. Sure both Zadarov and Ristolainen project well and I largely agree that the Sabres probably don't need him in the future, but they need him now.

I'm not all that jazzed about a guy who has played hardball his entire career and has little to show for it. He's not bailing out the Avalanche this year. They have talent. Why would I expect ROR to do anything for the Sabres who have very little talent?

I think TM would be wise to keep Myers, Zadarov, and Ristolainen around for a few more years. Perhaps you get something like a Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson or a Vatanen, Fowler, Lindholm situation.

Hajt, Schoenfeld, Virta

Hajt, Schoenfeld, Virta

Risto's got an edge Virta never had.

The other two are top-10 all-time Buffalo d-men.

So, not too bad.

Our 2013 defencemen are probably going to get the Myers treatment.

Right now their promise forgives all mistakes even though, in truth, Risto has been an OK 4/5 and Zad's been mostly 6/7 with flashes of top-pairing play.

Four years from now they might be legit 2/3 guys and they will be regularly kicked for not being Chris Chelios.

Nobody is trading McDavid. Including the Oilers. If they were to pick second then i could see them trading Eichle for a huge return. I don't trade Tanks proposal for Eichle.

Come on, the future of american hockey deserves to have his name spelled correctly. I'm pretty sure you're doing it out of spite at this point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.