GDT: Columbus vs Buffalo, 7pm

wjag

First off, I think Weber has a place on the bottom pair of a good team.

The Sabres will not be serious about winning until they get rid of Foligno and Hodgson.

I would like to see Benoit replaced by Zadarov.

Benoit and Mezaros was a pairing I did not like. I want Pysyk back. Pysyk - Mezaros would work

Compared to last October that was much, much better. I'm with PA, if we can have 81 games exactly like that, ill be a happy fan.

Outshot 40-22, CBJ hit 3 goalposts in the 1st period, it was fairly one-sided, and looked a LOT like last year....and this was against a team with several key injuries and whose star player just joined the team yesterday.

Looks like they are going to struggle again offensively. I'm thinking when Reinhart gets sent back to junior don't even call up Grigs and let him continue to develop in Rochester. You still have Kaleta, Flynn and Larson to put back in the lineup. Complete the tank.

What if one of those guys end up being horrendous?

I highly doubt it!

First off, I think Weber has a place on the bottom pair of a good team.

The Sabres will not be serious about winning until they get rid of Foligno and Hodgson.

I'm sure both won't be here in the next few years.

My take

• I've been among his critics, so I have to say right up top: that Mike Weber can play on my team any day.
  • Gorges and Myers didn't play against first-line forwards tonight, so maybe that's why they often looked like a legitimate first-line pairing.
  • Reinhart doesn't look ready, but that sweet feed to Hodgson in the third showed what he is capable of
  • I saw some some good and some bad from the captain tonight. His penalty was real bad.
  • It's going to be a frustrating season for Jhonas. He was good. The goal support was not.
  • Meszaros and Benoit both get out of position too much. Maybe pairing one with Pysyk will make a difference.
  • Penalty kill looked good, other than the Mez overpursuit on the goal. Liked what 8 did there, and his five-on-five play as well.
  • Anyone still saying Girgensons doesn't have enough talent to step above the third line?
  • His line was the team's best, but I can't help but wonder if Stewart's skill set would be more effective paired with Hodgson. Stewart was the only guy tonight whose play screamed "Get me the Puck. I can score."
  • The passing and positioning in the first was as good as we've seen here in a few years, but both faded as the night went on.
  • I liked how we were able to roll the lines. There is definitely more depth on this team.
  • That was the Sabres team I expect to see most of the season: a good effort, just not quite good enough. It looked like the Hasek/Nolan Sabres with the blocked shots, the puck battle and the ice tilted the wrong way.

Edited by dudacek

My take

• I've been among his critics, so I have to say right up top: that Mike Weber can play on my team any day.
  • Gorges and Myers didn't play against first-line forwards tonight, so maybe that's why they often looked like a legitimate first-line pairing.
  • Reinhart doesn't look ready, but that sweet feed to Hodgson in the third showed what he is capable of
  • I saw some some good and some bad from the captain tonight. His penalty was real bad.
  • It's going to be a frustrating season for Jhonas. He was good. The goal support was not.
  • Meszaros and Benoit both get out of position too much. Maybe pairing one with Pysyk will make a difference.
  • Penalty kill looked good, other than the Mez overpursuit on the goal. Liked what 8 did there, and his five-on-five play as well.
  • Anyone still saying Girgensons doesn't have enough talent to step above the third line?
  • His line was the team's best, but I can't help but wonder if Stewart's skill set would be more effective paired with Hodgson. Stewart was the only guy tonight whose play screamed "Get me the Puck. I can score."
  • The passing and positioning in the first was as good as we've seen here in a few years, but both faded as the night went on.
  • I liked how we were able to roll the lines. There is definitely more depth on this team.
  • That was the Sabres team I expect to see most of the season: a good effort, just not quite good enough. It looked like the Hasek/Nolan Sabres with the blocked shots, the puck battle and the ice tilted the wrong way.

Very good assessment especially on Reinhart. I'm all about not calling up Grigs until the injuries mount. Larson, Kaleta and Flynn can fill the void until the tank is complete.

I have to admit it sucks routing against this team but the offense if it looks like it did tonight this season will be bad. They looked like a pickup game with as many 2 on 1 Columbus had in those few minutes in the second.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but Reinhart looked like he knew where to be from a positioning standpoint most of the night. He's never been an explosive player so I'm not expecting that out of him. Not a terrible performance by any stretch. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the next eight games, preferably with bigger wingers who can create space. At least get Stewart on a line with him.

GO SABRES!!!

Perhaps I'm in the minority, but Reinhart looked like he knew where to be from a positioning standpoint most of the night. He's never been an explosive player so I'm not expecting that out of him. Not a terrible performance by any stretch. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do in the next eight games, preferably with bigger wingers who can create space. At least get Stewart on a line with him.

GO SABRES!!!

He did look like positioning was pretty strong from him but I think people will want to see him take off with the puck instead of moving it so much. It almost looks like he is too timid to hold onto the puck. He's young and most 18 year olds don't step into the nhl right away without being highly skilled. He will get there but he will be gone back to juniors at the end of 9 games.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

Sucks being on the West Coast and not being able to watch live with you guys, So I going to pull a Feeman multi-quote and catch up on what I missed.

i'm more interested to see how game-81 GTD threads compare from 2014 and 2015.

Are you kidding? The threads will be packed as we all cheer on the other guys while keeping our eyes glued to the Calgary, Carolina and Islanders' scoreboards.

I miss Rick

How can you not? I like the choice of Dunleavy though. They needed to hire someone who is very unlike RJ in style. Dunleavy is a pro.

Is it just me or does Reinhart flail his arms more than most players while skating without the puck?

Falling down a lot again tonight, too.

Risto s struggling tonight

I didn't see that. I thought he wasn't much of a factor either way.

Huh? How can you watch this and think it's NHL hockey?!

Were you spending more time watching the game or the five girls at the bar?

I think Hodgson and a very good prospect will be traded for an emerging young player sooner, rather than later.

...and on your second point, so would I.

...and this was against a team with several key injuries and whose star player just joined the team yesterday.

Can't ignore that fact, but you also can't ignore that was a very disciplined, high-effort performance by the Jackets.

I watched a lot of Reinhart in junior. He was elite in terms of finding and exploiting open ice for himself and his teammates. He didn't need others to do it for him. His positioning is fine, but he hasn't shown that special creativity, and he is getting exploited in the contact areas. I think Hodgson is just a bad fit to play with him.

Edited by dudacek

Hehe. Reinhardt. Good one Qwksnd. Gypsy Jazz.

:P

We looked like we tried, and were not very talented, what a surprise.

-Zemgus looked like Zemgus. I know some were worried that he was MIA in pre-season. Well, worry not.

-Myers was assertive and decisive. Swooping up ice and making the right play. I thought Weave's prediction of a Myers rush ending in a goal was going to come true several times.

-Reinhart looked like a rookie. He know the right place to be, but he's still not asserting himself or thinking faster than everyone else. Unless he impresses big time in the next 8 games I'd prefer he get sent down.

-I agree with Sizzle on Hodgson and Foligno. Both made me groan a lot tonight.

-Ristolainen is an NHL defenseman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.