Terry and Kim Pegula, owners of the Sabres AND the Bills

Hank

I would imagine they would both have to distance themselves from it. That one looks like a huge conflict of interest if it stays anywhere near the couple.

He bought into it in 2011 I think. Could the reason he got into it was to get closer to NFL guys because he had interest in buying the team back then?

I'll say it again: the sports gods have given us something fantastic. The heavens have opened and delivered a multi-billionaire with deep local ties who loves both of our teams.

He's not going to move the teams -- it would never even occur to him to do so. And he's not going to cut corners, run them on the cheap and try to gouge as much profit as possible out of them -- that would also never even occur to him.

Playoff teams come and go. Even championships come and go (or so I've heard). But franchises do not. The Bills ain't goin' nowhere. And within a few years they're going to have a good team again and it's going to stay that way.

Hallelujah.

I'll say it again: the sports gods have given us something fantastic. The heavens have opened and delivered a multi-billionaire with deep local ties who loves both of our teams.

He's not going to move the teams -- it would never even occur to him to do so. And he's not going to cut corners, run them on the cheap and try to gouge as much profit as possible out of them -- that would also never even occur to him.

Playoff teams come and go. Even championships come and go (or so I've heard). But franchises do not. The Bills ain't goin' nowhere. And within a few years they're going to have a good team again and it's going to stay that way.

Hallelujah.

And it's funny how these things work. If you went back 5 years and asked people if they had any clue who Terry Pegula is, they'd be clueless. He essentially came out of nowhere and now has the entire hopes of the city squarely on his shoulders.

A word of warning: do not go after Kim for meddling, I believe several posters will start lobbying the Pegulas to frack your yard if you say bad things about her.

PA knows better than to stow thrones at St. Kim Pegula (née Kerr). Or at least he bettah.

Hallelujah.

Good stuff - especially that piece.

Hallelujah.

In a couple years expect writers to hate the "smug" Buffalo fans whose teams have both won multiple championships.

Here's something else: Jimbo's cancer resurfaced (or at least we learned about it) within a few days of RWS passing away. Now we get sorta the mirror image (at least for now), with great news about both Jimbo and the team staying (not to mention a fairly shocking road win to start the season).

And this: while I wouldn't be surprised if TP works on getting a new stadium, I am pretty confident that whatever public money he gets will be towards the low end of the public payout spectrum and I am certain that he won't hold the Bills hostage in order to extort a new stadium out of the public till. I would also be pretty confident that if there is a new stadium, it will be downtown, and not part of any sleazy West Seneca development deal. I also wouldn't be surprised if he just decides to stay in the Ralph indefinitely.

Finally: once more, with feeling: GFY, JBJ. Trying to steal a city's team -- when that city consistently bleeds for the team and fills the stadium despite years of crappy teams -- is one of the lowest things a man can do. What goes around, comes around. You'll get yours.

Hallelujah.

Good post.

The bolded is why I was leaning towards preferring this outcome to a winning bid by TG.

Here's something else: Jimbo's cancer resurfaced (or at least we learned about it) within a few days of RWS passing away. Now we get sorta the mirror image (at least for now), with great news about both Jimbo and the team staying (not to mention a fairly shocking road win to start the season).

And this: while I wouldn't be surprised if TP works on getting a new stadium, I am pretty confident that whatever public money he gets will be towards the low end of the public payout spectrum and I am certain that he won't hold the Bills hostage in order to extort a new stadium out of the public till. I would also be pretty confident that if there is a new stadium, it will be downtown, and not part of any sleazy West Seneca development deal. I also wouldn't be surprised if he just decides to stay in the Ralph indefinitely.

Finally: once more, with feeling: GFY, JBJ. Trying to steal a city's team -- when that city consistently bleeds for the team and fills the stadium despite years of crappy teams -- is one of the lowest things a man can do. What goes around, comes around. You'll get yours.

AND the home opener is right around the corner after all this good news and the opponent couldn't have been anymore storybook than the ####ing fish. How perfect will it be if Jimbo leads them out of the tunnel and the tribute to Ralph segues into an "introduction" of Pegulas and then the Bills win 58-24 just like on that glorious late summer afternoon so many years ago the 1st time these franchises met.

Wow I'm glad the Pegula's will be owning the Bills. I believe they have the Sabres in the right and capable hands with Murray and company. And believe they will get their with the Bills as well. I still hope they expand the scouting staff for the Bills and do whatever they can to make this team a legimate contender year in and year out instead of being the laughing stock or farm team for the rest of the NFL. The first thing they have to do is stop letting the players they draft walk after they become solid players. That revolving door is part of the reason why they haven't done $hit in all these years plus the QB situation. As an owner I never understood why wouldn't you want to put a solid team together and then do your best to keep the cupboards filled with solid talent like the Red Wings and the Patriots do. Yes you have to sometimes tear it down and start all over but it's a small scarifice for a few seasons in order to be good for a long time. Now McDavid or Eichel would be the dream scenario!

Are they the only owners who own two professional teams in one city?

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I just scanned through a list of NFL owners and I won't pretend to know much about many of the guys, but I do know that Paul Allen is a multiple owner.

But do these owners own 2 teams in the same city. And I'm not talking one major one minor. I'm talking two professional teams.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

But do these owners own 2 teams in the same city. And I'm not talking one major one minor. I'm talking to professional teams.

It has definitely happened before although I'm on a work computer and can't really look it up at the moment. NFL rules even stipulate that the only way you can own an NFL franchise and another team in one of the other major sports is if they are in the same city.

But do these owners own 2 teams in the same city. And I'm not talking one major one minor. I'm talking two professional teams.

Ahhh crap, nfreeman moved the thread. A quick google search showed Tom Benson as the owner of both the Saints and the Pelicans. I have no idea if there are other NFL owners like this, but I'm sure you'll find a few if you look at any combination of big four sport owners.

Now the dream scenario would be landing McDavid next year in the NHL draft and the Bills expanding the scouting department and get better at picking solid talent but most importantly keeping the players they draft in Buffalo that turn out to be solid players stay in Buffalo.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

AND the home opener is right around the corner after all this good news and the opponent couldn't have been anymore storybook than the ####ing fish. How perfect will it be if Jimbo leads them out of the tunnel and the tribute to Ralph segues into an "introduction" of Pegulas and then the Bills win 58-24 just like on that glorious late summer afternoon so many years ago the 1st time these franchises met.

Now you're getting greedy.

Still, it's a pretty tantalizing thought...

I, for one, would like to share the following.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO YEAHHHHHHHHHHH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kwhUhLp5U0

Dude -- can you please control the potty mouth?

George Santayana to the Pegula knob-fest, George Santayana.

I forget his famous quote...

The Buffalo News: The source added that Bon Jovi and his group signed a waiver during negotiations that they would not move the team to Toronto or any other city and that the group was engaged in talks with unidentified entities to build a new stadium in Western New York

Edited by PASabreFan

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.