Official: NHL expanding to Vegas for '17-18

Hoss

My understanding about a team in Milwaukee is that the Hawks won't allow it, just like the Leafs won't allow Hamilton or Markham.

NHL has already said that Toronto has no say in a second Toronto team. I highly doubt Chicago has a say in Milwaukee. I think the days of territorial debates about expansion/relocation are over.

NHL has already said that Toronto has no say in a second Toronto team. I highly doubt Chicago has a say in Milwaukee. I think the days of territorial debates about expansion/relocation are over.

Of all the cities that don't have an NHL team, Milwaukee is easily at the top of the list for most deserving. It's somewhat of a travesty that they don't already have one IMO. Wisconsin is a state with a fantastic hockey culture and Milwaukee is a big enough city to support a team there through thick and thin. And yet we still hear next to nothing about them ever being in the mix. I hope you are right that these days are ending (although I don't think Sabres fans should be in favor of a 2nd Toronto team). But when the NHL is proposing putting a team in another team's backyard, can't the existing team veto the idea singlehandedly?

I've always thought another Minnesota team and a team in Milwaukee makes sense. Wisconsin should probably have a team. But there's a lot that must happen and be in place before that becomes a possibility. My hope is that all these places do indeed file and they get some serious plans in place quickly so this can happen without any major bumps in the road.

I still refuse any arguments about talent dilution. There is more talent now than there ever has been (by a long shot) and it just continues to grow. Expansion will further grow the game. I'm looking forward to it.

I love Duluth.  Anyone who gets a chance to visit (preferably in the summer) should check it out.  But with only 270,000 or so people in the metro area, no TV market, and no corporate dollars... an AHL team in Duluth would be great!

Seattle had two bids submitted for expansion from two different potential owners

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-likely-to-have-at-least-two-expansion-bids-from-seattle/

I would like to add the idea of not building the Arena in DT Seattle is troubling.  Millennials are migrating back to cities because of jobs and activities. They want to live where the action is and they will be fueling the future of the NHL with their money.  Stop building arenas 20miles from where ppl live. 

Seattle had two bids submitted for expansion from two different potential owners

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-likely-to-have-at-least-two-expansion-bids-from-seattle/

I would like to add the idea of not building the Arena in DT Seattle is troubling.  Millennials are migrating back to cities because of jobs and activities. They want to live where the action is and they will be fueling the future of the NHL with their money.  Stop building arenas 20miles from where ppl live. 

It's not a millennial thing.  It's a 20-something thing.  It was the same way 10 years ago and 10 years before that.

• 2 weeks later...

Today is the deadline. It sounds like the Tukwila arena is the only Seattle arena with a shot. We should hear sometime today (probably unofficially) which cities filed for expansion.

Quebecor: We confirm that we submitted our candidacy for the #NHL expansion process in order to bring the #Nordiques back to #Québec City.

So far that's the only official confirmation. I expect we'll get Las Vegas confirmation. Tukwila is very likely to have submitted.

A Houston group said last night that they are committed to bringing an NHL team to the city but said they will not be submitted an application.

A good thing to come out of this is that the league will have a good idea of cities for relocation if certain cities don't get expansion franchises.

With Seattle losing momentum this could get interesting. Vegas is a lock, in my opinion. I would still think Seattle has an edge if the Tukwila group does apply and is serious. QC is at a large disadvantage largely due to the weakness of the Canadian dollar.

Edited by Hoss

Today is the deadline. It sounds like the Tukwila arena is the only Seattle arena with a shot. We should hear sometime today (probably unofficially) which cities filed for expansion.

Quebecor: We confirm that we submitted our candidacy for the #NHL expansion process in order to bring the #Nordiques back to #Québec City.

So far that's the only official confirmation. I expect we'll get Las Vegas confirmation. Tukwila is very likely to have submitted.

A Houston group said last night that they are committed to bringing an NHL team to the city but said they will not be submitted an application.

A good thing to come out of this is that the league will have a good idea of cities for relocation if certain cities don't get expansion franchises.

With Seattle losing momentum this could get interesting. Vegas is a lock, in my opinion. I would still think Seattle has an edge if the Tukwila group does apply and is serious. QC is at a large disadvantage largely due to the weakness of the Canadian dollar.

I think the East/West divide and large US markets without teams will have more to do with it. It's a tough sell to say QC will do more for the LEAGUE than Seattle, KC, Vegas, SLC (hat tip to Chris), or even Houston. I have no doubt QC would have the best atmosphere and fan support though.

We do the calculations every year.  And, Houston always comes out on top (based on a reasonable set of assumptions).  The problem with the market is Les Alexander, who owns the Toyota Center and its primary tenant the Houston Rockets, isn't interested in the NHL and won't allow another owner to use his building.  So it'd take a new arena to get the NHL to Houston and that won't happen.

For what it's worth, that's not a completely accurate assessment. Alexander was promised the Edmonton Oilers a few years ago and it turned out to be a hoax to get an ownership group together in Edmonton to keep the team there. That really spoiled Alexander's desire to bring the NHL there after he kind of tweaked Bob McNair who owns the Texans and who owned the Aeros back in the day. Rich people get their feelings hurt too.

Having said that, I'm not sure Houston would support an expansion franchise. It would take too long to get a fan base and the easiest way to do that is have an immediate winner.

Edited by jsb

I thought the league had QC as one of the locks for expansion or relocation like vegas and seattle since the arena is almost done and it hinged more on finding an owner with the money to do it more then anything.

I know MLB has montreal as one of the locks to get a relocated team or expansion once they can get a deal for a new stadium

For what it's worth, that's not a completely accurate assessment. Alexander was promised the Edmonton Oilers a few years ago and it turned out to be a hoax to get an ownership group together in Edmonton to keep the team there. That really spoiled Alexander's desire to bring the NHL there after he kind of tweaked Bob McNair who owns the Texans and who owned the Aeros back in the day. Rich people get their feelings hurt too.

Having said that, I'm not sure Houston would support an expansion franchise. It would take too long to get a fan base and the easiest way to do that is have an immediate winner.

Buffalo was played for a patsy too before they got the Sabres.  It's all part of playing the game.  The league got the Knoxes to invest in the struggling Oakland Seals in in 1969 in an effort to keep them afloat before finally awarding them the Sabres franchise in 1970.  To gain entry into the fraternity of NHL owners, especially to bring the league to a new city, one has to learn how to work with the other owners.  Part of that is not unlike the role of being a pledge to a fraternity.  You have to get through that "initiation" before they'll let you in.

@CBCAlerts: Report: #QuebecCity, #LasVegas only cities to submit #NHL expansion bids. #Seattle, #KansasCity, #Hamilton-area out. http://t.co/biqx1hKFaG

Deadline isn't until 5 pm Eastern.

ChrisDaniels5: City of #Tukwila spokesperson says no word yet on whether Bartoszek group has submitted #NHL bid. City still working on EIS. #TukwilaArena

If only Vegas and QC filed I could see the league saying forget it and sticking at 30. Or just taking those two.

It's still early in the process and there's a chance more are still being filed... But if it's true they just got two then the NHL misplayed it badly. They made the window way too soon and quickly which pretty much only allowed the two teams who already had stadiums get in: QC and Vegas.

If they wanted to get more applications there should've been more time for others to get financials and other paperwork organized.

Craig Custance: Reached out to Bartoszek group regarding today's expansion deadline. No public comment at this time but they remain in communication w/NHL.

They have 30 minutes left... If they're still in communication for the league that sounds like a deadline extension waiting to happen.

Edited by Hoss

Las Vegas is still a lock. I'm still betting they want to use QC for relocation of Arizona, Carolina or Florida.

I bet Seattle gets it together at some point over the next few months and they get the 32nd team. Really hoping for 2/3 new teams. New excitement, new talent and a growing game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.