Jeanneret Diagnosed with Throat Cancer

That Aud Smell

NHL Tonight has a nice thing running about RJ at the end of each showing, playing 10 of his calls.

"Alexander Mogilny! Who said this guy is afraid to fly? He just left a vapor trail!"

you really are a turd. This announcement turns you on doesn't it? Well have it.

Whoa. A little uncalled for.

One success story, although seemingly not exactly what Rick has:

http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/larry

That's great.

I hope no matter the journey, RJ gives the fans a chance to show their appreciation. I've been amazed how public Jim Kelly has been given his machismo and legendary status. He has humbled and then some, and I am sure he feeds off the love no matter how tough it gets. Fans love RJ. Privacy is fine and everyone is different, but having been through stuff myself, even when I wanted to crawl into my own burrow, friends would bust down the door with food, booze and laughs. I always remember it even though I didn't want it.

That's great.

I hope no matter the journey, RJ gives the fans a chance to show their appreciation. I've been amazed how public Jim Kelly has been given his machismo and legendary status. He has humbled and then some, and I am sure he feeds off the love no matter how tough it gets. Fans love RJ. Privacy is fine and everyone is different, but having been through stuff myself, even when I wanted to crawl into my own burrow, friends would bust down the door with food, booze and laughs. I always remember it even though I didn't want it.

That's just the kind of guy Derek Roy is!

Wow, this is crazy...article just came out talking about the sudden rise in throat/neck cancer in men, and apparently its caused by HPV, the human papilloma virus, the same virus that causes cervical cancer in women...researchers think between 70-90% of throat/neck cancers are caused by this...

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/07/02/why-thousands-of-men-like-j-p-morgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-are-getting-throat-cancer/?partner=yahootix

Edited by matter2003

If anyone has seen/heard Bobby the Brain Heenan in recent years, they know what this could wind up leading to. There's another guys who built his career on his voice and now is a completely different person.

First person I thought of.

Unbelievable. Heartbreaking. Jeanneret helped me fall in love with the Sabres. This is brutal news.

That's great.

I really wish Kelly and his family weren't so public with it. These are great stories, hearing about how many people are visiting, but the only thing I ever see in any of those pictures is how bad he looks. That just serves to remind me of everything that happened with my father-in-law in the past year and I wind up expecting the worst for Kelly.

I really wish Kelly and his family weren't so public with it. These are great stories, hearing about how many people are visiting, but the only thing I ever see in any of those pictures is how bad he looks. That just serves to remind me of everything that happened with my father-in-law in the past year and I wind up expecting the worst for Kelly.

As sad as it is to see, I think it's increasingly important that we humanize athletes both during and after their careers are over. We elevate them to god status and think they're invincible and infallible and then they wind up with all sorts of brain injuries, suicidal tendencies, etc. Showing that a big man like Jim is just human is really something that sports in the US needs culturally.

Wow, this is crazy...article just came out talking about the sudden rise in throat/neck cancer in men, and apparently its caused by HPV, the human papilloma virus, the same virus that causes cervical cancer in women...researchers think between 70-90% of throat/neck cancers are caused by this...

http://www.forbes.co...artner=yahootix

I remember this with Michael Douglas.

A serious question: If someone develops an HPV-related throat cancer, what is the outermost point of past exposure that could have caused the onset of the disease?

My guess is that the virus would need to do its work in a matter of a few years, at most. But maybe that's just wrong -- maybe the virus can live within you for a decade or more, without a cancer being formed.

But even if the virus needs to do its work in fairly short order, the process of getting a diagnosis could take several more years, perhaps -- depending on how the cancer develops.

My point being: I wonder whether and to what extent these HPV-related cancers cause problems within a marriage. Michael Douglas with CZJ is one thing -- they were married somewhat recently and the guy presumably has a ton of wear on the tread. But if you're just an ordinary sort of fella, and you come down with an HPV-caused throat cancer in your late-50s. You not only have to fight for your life, but might you also have some 'splainin to do?

Edit: Google helped me out. There's apparently a potentially huge latency period. http://www.mdanderson.org/transcripts/cancer-newsline/2011/alarming-increase-in-throat-cancer-due-to-hpv-11-28-11.html

As sad as it is to see, I think it's increasingly important that we humanize athletes both during and after their careers are over. We elevate them to god status and think they're invincible and infallible and then they wind up with all sorts of brain injuries, suicidal tendencies, etc. Showing that a big man like Jim is just human is really something that sports in the US needs culturally.

That's how I view it. Jimbo could have wanted to keep that untouchable image intact, but instead he embraced his mortality and frailty, but still is fighting until the final whistle. I can only think that the support boosts him. Nobody likes to see someone suffer or even think about it. Especially when they have legendary status, be it an athlete or a family member.

That's how I view it. Jimbo could have wanted to keep that untouchable image intact, but instead he embraced his mortality and frailty, but still is fighting until the final whistle. I can only think that the support boosts him. Nobody likes to see someone suffer or even think about it. Especially when they have legendary status, be it an athlete or a family member.

At the end of the day, like Rick, people consider Jim a part of their family. This is how Buffalo works. I'd be crushed if a family member hid their debilitating illness from me, so despite the sadness of it all it is nice to feel like we the people of Buffalo are being included in his family. It's reciprocation from the athlete and the voice of Sabres hockey of a sentiment a lot of Buffalonians project onto those public figures but figure may not be a shared sentiment. This lends credence to it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/matthewherper/2014/07/02/why-thousands-of-men-like-j-p-morgan-ceo-jamie-dimon-are-getting-throat-cancer/?partner=yahootix

So are 'women in comfortable shoes' seeing increases in both cancers?

Not trying to make light of anything that's been talked about here, or the situation at hand, but to put a realistic spin on the discussion (based on the data in matter2003's link) the chances of a male coming down with an HPV related cancer is about 1:13,000 in men 18 and older.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.