Jeanneret Diagnosed with Throat Cancer

That Aud Smell

Someone ominously posted after the cancer news that we had heard Rick's last broadcast, we just didn't realize it. I am glad that poster was wrong, and I bet that poster is glad too.

Responding to cancer treatment is probably somewhere around 30% based on the outlook of the patient. The desire to call the Sabres in the Finals will keep him going until Eichel and co are all 23/24.

Responding to cancer treatment is probably somewhere around 30% based on the outlook of the patient. The desire to call the Sabres in the Finals will keep him going until Eichel and co are all 23/24.

That's an intriguing stat. I don't suppose it's based on anything other than your hunch though, is it? I do find it conflicting to hear that so and so "fought off" cancer (maybe someone like Kelly, who's "tough as nails"). It's a compliment of course. But what does it suggest about someone who doesn't make it?

That's an intriguing stat. I don't suppose it's based on anything other than your hunch though, is it? I do find it conflicting to hear that so and so "fought off" cancer (maybe someone like Kelly, who's "tough as nails"). It's a compliment of course. But what does it suggest about someone who doesn't make it?

Yeah, I can't think that's based in any real fact.

It's a hunch based on experience

I shadowed in the cancer ward a lot my senior year of high school. The nurses there were incredibly gung ho about outlook being a big factor. I thought they were probably just good at their jobs, but my teacher (who used to be a nurse) was similarly insistent that it was true. When I got a couple afternoons with the oncologists, they said that it hasn't been directly linked to survival rate, but all agreed it played some role. One of them seemed to lean more towards the nurse POV. My Dad (doctor) believes it too though, so I believe it.

Those patients were the coolest people ever. So much better than sitting in a class room.

It's a hunch based on experience

I shadowed in the cancer ward a lot my senior year of high school. The nurses there were incredibly gung ho about outlook being a big factor. I thought they were probably just good at their jobs, but my teacher (who used to be a nurse) was similarly insistent that it was true. When I got a couple afternoons with the oncologists, they said that it hasn't been directly linked to survival rate, but all agreed it played some role. One of them seemed to lean more towards the nurse POV. My Dad (doctor) believes it too though, so I believe it.

Those patients were the coolest people ever. So much better than sitting in a class room.

I'm sure emotional health does play some role. There's no way it's 30% or anywhere near. The cancer either will respond to treatment, or it won't; the good chemicals that flow around a happy person's body are not going to have that much of an effect. And with stage 4/4+ cancers, no effect (and maybe not with stage 3, either).

I'm sure emotional health does play some role. There's no way it's 30% or anywhere near. The cancer either will respond to treatment, or it won't; the good chemicals that flow around a happy person's body are not going to have that much of an effect. And with stage 4/4+ cancers, no effect (and maybe not with stage 3, either).

Yep. And you're probably right that 30% is high, I've just got good chemicals flowing around my body from the news about Rick.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.