SIGNING: Sabres sign Brian Gionta

Hoss

July 1, 2007 :ph34r:

:o

Oh most definitely. I think we're on track to be as bad as last year, but bringing in the right vets for the kids to grow up with. Loving today.

I don't know. They have added some people that are used to winning and subtracted some real negative assets, IMO. The young players are a little better, if Samson plays and contributes they will be better I think. A lot depends on goaltending, of course

I don't know. They have added some people that are used to winning and subtracted some real negative assets, IMO. The young players are a little better, if Samson plays and contributes they will be better I think. A lot depends on goaltending, of course

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant better in the standings. We may be a little improved on paper (and even that I think is arguable), but so is everyone else around us.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Oh most definitely. I think we're on track to be as bad as last year, but bringing in the right vets for the kids to grow up with. Loving today.

:o

If Reinhart is on the team next year, I think Nolan starts him on the third line with limited minutes and a few healthy scratches so there is not as much pressure on him.

SABRES SIGN GIONTA TO THREE-YEAR CONTRACT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (July 1, 2014) --- The Buffalo Sabres today announced the team has signed forward Brian Gionta to a three-year contract.

Gionta (5'7", 176 lbs., 1/18/79), a 12-year NHL veteran, has spent the past five seasons playing for the Montreal Canadiens, serving as the team’s captain since the 2010-11 season. Prior to the Canadiens, Gionta played seven seasons with the New Jersey Devils, including the 2002-03 Stanley Cup-winning Devils squad. With the Canadiens in 2013-14, he totaled 40 points (18+22) through 81 regular-season games played and added seven points (1+6) in 17 playoff games.

In his 12 NHL seasons, Gionta has amassed 485 points (249+236) in 776 regular-season games. He has also recorded 45 game-winning goals, 74 power-play goals and a plus-65 rating. He has appeared in 112 playoff games, registering 68 points (32+36). In the 2005-06 season, Gionta set the Devils franchise record for goals in a season with 48.

A native of Rochester, N.Y., Gionta was drafted by the Devils in the third round (82nd overall) of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft. He played four seasons at Boston College (1997-98 – 2000-01), captaining the Eagles to a national championship in 2000-01.

@BuffNewsVogl

Canadiens send out farewell video to former captain and new Sabres forward Brian Gionta http://bit.ly/1vsXWgS

From what Murray just said, I think that Gionta was the main reason we got Gorges. Murray didn't call the Habs for Gorges, they called the Sabres, and said that Gorges had just added the Sabres as one of the teams he would go to. Murray said yes and the deal got done quick, all of it starting this afternoon. That had to be because he was pissed at the Habs and spoke with his good friend Gionta.

When was the last time we had a free agency day that was this fun?

Uuhm.... Didn't know that could happen until today, actually....

There is a bigger picture that needs to be stated. The Sabres just signed the Captain of the Montreal Canadians and a solid NHL defenseman with plenty of career left just waived his NTC to play for the Sabres. That has to account for something going forwarded. I would not be surprised if these two moves open up other possibilities, with players looking at the Sabres a little differently.

Beein saying exactly that for a while now, though LaFontaine was still in office when I first had that thought.

Clearly, sending Regier packing has had a positive effect, on the Sabres reputation around the league.

Can we finally bury the "no one wants to come to Buffalo" falicy now? So tired of reading that.

Yea. Although people will point to him being from here so that adds to it. They'll point to Gorges being linked to Gionta and discount his signing as well. I realize Moulson has family from the "area" but he wanted to come back here. So, I think between ALL of those we should be able to put it to bed.

Can we finally bury the "no one wants to come to Buffalo" falicy now? So tired of reading that.

You bought that line?

That was a direct feed into Murray's ear from the PR guys.

I'm sure if you gave Murray a 10 question quiz about the city that a 5 year old could nail 9....he'd probably get 2 if we are lucky. He just wants to build a team and do well. (Although now they will probably make him read a book on the history of Buffalo and have a 4 hour tutorial on The Hatch and the Kazoo Factory)......

I don't know what line you're referring to. I'm in D.C. and not able to watch the pressers until I get back. However I am reading a lot and the facts seem to indicate that there are varied and valid reasons to want to come play in and for Buffalo as there are for any team in the league.

I don't know what line you're referring to. I'm in D.C. and not able to watch the pressers until I get back. However I am reading a lot and the facts seem to indicate that there are varied and valid reasons to want to come play in and for Buffalo as there are for any team in the league.

Oh, there always are reasons.

I'm sorry....in the Murray presser that was linked here, Murray said something about "You guys always say Buffalo isn't a destination."

It just sounded like a plant given the fact Murray has talked to the media 5 times in his life here, never on free agency, and he admitted the other day they want to train him.

He also caught himself lying....and corrected it with something funny. He said "I don't know" in response to if he was done...then he paused, smiled and said "Yes I do but I'm not telling you."

The guy is just a good dude. I hope he sticks it out without losing his marbles here. Today was a good step forward.

There is a bigger picture that needs to be stated. The Sabres just signed the Captain of the Montreal Canadians and a solid NHL defenseman with plenty of career left just waived his NTC to play for the Sabres. That has to account for something going forwarded. I would not be surprised if these two moves open up other possibilities, with players looking at the Sabres a little differently.

I think getting Moulson back also sends the same message. Gionta you could say was lured by his home team growing up, without knowing what it would really be like with the Sabres. Moulson knows exactly what he's coming back to, and he likes it. That's a huge endorsement.

You bought that line?

That was a direct feed into Murray's ear from the PR guys.

I'm sure if you gave Murray a 10 question quiz about the city that a 5 year old could nail 9....he'd probably get 2 if we are lucky. He just wants to build a team and do well. (Although now they will probably make him read a book on the history of Buffalo and have a 4 hour tutorial on The Hatch and the Kazoo Factory)......

I don't agree. It's very much in TM's interest to promote Buffalo as a player destination.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.