Prediction Time: What kind of July 1 will it be for the Sabres?

nfreeman

It's go time.  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Sabres make any big, splashy moves tomorrow (i.e. any top-line forwards or 1st-pairing defensemen or $30MM+ contracts)?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Will they make any "medium-sized" moves tomorrow (i.e. 2nd-pair defenseman or 3rd-line forward or $15MM+ contract)?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Which of the following UFAs will sign with the Sabres this summer (i.e. not necessarily tomorrow)? Choose as many as you like.

• Gionta
    • Hemsky
    • Ray Whitney
    • David Legwand
    • Milan Michalek
    • Moulson
    • Ott
    • Setoguchi
    • Brian Boyle
    • Shawn Thornton
    • Joni Pitkanen
    • Volchenkov
    • Meszaros
    • Orpik
    • Willie Mitchell
    • Anton Stralman
    • Mark Fayne
    • Nick Schultz
    • Komisarek
    • Other forward (please specify)
    • Other defenseman (please specify)

Geez, I hate being first in these polls. I never really know what I'm doing, I just go for the shiny silverware.

I expect Buffalo to be in on pretty much any worthwhile UFA, but, whether any are landed, who knows. I suspect Moulson might be more apt to return than Ott. Orpik will be offered crazy money only a fool would turn down.

We've got so much money, I think I will be surprised if we don't get a name veteran. But I'm expecting more Matt McKenzie, Matt D'Agostini types - young guys who have been cut loose who Murray thinks deserve another chance, and vets looking to move from the press box into the regular lineup.

By the way, the latter two categories will never get a better shot than playing for Ted Nolan, and their agents will know it.

Edited by dudacek

Jarome Iginla......

one can dream. He was Reinhart's favorite player. Who better to learn from?

1 year 12 million. Top line minutes with Reinhart and then pick's his team at deadline for Cup run. Sabres retain salary, receive 2015 1st in the 20's.....everyone wins!

Edited by Warriorspikes51

Jarome Iginla......

1 year 12 million. Top line minutes with Reinhart and then pick's his team at deadline for Cup run. Sabres retain salary, receive 2015 1st in the 20's.....everyone wins!

I thought we were going to sign Tallinder to a 1 year 10 million deal! Just kidding

In all honesty I high doubt any of the big name players come here and to be honest with you I don't want any of the UFA's. Nobody really stands out to me that will make an impact. What the Coyotes traded for Gagner was nothing. The only thing they inherited his salary . We need moves like that. Take on a player who might need a change of scenery and still has room to progress.

If I were the predicting type I would have been pretty wrong about pretty much everything so far since GMTM came on board. So I'm going to not make any predictions about tomorrow because why bother :lol:

Moulson Ott and Orpik and i think everyone has been wrong on murray, but that is what keeps us excited :D

Edited by Heimdall

I'd love to see David Legwand in a Sabres uniform, but I figure he has his sights set elsewhere. Great two-way player who brings leadership and can play in all situations.

Orpik and Moulson would be nice. Gionta doesn't have much tread left on the tires, but he certainly brings leadership. I'd take him.

I think we'll need one more veteran d-man as well. Anyone who still has a couple of years left in the tank and can provide veteran leadership would be fine. Sarich maybe? We can probably trade for a d-man after the cap reality sets in for a few teams and they need to dump salary.

Statsny is my prediction.

This would be a stunner. I just can't get my head around the idea that Stastny would be willing to go to team that is pretty much 3-4 years behind in the process then the team he just played for. Unless he wants he to be the man. All the other options I've read and heard for Stastny is him pretty much slotting into the #2 center spot on a contender. Any hope for Stastny has to be tied up in his desire to be the #1 guy. Which here in Buffalo he would be by a long shot.

I want Strålman, Stasny and Gionta. And I think we get Orpik.

Any interest in former Sabre Chris Butler? Should be fairly cheap and is still only 27?

Jarome Iginla......

i think this idea has some solid potential. couple higher tier free agents get to play first line minutes and lead some young players for 2/3 rds of a season and then get to pick what team they go to for a playoff run? I can see some vets and their agents liking this idea

i think this idea has some solid potential. couple higher tier free agents get to play first line minutes and lead some young players for 2/3 rds of a season and then get to pick what team they go to for a playoff run? I can see some vets and their agents liking this idea

Lets get on the horn right now shall we!! GET IGINLA!!!!!!!

I didn't watch a ton of Flames games this past year, but from what I saw Butler is still a below average defenseman.

Butler is Tim Kennedy on D basically.

This would be a stunner. I just can't get my head around the idea that Stastny would be willing to go to team that is pretty much 3-4 years behind in the process then the team he just played for. Unless he wants he to be the man. All the other options I've read and heard for Stastny is him pretty much slotting into the #2 center spot on a contender. Any hope for Stastny has to be tied up in his desire to be the #1 guy. Which here in Buffalo he would be by a long shot.

Any interest in former Sabre Chris Butler? Should be fairly cheap and is still only 27?

Even with the center ice package, I just don't watch Flames games. Couldn't tell you a thing about his game in the last 3 year's.

He's still pretty young. Now's the time to sign THE contract, and Buffalo is probably willing (or at least able) to offer THE contract. At the end of it, he'll be on a contending team, ideally a centerpiece, and they would need to re-sign him to THE contract V.2 to keep the momentum going. It could work out.

I can not believe for a moment you wasted time typing the name Butler.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.