Around the NHL: 2014-2015

LGR4GM

If only there were some exercise that would strengthen the shoulder and the muscles around it.

I do pull ups for hockey because they keep my joints strong. When I first started playing hockey I couldn't do any and I also had a tendency to hurt my wrists/elbows/shoulders battling for the puck.

That pull-up motion is similar to doing curls, and that motion is similar to doing a stick lift. You gotta have that arm strength to strip the puck. He's going to have a lot of work to do on his upper body strength.

This must be what Ghost feels like when talking about Marfans.

Wow. I wonder how that works with his eligibility, can they send him to junior while injured, and do the missed games count for anything?

Zadorov last year. They can't send him down while he's hurt, but nothing counts towards his games played limit. He counts towards the cap though for the time he's with the big club.

Sounds like the NHL will be adopting a MLB Style Minor League System.

Stephen Whyno @SWhyno · 1h1 hour ago

As has been reported, goal would be to make the ECHL like baseball's AA and AHL like AAA so there's a tiered minor-league system under NHL.

Hmmmm? More contracts than the 50 limit?

Other than what XB said, what's new?

I just got my SI NHL Preview issue, and they have Florida and Edmonton finishing last. (Buffalo/Winnipeg are 2nd to last.)

They are also listed under the "Wait until 2018" category, with the likes of Hurricanes, Senators, Panthers, Flames, Jets and Oilers.

It basically says they added some "veteran punch," but that will not be enough to make up for a lousy offense.

(No Sabres were picked for any of the awards.)

*Nothing earth shattering here, but waiting until 2018? That made me laugh. Competing for the playoffs starts a year from tomorrow night.

*Nothing earth shattering here, but waiting until 2018? That made me laugh. Competing for the playoffs starts a year from tomorrow night.

If the kids are ready. Is Connor McEichel ready to go out of the box? Maybe. Are the other picks? Maybe not.

Will we have the cap space to spend to get veteran free agents that can get us competition-ready? Probably. Are all the veterans we need going to be available in free agency? Probably not.

The draft is just one piece of the puzzle, albeit a large one. And we're surely gonna be hungry for wins when next year starts. And it probably won't take us until 2018 to be relevant. But I'd be genuinely and pleasantly surprised if we're in the 2016 NHL Playoffs. We got a long ways to go.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

If the kids are ready. Is Connor McEichel ready to go out of the box? Maybe. Are the other picks? Maybe not.

Will we have the cap space to spend to get veteran free agents that can get us competition-ready? Probably. Are all the veterans we need going to be available in free agency? Probably not.

The draft is just one piece of the puzzle, albeit a large one. And we're surely gonna be hungry for wins when next year starts. And it probably won't take us until 2018 to be relevant. But I'd be genuinely and pleasantly surprised if we're in the 2016 NHL Playoffs. We got a long ways to go.

Good post. Next year our goal should be competing for a playoff spot. This is not as easy as a few years of tank and we magically have a contender. I think 2017 is the year we will know if this was worth it or not.

Edited by sicknfla

Good post. Next year our goal should be competing for a playoff spot. This is not as easy as a few years of tank and we magically have a contender. I think 2017 is the year we will know if this was worth it or not.

It'll be worth it either way, if nothing else because it's a change and being on the bubble every year wasn't all it was cracked up to be. Maybe I'm not a real fan but the Bills have shown me the way of how to be a fan a team without expecting much. That's what this season is to me: like the Bills, but with hope that it's the beginning of the upswing. I can see 2015-16 being a bubble team on the high end, back where we where before the last two years but with a lot more hope. I'll take that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.